The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 PM

Default X20 vs Blackbird Lucky 13

I was hoping to get some input from those of you who have owned or played these guitars. I don't, unfortunately, have the opportunity to play these guitars before buying. They both look like excellent instruments. I really don't play finger style, but from what I've read the blackbird holds up to strumming too. Any insight as to how these come set up, and how they sound compared to each other. Listening to different videos, I feel like I'd describe the x20 as brighter, more punchy sounding, but I know it's hard to tell from videos sometimes. I also know that something as simple as changing the strings could vary the sound greatly. Anything I could hear from you guys would help! Thanks!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:17 PM

Welcome to the forum Joe. I have both the X20 and the L13. I am not sure which I would recommend. I play both and like both for different reasons. I have had the L13 for about 16 months and the X20 for a little over 2 years.

I like that the X20 has a cutaway and I can reach some pretty high notes fairly easily. I like the lighter string tension because of the shorter scale on the L13 and use it for mostly finger picking. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have gotten the barn door pickup on the X20. It's a powerhouse. I can strum soft or hard and it sounds great throughout.

The L13 has no truss rod which worried me, but the set up is pretty good and is easy to play all the way to the 14/15th fret which is about as far as I go on it. I got the L13 through McNichol and Michael compared it to another he had. Apparently the relief on the L13s can vary quite a bit, so depending on what you want to do you may want to request a certain relief.

I have intentions of getting another X20 at some point because I am interested in learning to play a 12 string version. I just got a Pono AB (baritone uke) for possible use as a substitute guitar for road trips, so it will be a while before I can muster enough family good will to bring home another guitar.

I can go into a lot more detail on sound or playability if you wish. Both are excellent guitars and I got serious offers for both of them from different local guitar players because they fell in love with the sound and feel of one or the other.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:43 PM

I've played both - and although I personally prefer the L13 for my picking style, I did like the X20 as a strummer. In fact it's my favourite of the emeralds I've tried by a considerable amount. I recorded videos of each when I had them on the MacNichol roadtrips if you're interested.
L13 Early Morning Blues
X20 Billy
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-16-2016, 02:08 AM

I have a 2013 version of the L13 and love it. I think it excels as a fingerpicker. An American friend was here to visit and was really blown away by it (new to CF).

Now I don't strum often, so I'm not very good, so I don't know if it is me or the guitar or a bit of both, but I've heard guitars that sound better strummed (or better guitarists?). It might also be the strings that I use - Newtone nickels 11s, which are round core, so very flexible and on a short scale.

You can hear my videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 01-16-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:35 AM

Has anyone tried the MISI battery-less electronics, that are optional on the L13? Is the size similar to a parlor?

And does anyone know what gauge strings come on the L13? Since there is no truss rod, does it play well with different string gauges? What's recommended? Thanks.

Last edited by GSM; 01-16-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:12 AM

I also have the electronics installed. I don't have much experience plugged in with acoustics but everyone who hears it plugged in likes it. To my ears it sounds very similar to how it sounds acoustically.

It is not a big guitar, but I have seen much smaller to. It has a 14inch lower bout, I would guess at 16inch - jumbo, 15inch - OM, 13inch - small parlor.

I have played with 13s and 12s and now play always with the these nickel 11s. The neck just hasn't moved.

It came shipped with Elixir 12s.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-16-2016, 05:39 AM

You guys are great, first of all. Thanks for the responses! How is the playability on these out of the box? I know scale length differs between the two guitars and those differences I understand. Is there anything you guys did or needed to do to improve how easily these guitars play?
Old 01-16-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I also have the electronics installed. I don't have much experience plugged in with acoustics but everyone who hears it plugged in likes it. To my ears it sounds very similar to how it sounds acoustically.

It is not a big guitar, but I have seen much smaller to. It has a 14inch lower bout, I would guess at 16inch - jumbo, 15inch - OM, 13inch - small parlor.

I have played with 13s and 12s and now play always with the these nickel 11s. The neck just hasn't moved.

It came shipped with Elixir 12s.
Thank you so much for your answers. Exactly what I wanted to know! Awesome.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:39 AM

I haven't played either of those but, you ask about body size so I am curious as to what you'd prefer, small Parlour or slightly larger 00 or 000 sized? If it's a small parlour size I'd also consider the Emerald X7 which is very small but sounds much (much) bigger. Strums well and fingerpicks nicely, I love mine.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 AM
Guest 928

tdq & sirwhale;

Great demonstrations of the discussed instruments. I particularly like seeing/hearing two of tdq illustrating both the strum and pick of the X20. And sirwhale, good play, cool vocals. Thank you both for the music.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFro84 View Post
I was hoping to get some input from those of you who have owned or played these guitars. I don't, unfortunately, have the opportunity to play these guitars before buying. They both look like excellent instruments. I really don't play finger style, but from what I've read the blackbird holds up to strumming too. Any insight as to how these come set up, and how they sound compared to each other. Listening to different videos, I feel like I'd describe the x20 as brighter, more punchy sounding, but I know it's hard to tell from videos sometimes. I also know that something as simple as changing the strings could vary the sound greatly. Anything I could hear from you guys would help! Thanks!
Hi Joe,

Although I've played a good number of both models, let me start with the disclaimer that I am a dealer of Blackbird guitars, but I do not sell Emerald, so I wont comment on the X20, except to say that it is much larger than the Lucky 13. In fact, a better comparison to the X20 would be the Blackbird Super OM.

As to the Lucky 13, it's a 00 size guitar, about the size and feel of the Martin CEO7. In fact, tonally it's closer to the Martin than it is to any carbon fiber guitar. Like other guitars from Blackbird, the Lucky 13 has been a favorite with our walk in customer looking for the durability, but not the tone of carbon fiber guitars.

As noted, the L13 is a 00, so bigger than a parlor, but still small enough to be travel friendly. In fact it's only an inch longer than the Taylor GS Mini. The MiSi pickup is light, durable, recharges in minutes, and provides a nice transparent tone plugged in. We've had no complaints.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your quest.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:21 AM

Michael shipped the L13 with two extra (shorter) saddles. I tried all three and have been using the middle one for the last year. I am very happy with it. I get a little buzz if I dig in hard with a pick, but for finger style it's nearly perfect.

I haven't changed anything except the strings on the X20 and messed around with the truss a little. Currently I am using Contact Core Bright Bronze by GHS Acoustics on my X20. I might try dropping to 11s sometime, but I have had these contact core 12s on for the past 6 to 8 months and they are great. I don't know that they are much different from the Elixir nano web 12s I had tried before. Alistair, I bought directly from Emerald, shipped the X20 with Daddario Exp 80/20 strings.

For the L13 I think I currently have Elixir nano web 12s too. I don't know if I would go any lighter for the L13 as I have several sets of 12s that I want to try on it, but I might sometime.

The X20 is a very comfortable guitar to cuddle up with on a couch or to strap on when going on stage. It feels a lot smaller than a dreadnought, but has the sound of a jumbo. I can dig light or hard on it and it sounds great the entire range. I like finger picking with both guitars. The L13 is a fun guitar standing or sitting too and is also louder than it looks. It reminds me most of a Rob Johnson type Gibson.

Some people are put off by the X20's looks and some are attracted to it. I certainly wouldn't leave it sitting anywhere unattended because it's just so much fun to hold and play. The L13 has a very traditional look but then surprises a player because of the extra sound holes.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by mot; 01-16-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 AM

I like all the feedback, it's made this an even harder decision than I thought it would be. I was hoping it would be obvious one way or another, but it seems as if people aren't unhappy with either guitar for any reason. Not that I expected that, both instruments look incredible based on reviews I had read. I want to get into more finger picking style playing, which might make the decision for me, but we will see. I've only ever been a strummer, so I keep that in mind as well. I guess I will keep listening to different videos and trying to decide that way. I don't plan on electronics in the instrument, as I would never plan to play plugged in. Is changing the saddle pretty easy on these if I were to do it myself? I tend to not tinker much with my guitars. Thanks for the heads up on the size of the X7 too. I'll consider that as an option.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:18 AM

You are lucky to have such a difficult decision to make If it comes down to it I suspect you wouldn't be disappointed by either so if you can't make up your mind pick the one you think looks prettiest..........
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-16-2016, 11:40 AM

To throw one more into the mix, the Emerald x10 is great for fingerstyle and is about the same size as an L13. Currently going through a redesign...the original (which I have) is great, so can only imagine what the redesign will be like!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber