The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Hey Phil,
Very cool. Thanks for the link to OLF. I too was wondering how the heck he was going to cut the actual sound hole. : )
Steve
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Thanks. I worked really hard on this one and I'm very happy with the results. It's all going to blend nicely with the rest of the trim as well.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Beautiful work John.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:16 PM
*mahoganut*

Default Short shop visit today...

I stopped by John's shop today out of convenience - being near that part of town - just to see the completed box myself. Wow! Very cool! and the rosette and medallion combination is really striking.

John is building his normal production guitars, and in the "white space" finishing up the guitars he will take to Healdsburg. I also got to see the ABW (Black and White Grand Concert) with the scrimshaw'd medallion put together (neck attached) and it's a beauty. Really great shape, feels good, light - and the woods and medallion make that a very special guitar.

Here's some pics of the completed box - not from my visit, but shots John is taking as the build progresses.

Cheers!

Phil

Although the light is subdued in this next shot, it really does show how the wood colors blend together, and how the rosette and medallion really complement the whole:

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

Last edited by riorider; 05-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:20 PM

Beautiful. I really liked your specs and actually asked John if he had another LS top like yours but alas... I am sure your guitar will turn out to be spectacular as all of John's work. I can't wait to see them all together.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:30 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCK View Post
Beautiful. I really liked your specs and actually asked John if he had another LS top like yours but alas... I am sure your guitar will turn out to be spectacular as all of John's work. I can't wait to see them all together.
Yep, the LS is getting harder to find I know. That's really the reason I originally paid John a build deposit - to assure him I was serious at some point and to reserve that top.

Am I correct in thinking that today I also saw a neck with an unusual headstock backplate that is yours? If so, my most sincere congratulations!

And if you make it to Healdsburg (I cannot this year) you will get to see this 00 in person!!

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 05-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Great looking guitar, Phil and John. Just remember, Phil, the more you're there bothering him, the less work he can get done on it
Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
Great looking guitar, Phil and John. Just remember, Phil, the more you're there bothering him, the less work he can get done on it
Maybe, but it's nice to have company from time to time!

Oh and a couple pics Phil didn't share, but I liked:

There are vastly more, but I'll let Phil share them if he wants to or not.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Absolutely gorgeous, Phil. I love everything about this, except for the grubby paw prints somebody left all over. I love the color of all that wood.
Pat
Old 05-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgilmor View Post
Absolutely gorgeous, Phil. I love everything about this, except for the grubby paw prints somebody left all over. I love the color of all that wood.
Pat
Hey! I resemble that remark...

Old 05-20-2011, 06:02 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Pat
Thanks Pat!! Are we going to see some pictures of something special soon from you?

Phil!!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Paul says he'll take studio pics this weekend, ship on Monday, Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. Karura case came in and fits like a glove. Next week will be a good week, I think.
Pat
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Paul says he'll take studio pics this weekend, ship on Monday, Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise. Karura case came in and fits like a glove. Next week will be a good week, I think.
Pat
I am really looking forward to seeing that one!

Thanks...

Phil
Old 05-21-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
John is working on completing the box today, but I wanted to show a bit more on the medallion and rosette. Rather than post all the rosette pictures here, though, I'll give you a link to the OLF (official luthier's forum) where John has posted the step by step photos.
http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewt...t&sd=a&start=0

Best,

Phil
Wow. Phil and John, I finally made time to check the OLF link. If I tried that the pieces of wood would be scattered around the room and my fingers would be glued together!
The elegance of the finshed product is matched by the skill at conceiving and building it. Well done John

Col
Old 05-21-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Yep, the LS is getting harder to find I know. That's really the reason I originally paid John a build deposit - to assure him I was serious at some point and to reserve that top.
That was a very wise decision!!!

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that today I also saw a neck with an unusual headstock backplate that is yours? If so, my most sincere congratulations!
Yes. That would be me. I am sure you will get to play it before me. Just be nice to her will you? PS. The African Mahogany L-32 says hello! I saw you posted few remarks about her earlier in this thread.

Too bad I can't make it to the show to see all the collection together. It would be neat actually. Let me think about this again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop