The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I'd love to know, too. It's clearly a Gibson jumbo, but what throws me off is that custom double pickguard. I've seen a few Martins with that double pickguard right from the factory, but don't recall seeing any Gibbies that have it. I wonder if it was added custom by a luthier down the line somewhere. Or possibly Steve used to joke about what a heavy-handed player he was. I wish I was that "heavy-handed," then maybe I'd be able to play 1/4 as good as Goodman.

Don't know if you've ever seen this vid of Steve doing "You're the Girl I Love" solo in the studio playing that monster director into a microphone. Even through a one-inch laptop speaker that's one of the best acoustics I've ever heard in my life. What tone. And a real cannon -- a true blaster. And listen to Stevie make it sing. Wow.

Yeah...so pure and unadorned...this was the last song on the ACL+ dvd I have...been looking online but can't find a version w/the ACL take of
The Dutchman"...yet...
Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
Yeah...so pure and unadorned...this was the last song on the ACL+ dvd I have...been looking online but can't find a version w/the ACL take of
The Dutchman"...yet...
Yeah, just brilliant. I really have to sit down and learn this tune someday. Typical Steve -- deep emotion combined with with and humor. A rare artist.

sm
Old 08-24-2019, 06:48 PM

I had the pleasure of seeing him at the Mariposa Folk Festival on Toronto Island in 1972.

He closed with The Ballad of Penny Evans and there wasn’t a dry eye in the crowd

A huge talent, gone far too early.

Steve
Old 08-24-2019, 10:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDenvir View Post
I had the pleasure of seeing him at the Mariposa Folk Festival on Toronto Island in 1972.

He closed with The Ballad of Penny Evans and there wasn’t a dry eye in the crowd

A huge talent, gone far too early.

Steve
I don't think there's a single person I've ever met who didn't say Steve Goodman was the best solo performer they'd ever seen. I mean, it's been 35 years and I STILL haven't seen anyone as good.

scott memmer
Old 08-25-2019, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

You know Scott, I never thought of it that way, but you're right. Whether it was a couple of songs live on the radio, a short set on Sunday afternoon at Club 47, or a full show at night, Steve gave it everything he had. It was almost like he didn't know how many shows he had left and he was going to give everything he had while he could.

As I posted earlier in this thread, I sang Penny Evens for my folk music class back around the time Steve heard it and it really left the whole class in shock.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:51 AM

I was listening to the "Somebody Else's Troubles" CD on my way into work last night. He could write as humorous or poignant songs as anybody. Coupled w/his mastery of the guitar, he really deserved the recognition/accolades his buddy JP was accorded as well...a singular force and thankfully, he's getting rediscovered by way of those reissues of his last 4 albums...
Old 08-25-2019, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

If you think about it, these three friends, John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, and Steve Goodman in the early days. Playing on each others records, writing songs together, producing for each other. Jimmy Buffett became a global superstar and John Prine is a living legend, but Steve was probably the most talented and hard-working of the three.!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Low & Carabone:

I agree with everything you say in your last three posts. Steve WAS by far the most talented in that whole bunch, by far. and I'm sure they'd admit to this day.

One problem for Steve was his records never really gave you an accurate sense of who he was. He was a dynamite live performer, not a studio guy. And because he could do everything, in any musical style, it was probably hard to find a niche where they could market him.

I often reflect that had he lived he could have become Buffett's band leader and would have become a multi-millionaire.

So grateful I got to see him perform in person.

scott memmer
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If you think about it, these three friends, John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, and Steve Goodman in the early days. Playing on each others records, writing songs together, producing for each other. Jimmy Buffett became a global superstar and John Prine is a living legend, but Steve was probably the most talented and hard-working of the three.!
Well said. No one like him.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

I just don't understand it. We should be ashamed. How, in 9 pages of this thread can it be that nobody brought up 'The Chicken Cordon Blues''

''This stuff is so weird, the cockroaches moved next do-or''
Old 08-26-2019, 07:22 AM

Ilstened to this yesterday. Great song.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

I started learning ''City of New Orleans'' yesterday for my jam group. We got off to a slow start last time so I need something to punch it up. You really get a lot out of the song with just strumming and a couple of little moves.

Once I get 12 people strumming and singing the chorus, it will wake up everybody in the neighborhood!
Old 09-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what Steve is playing but two great players, Leo Kottke and David Bromberg are loving it!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I started learning ''City of New Orleans'' yesterday for my jam group. We got off to a slow start last time so I need something to punch it up. You really get a lot out of the song with just strumming and a couple of little moves.

Once I get 12 people strumming and singing the chorus, it will wake up everybody in the neighborhood!
Low, that song is difficult to learn. I now play out with it regularly, but it took my months. So many chords AND words. I would get the chords down, then muff the words; then next time I'd get all the words right and whiff the chords. It literally took me six months. I now play out with it frequently and it always gets the audience going. Glad to hear you're finally tackling it. Let's keep Steve's music alive!

Best to You,
Scott
Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Low, that song is difficult to learn. I now play out with it regularly, but it took my months. So many chords AND words. I would get the chords down, then muff the words; then next time I'd get all the words right and whiff the chords. It literally took me six months. I now play out with it frequently and it always gets the audience going. Glad to hear you're finally tackling it. Let's keep Steve's music alive!

Best to You,
Scott
I can remember years ago playing @ a coworker's party. A couple other guys brought their guitars and I just sorta followed along. When they did "City", they played an alternate read "easier") progression on the last line of the chorus. Having gotten it down some time prior (and being as they stepped into MY wheelhouse) I promptly corrected them and showed them the "right" way...all that Seagram's I'd consumed prompted me to console them by saying something like, "Don't feel bad; it's pretty tough"...ahhh, da good old days...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN