The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM

I'm considering selling my X7. Its in like new condition and has a MacNichol mother of pearl saddle to warm the tone (original saddle also). Send me a PM if you're interested.

BTW, I've played both and you can't go wrong with either!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:24 PM

Stephen,
What color is your X7, does it have a pick up ?is it the Artisan or the Opus model?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Stephan, you have a PM inbound.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Stephan, you have a PM inbound.
PM returned - thanks.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltamontes View Post
Stephen,
What color is your X7, does it have a pick up ?is it the Artisan or the Opus model?
Its a black Opus model. Purchased new from MacNichols right before they closed their doors.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the PM reply, Stephen.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:59 AM

Quote:
JK;
I am really surprised at your observation regarding sound differences in same-model CF guitars. One of the common comments regarding CF instruments is that unlike wooden instruments they are consistent within a given model.
http://youtu.be/omSd7No1ibU
Old 04-28-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Walk in Song View Post
Nice comparison, Frank. No doubt the second guitar in your video sounds a little brighter. A subtle difference like that can come from strings, even saddle fit. Clearly no two guitars will sound identical, but Rainsongs come as close as you will ever get.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Guest 928

I'm with Ted.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Ted, the comments on action concern me, on the RS is a 3/32 to 5/64 action at 12 fret a problem? I have my wood guitar set that low and do not like high action on any guitar.
Someone mentioned the strings on the parlor dragging the bridge and that would be undesirable for sure. Is the action set up easier on the shorty than parlor?
One big plus I just thought of on the CF I had not considered previously is the ability to use any support I want with out worry of ruining the finish on the guitar. Can't use any suction cups on my woods.
Beginning to think the small parlor RS with a neck up support would be a pretty comfortable option, as long as action is no problem.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:14 PM

I use a Neck Up on my Shorty and combined with the shorter neck it is super comfortable. I would imagine even better results for the Parlor since it will elevate the smaller body to a more manageable playing position. Action is high on RS guitars from the factory but can be set very low by shaving down the saddle to your tastes.

The tops and build of these guitars make them so responsive that any loss in projection has proven negligible in my opinion. Besides, Adam Carruth's research has convinced me that optimal break angle is a myth- I've got the saddle pretty low on mine and plan to even go lower. And then of course you have the truss rod to get the relief just right. I will measure later today to see how close I've gotten my 12 fretter to the specs you mentioned.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Ted, the comments on action concern me...
Not sure which comments you are concerned about, but I've sold more Rainsongs than any other dealer out there and I have received zero complaints. Like Taylor and Martin, all Rainsongs are setup 6/64th for the low E at the 12th fret, and you can bring them down a bit if preferred. In fact I find a factory fresh Rainsong to be as playable as any new Taylor, which as we all know is rather good.

As to attaching a suction cup, you should have no problem with any of the current finishes from Rainsong. Obviously a dirty suction cup can scratch any finish, so it's important to use care when attaching things to your guitar if you're concerned about keeping the finish as-new.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:49 PM

thanks Ted spent few days now bouncing back and forth. You have answered pretty muh all concerns i had,so now it's just a matter of which RS to choose. From all i have read seems the logical choice.
I play with the neck up at a 45 degree angle and the head stock at eye level so my left wrist is straight. With the small parlor and a neck up do you think it would be able to achieve this position? My double OO does so since it's only a inch or so smaller may work?
Anyway I will be in touch soon pretty much finished searching now , just needed to go out there and see every option. Only thing I couldn't find was the 13/16" nut width but not a deal breaker..........Jerry
Old 05-07-2016, 03:01 PM

Jerry, there is nothing closer to your 00 Skye than the RS Parlor. Both are based on the Martin 12-fret shape with only a small difference in body size. Going back and forth between the two should be seamless.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:59 PM

Pretty much the conclusion I have come to Ted just need now to decide on which one. Jerry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber