The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Guest 928

Fixed;

I suspect you had the steel string Parlor. I have the nylon string and while I had to adjust to a neck I did not initially like, the sound is warm and lush.

I'm trying to get it down to 2 nylon string guitars--one long scale, one short scale. The RS Parlor is the short scale. The X10N is my current long scale and I am torturing Alistair to replace it with a new iteration.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:21 AM

Hi Evan,

Yes.. the Parlor was a steel string.... most recently I have been having some luck with Martin Silk & Steel strings on my x5 ... that seems to warm up the guitar when strumming but keeping the magical emerald sound when finger picking. It is a hard balance to find ...especially as my ear keeps changing as well. My nylon string ukes has really changed by perception of string sounds ... you may get me to move over to nylon strings eventually... ;-)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
Hi y'all,

I'm considering replacing my Taylor 214ce with a Kevin Michael travel/touring guitar. <snip>
So you're considering replacing a full size acoustic with a 3/4 size travel guitar?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
So you're considering replacing a full size acoustic with a 3/4 size travel guitar?
Considering it given this guitar. I have the 214ce for it's relative durability with deployments, using in the field or traveling, and as a back-up when plugged in. I now live in a constantly high humidity area (70-80% in the house half the year) and like the idea of ease of maintenance of a CF guitar.

The Kevin Michael's sound impressed me, the 3/4 size generally doesn't hurt with what I'm looking to use it for...but the scale length is doing it in for me. Very comfortable neck, but the spacing between frets is a bit tight for my meat hooks.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 PM

I got a chance to play one of these today at Dave's Guitars in La Cross Wisconsin. Picking it up I was surprised to see that the back and sides are not CF, but rather a molded composite like the Ovations. That said, the sound was very impressive and full, with much more base than I expected for a 22.75" scale guitar. Of course the body is something like 4" thick, so maybe the tone is not such a surprise.

I found the scale length just a bit too short. Most folks who play full sized instruments don't seem to mind a 24" scale (which I rather prefer), but 22.75" is really small, and I think would be a bit too far for many. Still, overall I liked it better than my Emerald X7-OS, and it sounded fuller too. BUT, the Emerald cost me $800, while the Kevin Michael was like $2000 used. Nice, but not at that price.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:27 PM

You might consider a Rainsong Shorty if the scale length of the KM is just to short for you. It's 24.75" - normal Gibson short scale (that is, not that short). I much prefer the sound to the RS Parlor - more bass, more heft overall, better tone IMO. It's an OM size body, but with the short scale and 12 frets to the body it feels very comfortable and fairly compact. I love mine, and end up playing it much of the time, especially if the weather is iffy.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I got a chance to play one of these today at Dave's Guitars in La Cross Wisconsin. Picking it up I was surprised to see that the back and sides are not CF, but rather a molded composite like the Ovations...
Hi Steve,

Actually, Ovation uses Lyrachord, which is a molded fiberglass for their bowl back, while according to Ellis Seal, McPherson uses a molded carbon fiber for the back and sides of the Kevin Michael guitars, so they are all CF.

BTW, I love the little Kevin Michaels, but I wish they would have built them just a bit larger, about the size of the GS Mini, and definitely with a longer scale. The guitars would still be travel friendly, but much more versatile.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Steve,

Actually, Ovation uses Lyrachord, which is a molded fiberglass for their bowl back, while according to Ellis Seal, McPherson uses a molded carbon fiber for the back and sides of the Kevin Michael guitars, so they are all CF.

BTW, I love the little Kevin Michaels, but I wish they would have built them just a bit larger, about the size of the GS Mini, and definitely with a longer scale. The guitars would still be travel friendly, but much more versatile.
I stand corrected about the back (though I sure couldn't see any weave), and I completely agree about the desirability of being a bit larger too. But it's still darn expensive.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 AM

Happy New Years all! Thanks for the replies and thoughts. I spent a few hours at my favorite guitar shop in the area, revisited the KevinMichael, compared it with a RS APLE and for kicks played with a used R. Taylor series 1 in Coco/Adi. All great guitars, walked out with the KM. After visiting a few times and looking at my wants/needs verses what I already have, it made the most sense...and I had the most fun with it too!

The RS APLE is a great guitar, very warm sounding and especially great with finger style. I couldn't tell which was louder between that and the KM guitars. The APLE was more warm to my ear, the KM highs are a bit brighter. The kneck on the RS was thicker than I'm used too--it is thinner than the Parlor I'd previously commented on and more comfortable, I could probably make it work if I really wanted the guitar. The KM is about the same feel as what I typically play, so it felt much more familiar and comfortable.

I had fun with the R. Taylor, was really tempted as its a great guitar with beautiful woods. A/B'ing it with my McPherson, I preferred the sound of my guitar--more warmth, volume, and sustain. The RT had very little play, I'm sure it'd probably open up but that's a process for someone else to enjoy. I'm a very happy camper with my final decision.

I'll post a NGD and observations in the coming days. Take care all!
Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 PM

Default Kevin Michael CF owners thoughts

I am thinking a used CA OX or a Journey Overhead in the carbon might be a solution.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-17-2016, 11:11 AM

I like my KM CF a lot...in case anyone was a wondering
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-17-2016, 12:00 PM

Blaker, for what it's worth, I had a chance to sit and compare a number of small body CF guitars for several hours at LA Guitar Sales. There was no one else in the store, so the acoustic environment was very good. I also had Ted play a few things for me so I could hear from the audience side. Demos included: Rainsong Parlor, Kevin Michael, Journey 660, and Blackbird Lucky 13. I also brought my Rainsong WS-1000 so I could compare each to a larger body CF guitar.

I truly LOVE McPherson guitars, and the Kevin Michael is what I was really going to look at. It didn't take but one pass thru them to know the Kevin Michael is not for me. The one I chose overwhelmingly is the Blackbird Lucky 13... the combination of sounboard soundhole, side soundhole, and headstock soundhole provide a truly unique tonal experience for the player. The L13 also amplified MUCH better than any of the others, including my WS-1000 (played thru a Schertler Jam 150 that Ted had in the store).

One man's opinion.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber