The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
How different is the CEO 7 from a standard 00-18? I know the neck profile is different, so if you prefer one or the other, that will affect feel. And the CEO has an Adirondack spruce top rather than Sitka spruce - how different do they sound?

-Ray
I have a 2015 CEO7. It does have the binding problem but I can live with it. I swapped the golden age tuners for Gotohs like many people do. I just played a 00-18 yesterday at a shop. The CEO7 has way more bass and seems to project more. What I liked more about the 00-18 was the highs seemed to be better and it had a closer string spacing which is better when I use a pick. That said, I don't think I'd swap my ceo7 for a 00-18. Maybe a 00-18 with an adi top. I've come close to selling or trading the ceo7 but I can't seem to pull the trigger. I know that it will be near impossible to find a replacement at that size at the price I paid for it used. The neck is thick and the spacing is wider than I care for but overall it's a great guitar. I've been using it as a guitar to keep in Open D lately.

Last edited by UncleJesse; 12-09-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
How different is the CEO 7 from a standard 00-18? I know the neck profile is different, so if you prefer one or the other, that will affect feel. And the CEO has an Adirondack spruce top rather than Sitka spruce - how different do they sound?

-Ray
I finally played them back to back. Hard to find many 00 models on the walls sometimes to compare A to B. My impression on the sound difference was minimal, but the few CEO examples I’ve played feel like you can really hear a drier or vintage warmth in the sound and can bark if you hit it. Maybe the comfy V neck profile, wide string spacing, and sunburst plays tricks on my mind and ears. That particular 00-18, that day in the same room, had chimey highs and sounded good as well but was really new and tight where the CEO was a popular demo that had been there a while. The 00 model that is way cool and different is that Jeff Tweedy with the deeper body, hog top, long scale, and v neck. They’re all the same money. The CEO has been offered in a Rosewood body a while ago. I didn’t play them back to back but recall the rosewood ceo nice as well but didn’t shock me like the hog model did for its volume to size ratio...but I like mahogany for my ears and playing style historically...And that bias is evident in many of my collection. Yes, I want one. $0.02
Old 12-09-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I just played a 00-18 yesterday at a shop. The CEO7 has way more bass and seems to project more. What I liked more about the 00-18 was the highs seemed to be better and it had a closer string spacing which is better when I use a pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm View Post
My impression on the sound difference was minimal, but the few CEO examples I’ve played feel like you can really hear a drier or vintage warmth in the sound and can bark if you hit it. Maybe the comfy V neck profile, wide string spacing, and sunburst plays tricks on my mind and ears. That particular 00-18, that day in the same room, had chimey highs and sounded good as well but was really new and tight where the CEO was a popular demo that had been there a while. The 00 model that is way cool and different is that Jeff Tweedy with the deeper body, hog top, long scale, and v neck.
Thanks guy, appreciate it. I tend to be a mahogany guy. Have a 000-15SM that was neck and neck with an 00-18V among the many Martins the shop I was at had that day. And the 12 fret all-hog guitar kept coming out ahead. So i don't need another full mahogany guitar - IF I eventually buy something in the 18 series it'll be for that combination of spruce and mahogany. I used to be a D-28 guy, but not really into rosewood anymore - my ears have changed. As always, if I start taking this idea seriously, I'll have to just go play them and see if one of them grabs me. I do like wider string spacing and I'd definitely want a shorter scale for this one.

I appreciate the input...

-Ray
Old 12-09-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

The CEO7 is definitely one of the better Martins when it comes to bang for your buck. Compared to a 00-18 you get a Adi top upgrade, a ModV neck upgrade, and a sunburst upgrade for about $100 more than a standard 00-18.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
The CEO7 is definitely one of the better Martins when it comes to bang for your buck. Compared to a 00-18 you get a Adi top upgrade, a ModV neck upgrade, and a sunburst upgrade for about $100 more than a standard 00-18.
I actually don't like sunburst on an acoustic, so that would be a compromise I'd have to live with - hey, one man gathers what another man spills, right. I don't know if I could tell the difference between Adi and Sitka or the scalloped bracing on the CEO, but maybe. But the V neck and the wider string spacing up toward the bridge would definitely be improvements for me. The 00-18V I've played had both and I really dug that guitar. Almost as much as the 000-15SM I ended up buying a few months ago.

But, as always I'm just gonna have to play 'em both and see for myself. When I go play several guitars, one or two almost always stand out and I know it almost immediately. So, when the time comes...

-Ray
Old 12-09-2019, 12:12 PM

I fell in love with a CEO-7 once, but sold it which was, in retrospect, a mistake. It was little more than a one night stand.

So, a year later I bought another one. We dated for a couple of years trying to find harmony in our arranged relationship.

She was fond of being held warmly but gently on the sofa and enjoyed being sung to. She liked to go out once in a while. Unfortunately, I realized for a second time that I fell for her looks-her subtle curves, her quiet demeanor, her retro style-and not because of her personality. It was a one sided affair as she never really spoke to me.

She’s with a new guy now. Hope she’s happy....
Old 12-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I really love the sound of the CEO-7, and have played one more than a few times to see if my distaste for the V-neck has somehow changed, since so many here claim to love it...but it hasn't. My hand just can't get comfortable with it.

It has crossed my mind to buy one, and have a good luthier carve down the neck to resemble a low oval...but that would destroy the resale value and probably be costly.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I really love the sound of the CEO-7, and have played one more than a few times to see if my distaste for the V-neck has somehow changed, since so many here claim to love it...but it hasn't. My hand just can't get comfortable with it.

It has crossed my mind to buy one, and have a good luthier carve down the neck to resemble a low oval...but that would destroy the resale value and probably be costly.
There's a custom CEO7 at Music Folk in St. Louis right now that has an MLO neck.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks guy, appreciate it. I tend to be a mahogany guy. Have a 000-15SM that was neck and neck with an 00-18V among the many Martins the shop I was at had that day. And the 12 fret all-hog guitar kept coming out ahead. So i don't need another full mahogany guitar - IF I eventually buy something in the 18 series it'll be for that combination of spruce and mahogany. I used to be a D-28 guy, but not really into rosewood anymore - my ears have changed. As always, if I start taking this idea seriously, I'll have to just go play them and see if one of them grabs me. I do like wider string spacing and I'd definitely want a shorter scale for this one.

I appreciate the input...

-Ray
I just bought a 00015sm and am blown away by it. I can't put it down. Its the funnest, easiest and cool sound guitar I might have ever owned, and I've owned a ton.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:07 PM

I once tried one at local store. Nice sounding. Was advertized as a bleuezy beast, but I found I would rather play pop on it. Did not have the chance to compare with my OOO-18 though. Sounded much clearer than the OO/OOO-15 though. Bottom line, was too expensive for me.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I actually don't like sunburst on an acoustic, so that would be a compromise I'd have to live with - hey, one man gathers what another man spills, right. I don't know if I could tell the difference between Adi and Sitka or the scalloped bracing on the CEO, but maybe. But the V neck and the wider string spacing up toward the bridge would definitely be improvements for me. The 00-18V I've played had both and I really dug that guitar. Almost as much as the 000-15SM I ended up buying a few months ago.

But, as always I'm just gonna have to play 'em both and see for myself. When I go play several guitars, one or two almost always stand out and I know it almost immediately. So, when the time comes...

-Ray
I too have been looking for another small body since I can't play dreads any longer, to compliment my 00015sm. I love the wider spacing at the saddle. The om28 modern deluxe has the same spacing and neck. Also there's a 0017 authentic that looks amazing. and of course the 00028vs if I could find one would be a perfect compliment.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeD View Post
I just bought a 00015sm and am blown away by it. I can't put it down. Its the funnest, easiest and cool sound guitar I might have ever owned, and I've owned a ton.
I know, I am too. I had an 000-15M for a couple years and really liked it a lot, but nothing about that guitar prepared me for the 12-fret version of it. I have that and an Emerald X7 and it's very possible I'll just stick with those two guitars for a long long time. But if there's one other acoustic I'm curious about, it's probably an 00 or 000 with a spruce/mahogany combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeD View Post
I too have been looking for another small body since I can't play dreads any longer, to compliment my 00015sm. I love the wider spacing at the saddle. The om28 modern deluxe has the same spacing and neck. Also there's a 0017 authentic that looks amazing. and of course the 00028vs if I could find one would be a perfect compliment.
I like the spacing as well, but IF I add something else at some point, I think I'd want to go with a 24.9 scale, rather than another 25.4 (My Emerald is a tiny 24"). And my tastes seem to have moved away from rosewood, so I probably wouldn't be looking at either an OM or a 28. So it would probably be some sort of 00 or 000 18 or similar. The CEO 7 is definitely something I'd like to play at some point...

-Ray
Old 12-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I know, I am too. I had an 000-15M for a couple years and really liked it a lot, but nothing about that guitar prepared me for the 12-fret version of it. I have that and an Emerald X7 and it's very possible I'll just stick with those two guitars for a long long time. But if there's one other acoustic I'm curious about, it's probably an 00 or 000 with a spruce/mahogany combination.

I like the spacing as well, but IF I add something else at some point, I think I'd want to go with a 24.9 scale, rather than another 25.4 (My Emerald is a tiny 24"). And my tastes seem to have moved away from rosewood, so I probably wouldn't be looking at either an OM or a 28. So it would probably be some sort of 00 or 000 18 or similar. The CEO 7 is definitely something I'd like to play at some point...

-Ray
Yeah I hear you. Ceo’s are great. Get a 00018ge. There’s one in the classifieds. Short scale. Wide spacing. Maybe more versatile than the ceo.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
yeah another guy I know had this guitar and had a problem with it. Not sure what it was .
Sounds like the stuff of internet innuendo...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi ; any opinions on this guitar? Does anyone own one? Just wondering about it. Thanks.
Wonder no more. It is one of the finest that Martin builds. Tone, looks, it has it all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion