The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-19-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
It has a nice "super Martin" type voice.
Hey Jim,

Not sure what you mean by “’super Martin’ type voice,” but Larry’s guitars have always struck me as having more of a Collings-type voice.

That is, the sound is more balanced and direct with greater clarity and articulation (but still a “vintage” sound as opposed to a “modern” one).

Possibly this is what you mean – not sure.

In fact, I think that playing my Tahoe for the past 1-2 years has actually affected my taste in this area.

I used to enjoy playing and listening to an HD28V, for example (even though I never liked Sitka that much), but I played one recently, and it sounded way too “boomy” and unbalanced to me.

I much preferred the sound of the straight-braced (and non-FS) D28.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEGuy View Post
Hey Jim,

Not sure what you mean by “’super Martin’ type voice,” but Larry’s guitars have always struck me as having more of a Collings-type voice.

That is, the sound is more balanced and direct with greater clarity and articulation (but still a “vintage” sound as opposed to a “modern” one).

Possibly this is what you mean – not sure.

In fact, I think that playing my Tahoe for the past 1-2 years has actually affected my taste in this area.

I used to enjoy playing and listening to an HD28V, for example (even though I never liked Sitka that much), but I played one recently, and it sounded way too “boomy” and unbalanced to me.

I much preferred the sound of the straight-braced (and non-FS) D28.
By "super Martin" I mean Martin-based designs which are "hot rodded" per their respective luthiers. I put Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, H&D, Froggy Bottom in the "super Martin" category (I know they also have Gibson-based and other designs). To my ear Tahoe guitars have some of the aggressive punchiness of Collings combined with the more lush tonal character of Santa Cruz.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
By "super Martin" I mean Martin-based designs which are "hot rodded" per their respective luthiers.
Ah, . . .
Old 01-18-2016, 07:49 PM

Default This guitar rocks!

I felt the need to resurrect this thread because I just purchased this guitar from OddManOut. I like smaller guitars, and I like rosewood, and the price was really good, so I thought I would take a chance on a handmade guitar from a builder that I knew little about.

I watched this build thread when the guitar was being made and I have to say that this may be the most documented build on the custom forum. I like it when luthiers really open themselves up in that way.

The guitar was everything I hoped it would be. The workmanship is top notch. Right up there with the boutique shops. I couldn't find any flaws or mistakes/coverups. The finish is really nice. Beautiful in every way.

The tone is what matters. I took a chance. And I was rewarded with a fabulous sounding and playing guitar. The feel is very smooth and soft. The guitar feels like a short scale, but it is a full scale. Excellent balance and sustain. It definately has the "rosewood" sound. It is very lush sounding, with really good sustain. I'm no expert in describing guitar sounds and characteristics, so I'm not going to pretend to describe other aspects of the tone. But I do know when a guitar sounds good vs. just mediocre. This guitar has it. It sounds great. I think it may replace a couple of much more expensive guitars and the play list.

Great job Mr. Nair. If this guitar is any indication, you know how to make an excellent guitar.

I just feel lucky the OddManOut appears to more of a Mahogany guy and was willing to let this one go.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradfie View Post
I felt the need to resurrect this thread because I just purchased this guitar from OddManOut. I like smaller guitars, and I like rosewood, and the price was really good, so I thought I would take a chance on a handmade guitar from a builder that I knew little about.

I watched this build thread when the guitar was being made and I have to say that this may be the most documented build on the custom forum. I like it when luthiers really open themselves up in that way.

The guitar was everything I hoped it would be. The workmanship is top notch. Right up there with the boutique shops. I couldn't find any flaws or mistakes/coverups. The finish is really nice. Beautiful in every way.

The tone is what matters. I took a chance. And I was rewarded with a fabulous sounding and playing guitar. The feel is very smooth and soft. The guitar feels like a short scale, but it is a full scale. Excellent balance and sustain. It definately has the "rosewood" sound. It is very lush sounding, with really good sustain. I'm no expert in describing guitar sounds and characteristics, so I'm not going to pretend to describe other aspects of the tone. But I do know when a guitar sounds good vs. just mediocre. This guitar has it. It sounds great. I think it may replace a couple of much more expensive guitars and the play list.

Great job Mr. Nair. If this guitar is any indication, you know how to make an excellent guitar.

I just feel lucky the OddManOut appears to more of a Mahogany guy and was willing to let this one go.
Very glad you're happy with the guitar. It is a nice guitar, and I agree with your assessment of the build quality and the tone. Glad it has found a good home. Larry makes some fine instruments at quite remarkable prices.

I am not a rosewood guy, 'tis true. I love the look of RW, but my ears like mahogany and maple. It is unlikely I'll have another rosewood guitar built as I seem to have trouble bonding with them. The one RW guitar I still have-which I enjoy very much-is Palo Escrito, by my assessment the least rosewood-like of rosewoods.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 PM

I want to extend my thanks to Jim (Oddmanout) for his patronage of Tahoe Guitar, and the many compliments he has paid me on this forum. And I'd like to thank dbradfile (Brad?) for having the courtesy to mention me in a good light on the forum and taking a chance on a relatively unknown maker. It feels really great to have somebody just love the guitar you made. It's what keeps me going.

Larry Nair - Luthier /CEO/Glue Scraper
Tahoe Guitar Co.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop