The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Taylor and Martin pricing

This is a 2 part question.

I have a Martin custom shop 000 (Guatemalan Rosewood and Adirondack). This was ordered by the local Martin rep, not me. The price on the build sheet is $6k and change. Guitar is about 2 years old, condition is mint. How much should I expect on a trade? How much should I ask if I consign or sell on my own?

The second part is that I am thinking about acquiring a Taylor 14 series. The Taylors now only have one price. How much of a discount should I expect off that ticketed price?
Old 12-09-2019, 09:01 AM

On the Taylor, my two local shops will discount up to 20% off list. That's what I got on my 814ce Dlx.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM

On a trade you'll typically get offered 25% of new, unless the store is generous. You might get more on that guitar because of the high dollar value. Ideally they want to mark up to 50% of new. You might be offered more if they think they can turn it fast. But they want to maintain a margin so as not to compete with new guitar sales in that area. That guitar *should* bring $3600,

For used? I won't buy a used instrument for more than 60% of new retail. And at that price point, it has to be immaculate. Consignment is better than trade, but a lot of stores want 20% of the sale, so that will reduce your take further.

That guitar *should* bring $3600, but there are so many factors involved. In that price range it competes with other "known entities" both new and used. I hope you can sell it quickly and get your money out of it.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-09-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

The price on the build sheet is MSRP. Value of this Martin guitar new was 60% of that, so $3600 at $6,000 MSRP. Someone may have paid more than that new but they didn't have to.

Go from there, maybe list at $2800 and hope to get $2500 in a private sale. Some folks like the convenience of trade in or consignment but there's a heavy price tag for that. With trade ins you have to pay special attention to the price on the new guitar. Negotiate the price of the new guitar before mentioning a trade in, that way you know exactly how much you're getting for the trade. While a $2500 trade in value may seem like a good deal on a guitar that is listed for $5K, if that guitar is available for $4K cash the trade doesn't look so hot.

Without knowing more about the guitar that's a best guess. I don't know what $6K "and change" means on the MSRP.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-09-2019, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I am speculating about trading the Martin on a 7 series Taylor with a sinker redwood top. The Taylor hanging price is $3499. The only way that this will work on the home front is if it is an even trade or pretty darn close. The transaction is obviously dependent on how much they will give me for the Martin and how much discount on the Taylor.

My wife doesn't pay much attention to the actual guitars other than knowing how many there are. Looks like it might be close depending on what kind of mood the dealer is in. I am a good customer. I am not a big fan of consigning or selling on my own although I have done both.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Default Have you A/B ed the guitars

If you haven't done that yet you should, for two reasons.
First reason is obvious,,,to make sure the new guitar is better than the one you are trading . I have done that many times, and walked out with my guitar 90% of the time.
The other reason would be to audition your guitar for the dealer. That has worked for me. One time another person in the store bought my guitar, and I walked out with the new guitar, with a much better deal than I thought I was going to get.
Some stores encourage you to A/B. And some seem to get passed off about it.

Good luck

Bill
Old 12-09-2019, 11:50 AM

This store sold me the Martin and I am a good enough customer that they will let me take the Taylor home to demo for a few days before buying (I have not done that yet, not sure how serious I am). They have a guitar room and I have learned from experience that a guitar sounds totally different in that room that it does when you get it home.

The main reason that I have not brought it home is because then my wife will know that I am considering a new guitar and I will have to bear the spousal harassment for even thinking about it (I made a MAJOR guitar purchase in the spring and somehow got away with it so I am skating on thin guitar ice for a while.). That is also the reason why I can probably only get away with an even exchange type transaction.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
...The main reason that I have not brought it home is because then my wife will know that I am considering a new guitar and I will have to bear the spousal harassment for even thinking about it (I made a MAJOR guitar purchase in the spring and somehow got away with it so I am skating on thin guitar ice for a while.). That is also the reason why I can probably only get away with an even exchange type transaction.
With two divorces behind me, I'm not the best one to give relationship advice; but is trading in an old guitar for a new one really the issue here???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-09-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Given this scenario, I would expect GC's offer for trade value on your Martin toward that Taylor will absolutely not start with a "3" and my guess is it won't start with a "2" either.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-09-2019, 02:52 PM

It’s not Guitar Center. I deal with local stores.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:05 PM

Private sale $2600, Trade in $2000. It's always better to sell it yourself. It's also better to by used when you can.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:21 PM

I am quite amazed to read a 6k$ custom Martin would have to go under 3k$.
I would sell by myself on eB or rverb.

Maybe I paid too much, but 60% of MRSP for a mint used acoustic is generally quite my range. I got some clearly under 50% though.

I sometimes put two or three on sale at the same time aiming to sell one while aiming at another target...
Old 12-09-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mc View Post
The main reason that I have not brought it home is because then my wife will know that I am considering a new guitar and I will have to bear the spousal harassment for even thinking about it (I made a MAJOR guitar purchase in the spring and somehow got away with it so I am skating on thin guitar ice for a while.). That is also the reason why I can probably only get away with an even exchange type transaction.
I guess I'm in the wrong forum to ask but, having made a "MAJOR guitar purchase in the spring and somehow got away with it" (whatever that means?), what's so compelling about the Taylor (or so wrong with a $6k custom Martin) that makes it necessary to consider another new guitar? Especially, because you are considering being deceitful to your wife about it. Surely it is easier to just be happy with what you have?
Old 12-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I just bought a D 35 custom from Bryan Kimsey. I went and built one on the Martin website and the tag came to $5600. Don't know what a previous owner paid new, but I paid $2100 shipped for a guitar that has that gigged look, about what I'd expect my new guitar would look like after 12 years.

When you start from list, it's a long way down. Figuring Martin builds what a majority want to buy, ie their stock models, customs can be a dicey sale. How many people want a contrasting wedge piece (koa), wood binding, and rosewood for fingerboard and bridge? All these things pad the cost, but how many would pay the premium? Anyway, I'm thrilled because the guitar is so unlike any D 35 I've ever played, which is why I like it but YMMV.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-09-2019, 04:58 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if your dealer traded with you close to straight up or maybe take your guitar and $100 for the Taylor.

I'd assume the dealer paid $1750-$1800 for the Taylor. So if he traded the Taylor for your Martin he's getting your Custom Shop Martin with an Adirondack top and Guatemalan B&S for $1750-$1800. He'd probably list the Martin right around what the Taylor lists for, maybe a bit higher.

The question for him is which guitar he could turn over faster in his market.

It sounds like a local dealer I've dealt with. They don't treat trade-ins like Guitar Center. Not even close.

Be sure you want to make the trade because I wouldn't be surprised if he takes you up on it. There's no way I'd trade a Custom Shop OOO for a 714, but there's nothing wrong with people having different tastes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion