The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD Setup Issue

Question for you guys. I just received a NGD from an out of state dealer. It's an expensive boutique builder that i'd rather not mention at this point since i'm considering returning it. The guitar sounds incredible but the setup was a little off. For starters, the dreadnaught came with 12's on it which was a little surprising. I strum fairly hard so i told them to set up a little higher so I didn't get any buzzing. To be fair I assumed it had 13's on it like every other dread i've purchased so I didn't mention it. They action is really low and i'm getting little buzzing when I really get into it. If I put 13's on it i'm guessing it would be really bad. I hate to take a brand new expensive boutique guitar into a local luthier to have a new set up done. What you guys do, return the guitar or get a new setup done?
Old 12-08-2019, 11:02 PM

Do you return a new car you like because the tires need a little more air?

You can try heavier strings IF you want to play heavier strings. Otherwise have it setup for the strings you like to play the way you want. Likely, all it needs is to shim the saddle a little to get it to where you want. Cost of that is negligible on an "expensive boutique" guitar.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:08 PM

It sounds counterintuitive...put the 13’s on.
The extra tension will provide more relief.
Probably cure your buzzing issue.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 PM

I was told by a very good guitar tech that thicker strings actually buzz less, all things being equal. I guess it's because they don't flop around as much as thinner strings.

So maybe changing the twelves for the preferred thirteens will fix it? Maybe they put twelves on by mistake?
Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 PM

To me I would probably have told the retailer that you are used to 13s and that's what you want on the guitar. I think in many respects that light gauges/12s have actually become more or less the standard gauge for many guitar brands.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-09-2019, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

Try a set of 13-56s on it. If it still buzzes, or otherwise doesn’t play well, take it to a good set-up guy and have him set it up properly. Any guitar can be set up to play well.

Sending a guitar back to the builder in a different state because the action’s off sounds like the sledgehammer/walnut syndrome.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:26 AM

Where I live it’s cold and this time of year is tough to ship a guitar without having issues. Maybe it needs to settle into its new environment a day or so. I’d contact the seller and tell them, I bet they recommend you wait a day or so for you try your preferred string gauge, then maybe adjust the truss rod a touch and see where you are with your happiness factor. Neither party probably wants the risk of return shipping, but maybe they compensate your cost of a setup from your local guy. If it’s an expensive boutique guitar, I’m sure they would like you to be happy assuming they’re reputable. They deserve to make a buck or two on ya, but you also deserve to have a playable guitar if your out-laying for boutique builder exclusivity. $0.02

Last edited by Glennm; 12-09-2019 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:09 AM

Just change the strings. The first thing I do when I get a new guitar is to take off whatever (quite often junk) strings are on it and put on my preferred ones.

13's will almost certainly buzz less - thicker strings buzz less - think about if you down tune the guitar to C# or D standard you'll have buzzes everywhere unless you go up a string gauge or two. Higher tension = less buzzing. I had my GS mini tuned to C# for a while and I had to put 14s on it to get rid of some buzz.

If you're still not happy with 13s then send it back. It's hardly going to void your warranty to changing the strings.

This sounds more like you're having buyers remorse and are looking for a reason to send it back. I can't imagine sending a guitar back because I don't like the string gauge it shipped with. Seems about the same as trying to return it a month later because they wore out.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-09-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I was told by a very good guitar tech that thicker strings actually buzz less, all things being equal. I guess it's because they don't flop around as much as thinner strings.

So maybe changing the twelves for the preferred thirteens will fix it? Maybe they put twelves on by mistake?
That depends. If your action is very low then yes, the string excursion may be more extreme and you may have buzzing frets-again depending on your playing technique. I use 12s on all acoustics, including dreads.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

The setup being "a little off" does not seem to me to be a reason to return the guitar, particularly if it sounds incredible.

Setups are somewhat individual things, we have different preferences. Getting a setup is often times part of the new guitar process, no matter how good the builder, they can't possibly set the guitar up in a way that will make everybody happy right out of the box.

Not everybody who plays a dread strums hard. Lots of people fingerpick dreads, and typically have their action set lower. If this is a used guitar, perhaps it's the case that the previous owner was a fiingerpicker.

Even though it seems that everybody around here that plays dreads uses 13s, in the grand scheme of things, there are likely more dreads out there strung with 12s.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

Last edited by warfrat73; 12-09-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Even though it seems that everybody around here that plays dreads uses 13s, in the grand scheme of things, there are likely more dreads out there strung with 12s.
I use 12 on my 24.75" scale length dread. If I had a 25.5" dread I'd probably play it at a lower tuning and with 12s.

Last edited by RalphH; 12-09-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:24 AM

I take every new guitar to a luthier for a setup. I wouldn't go to the local music store unless I knew the quality of their repair guy. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but there are also kids with very little experience doing the work in some places.

I'm lucky enough to live 30 minutes from a fine lutheir, but for an expensive guitar I'd travel a bit to have someone I trust ply their trade.

Mine has me play a while for him so he can see how much force I use, and listens to my desires for the setup. Well worth the cost.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-09-2019, 07:35 AM

Talk to the firm that sold it to you, explain your problems and ask them if they will extend the trial period until you can get some 13s on.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I take every new guitar to a luthier for a setup. I wouldn't go to the local music store unless I knew the quality of their repair guy. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but there are also kids with very little experience doing the work in some places.

I'm lucky enough to live 30 minutes from a fine lutheir, but for an expensive guitar I'd travel a bit to have someone I trust ply their trade.

Mine has me play a while for him so he can see how much force I use, and listens to my desires for the setup. Well worth the cost.
This was my procedure when acquiring a new acoustic guitar. It’s part of the deal IMO.

At some point you’ll need to know a good luthier (not guitar store repair guy, in most cases) so why not find him now and let him take a look?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I'll throw some 13's on it tonight. The action is very low so i'm guessing it will buzz badly but we'll see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion