The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Default incredible no-brainer Mix/record software deal

I've known about "Harrison Mixbuss" for about a year and once in awhile I've seen no-brainer deals for $39.00 usually $219.00. I got curious and Googled it
yesterday and it brought up a thread at Gearslutz and sure enough another no-brainer good until May 15'th now at $19.95. Not a fully featured Daw like Cubase, Reaper, Logic etc. and sure it has some kinks, but it is fantastic for mix/mastering. You can record in it and it takes VST's(not VSTi's) but the sound. It is awesome. What many do is record and arrange in their DAW of choice, export :"stems'(audio files), then import these stems into Mixbuss. It is modeled after the famous Harrison consoles(many hit records used them) and I am hearing spot on. In many cases people haven't had to use their more expensive plugs like Compression, eq, and Tape saturation. I went to the url provided at GS, bought it in the morning, got the DL and license key in the afternoon. The install went smoothly. In fact the license was already activated with the install as the key was in the same download folder. No c/r, dongle or serial # to fuss with. So far really no isues with my 3'rd party 32 bit plugs. Harrison Mixbuss is 32 bit app for now. No Problem on my 64 bit Win 7 machine. Linux, Mac. and Windows OS.
My Pal here in town with a Project studio here in town bought it as well and no problems so far using his Uad plugs. Just wanted to give a heads up. Truly worth it, will save a lot of cash not having to buy plug-ins you may think you need to make you tracks and songs sound better. Once you get over what might seem dauting at first(the GUI), it really looks like an expensive mixer it is actually easier to get around
here is the url
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...5-19-95-a.html
also there is a series of YT vids,
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rrison+mixbuss
the first one one w/o talking "shut up and mix", there is text on screen though. Is a great way to start and see what the buzz is all about. And for you Reaper users check out down the page "Reaper vs Mixbuss. That was done a year ago and now the version of mixbuss is up to 2.5

I will repeat you can record multiple tracks in mixbuss and it just might be enough of a DAW for many and for those that don't use Virtual instruments(VSTi's or AU).
I am not affiliated whatsoever with Harrison I am just like you guys/gals trying to record as best as I can
Old 05-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Thanks for this. Very impressive (I'm pasting in the "Shut Up and Mix" video link below). And I agree that it is a no-brainer deal.

One caveat to note is that VST plugins are not yet supported on Macs...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this info. I just ordered my copy and expect an email with the download link and license any time now. I have wanted just a mix package, so I record on one of my stand-alone devices and do the mix on my Ultrabook. For $19.95, this looks like just the ticket.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Thanks for this. Very impressive (I'm pasting in the "Shut Up and Mix" video link below). And I agree that it is a no-brainer deal.

One caveat to note is that VST plugins are not yet supported on Macs...

Phil
Right on, I am getting a pretty good handle on how to use it and that was just in one day. I went over to my Pal's Project Studio yesterday and we listened to a mix with about 8-10 tracks. He has a UAD 2 PCIe card and only used one or two of those plugins instances , the rest was Mixbuss. He had a big old grin on his face and I thought his mix was excellent.
I thought most Mac( OSX) users utilize AU over VST though. Is this true?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Range editing, cool and looks very intuitive

instead of Google or searching YT vids this is handy as they are all there for one to choose from. Perhaps 3'rd party vids exist that all well done as well
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus-info.html

Last edited by whitecloud; 05-04-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 AM

I guess if you do not have DAW experience, it's a good cheap starting spot. Most full-featured DAWs have the same features and abilities, so it really is the User Interface that makes the difference.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I guess if you do not have DAW experience, it's a good cheap starting spot. Most full-featured DAWs have the same features and abilities, so it really is the User Interface that makes the difference.
No dude, you are missing the point. It just plain sounds better. I personally know Studio owners that have had their eye on this. People Using Logic Pro, Cubase, Pro tools and Reaper were willing to shell out the 200+ bucks for it. Now we got a real no-brainer @ 20 bucks(WHICH I MIGHT ADD EXPIRES MAY 15'th)
Harrison Consoles are well known and many feel it hard to tell the difference between the actual hardware and Harrison's OWN effort to emulate them.The ability to increase 3db's without clipping is awesome, plus the fact it sounds less digital than most DAWs out there. I have already heard a mix in Reaper, then stemmed over to Mixbuss. Quite an improvement that I noticed.
Sure you can track with Mixbuss however at this stage of development I would recommend mixes that don't need extensive arranging or Virutal instruments. Makes a great summing mixer that has the ability to track as well. My bet is it will allow one to use less 3rd party VST's and AU's which will make it more light on it's feet. Helps UAD owners as well
Old 05-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
I thought most Mac( OSX) users utilize AU over VST though. Is this true?
I'm using Cubase 6 as my main DAW so, needless to say, most every plugin I've got is VST. I'm not intending to use Mixbus as a DAW, just as a mixing engine.

There are only one or two plugins that I might want to use but they're easy enough to get in AU format. I'm going to try JUST Mixbus for awhile before going for the duplicates...from what I've seen/read, it looks like I won't need them!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:40 AM

[QUOTE=whitecloud;3940453]No dude, you are missing the point. It just plain sounds better.

Why does it sound better. The only reason would be code if it's just software.
Have you actually compared it to Pro Tools 10 or 11 Native?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-05-2014, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=Ty Ford;3941417]
Quote:
No dude, you are missing the point. It just plain sounds better.

Why does it sound better. The only reason would be code if it's just software.
Have you actually compared it to Pro Tools 10 or 11 Native?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Well like any software some Developers do better work than others. Whether that be dynamic and time based plug-ins, tape and saturation. the debate on which DAW sounds better is rather heated but in the case of MixBuss I'll offer this. The people that coded it are from Harrison and know their consoles well. Yes better coding was involved and the result is evident. What if Rupert Neve had a team or could code himself. Would that peek your interest. Perhaps you are not familiar with Harrison hardware.

ProTools is another is another matter as it doesn't try to replicate any particular analog console. That is why so many use 3rd party plugs to make things more pleasing and warm like tape and analog gear. No I haven't compared Pro Tools to mix buss. Only Reaper and Cubase and to acheive what Harrsion can do only stock would require some good plugs for either Reaper or Cubase. I hope this all makes sense now.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered a copy. For $20 it's worth a shot!

Todd
Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=whitecloud;3941653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Well like any software some Developers do better work than others. Whether that be dynamic and time based plug-ins, tape and saturation. the debate on which DAW sounds better is rather heated but in the case of MixBuss I'll offer this. The people that coded it are from Harrison and know their consoles well. Yes better coding was involved and the result is evident. What if Rupert Neve had a team or could code himself. Would that peek your interest. Perhaps you are not familiar with Harrison hardware.

ProTools is another is another matter as it doesn't try to replicate any particular analog console. That is why so many use 3rd party plugs to make things more pleasing and warm like tape and analog gear. No I haven't compared Pro Tools to mix buss. Only Reaper and Cubase and to acheive what Harrsion can do only stock would require some good plugs for either Reaper or Cubase. I hope this all makes sense now.
I've been writing technical articles for trade magazines for over 20 years and was heavily involved with broadcast audio production for 17 years before that. I know Harrison.

ProTools replicates the standard analog audio console better than any other DAW software I've seen…and I've seen a lot. I've worked on SSL, Neves, and Tridents all the way down to Mackies.

The effects processing that comes with Pro Tools is impressive, but now you've jumped from GUI and architecture to subjective sound choices. I've made mine already by using outboard preamps -- GML and Millennia media and outboard A/D. That and a good mic locker makes "warming" of the sound unnecessary. Trying to use software solutions to correct hardware problems is a losing battle. The fix seldom cures the disease. It just makes it different.

Tape, pleasing? About the only thing analog tape is good for is distorting transients (rounding off by tape saturation) and that's already been done effectively with high-end AD converters.

Cheap mics and preamps (and mix busses) the likes of which are probably used too much by people who read this forum, make mixing difficult, take longer and the result is seldom as satisfying and mixing tracks with the right mics and preamps in a good space. I doubt software will bend the laws of physics enough to provide a proper solution.

I'm all for the advancement of technology. I wish you and Harrison the best with bringing your product to the market. There is a line. Let's se how you do.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I don't think Rupert is very concerned with Harrison consoles.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered a copy. For $20 it's worth a shot!

Todd
Can't argue with that.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM

If the mix is somehow 'better/different' through the software, then it is doing something to change the sound, digitally. EQ, compression, saturation .... I'd like to see a straight A/B comparison done - take tracks recorded elsewhere, insert into the Harrison DAW and into another DAW, mix them to the same dB/ratio and output.

"3dB without clipping" - I hope we're not talking the old 'loudness wars' again. To the human ear louder sounds better, we all get that.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

Last edited by MikeBmusic; 05-05-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=Ty Ford;3941719]
Quote:

I've been writing technical articles for trade magazines for over 20 years and was heavily involved with broadcast audio production for 17 years before that. I know Harrison.

ProTools replicates the standard analog audio console better than any other DAW software I've seen…and I've seen a lot. I've worked on SSL, Neves, and Tridents all the way down to Mackies.

The effects processing that comes with Pro Tools is impressive, but now you've jumped from GUI and architecture to subjective sound choices. I've made mine already by using outboard preamps -- GML and Millennia media and outboard A/D. That and a good mic locker makes "warming" of the sound unnecessary. Trying to use software solutions to correct hardware problems is a losing battle. The fix seldom cures the disease. It just makes it different.

Tape, pleasing? About the only thing analog tape is good for is distorting transients (rounding off by tape saturation) and that's already been done effectively with high-end AD converters.

Cheap mics and preamps (and mix busses) the likes of which are probably used too much by people who read this forum, make mixing difficult, take longer and the result is seldom as satisfying and mixing tracks with the right mics and preamps in a good space. I doubt software will bend the laws of physics enough to provide a proper solution.

I'm all for the advancement of technology. I wish you and Harrison the best with bringing your product to the market. There is a line. Let's se how you do.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I don't think Rupert is very concerned with Harrison consoles.
Can you really compare the 2 price wise? Come on mountains of difference there. on windows you need a compatible video card that in many cases is very expensive. believe me I looked into it. Another caveat, iLok. Pro Tools is what it is. You can take your sessions to just about any Professional Studio and you are Golden.
However many of us here have Home Project studios and do the best we can with our hard earned cash. Bang for buck and hopefully not regretting purchasing decisions. Yeah I doubt serious Professional Studio would ever consider Harrison MixBuss
What's with "I don't think Rupert is very concerned with Harrison consoles"?
I never implied that. Please read my post again, I thought I was clear.
Perhaps there should be a "High end" and Low end theory" like at Gearslutz.
Some of us can't afford thousands of dollars for mics and pre's, high end converters etc. I think there is nothing wrong with my lowend hardware. Example SM7b+Gap Pre-73= $650.00. That is just part of my hardware equation.
I think you overlooked an even more important component. Song and performance trumps gear in almost ever case. I am on the fence regarding Tape sims etc. I don't have any of those plugs but do use Sonimus Satson on all channels and the buss. It helps with gain staging and has lovely filters. It is subtle but collective. It does have a fat switch. I may not use Satson with Mixbuss however. You don't have to use the Analog Tape saturation in Mixbuss but this Daw just sounds good scientific or not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD