The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-23-2023, 03:24 PM

Default Guitar frequency

worked on this last project for some time . I used an Englemann board for this , I went thru the measurements and determined the thickness.( stiffness 8900 and density at 330 kg/m3 ) i ran the numbers over and over and decided on 180000 as the index . Coincidentally it was almost the same as an example from Gore’s book . What this work didn’t do was offer up the correct frequencies I was looking for . It was much higher . I built the entire guitar but did not glue the back on . I removed both stiffness and mass each time I used the analyzer as the frequencies were measured. Finally the frequencies were at 90 Hz 187 Hz and 241 Hz . I was a happy camper for awhile anyway . After I glued the back on the frequencies jumped up again and now it was sanding time again. I made some sandpaper thimbles and stuck my hand thru the sound hole and sanded away . Checked and rechecked after each session. Because I started out with a fairly thick board (2.7 mm ) I knew I had plenty of room to work with from the outside. I didn’t graduate this board because the top weight ended at 140 grams . Well sanding the outside perimeter graduates anyway . At about 195 Hz top frequency I decided to add weight penny dime nickel at a time . That worked to 188 Hz but I decided against using the added weight because after the stringing the guitar the Hz would drop. Its been about a week and it varies 2-3 Hz , Which it did to a good sounding guitar . I’ll send the link here in a minute. Obviously there is lots going on here with guitar frequencies I’m just now beginning to understand it , at least this much of it . It took about 3 years , many boards testing, 2 spreadsheets, 3 frequency analyzers , countless reading time , several emails and help from some of the members here and outside of the forum . One very pissed off lady . But how else do you figure this out ? Finally, I just didn’t want to guess and I knew that even guessing has a frequency.
Zef

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg
Old 11-23-2023, 03:26 PM

Default Guitar frequency

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b4B...6wgHnV7tM-9tsw
Old 11-25-2023, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quite confusing post. A picture link requires a url of where it is on the internet.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-25-2023, 09:31 PM

Zef - Giuliano Nicoletti (Iulius Guitars) has just joined the AGF as a sponsor and I am sure that he can address your concerns. This is very much his bailiwick.

I assume that you images are spectrum analyses of your instrument. Instructions on inserting photos into your posts can be found here: click here

Of course becoming a charter member of AGF makes it much easier.

I lightly touched upon this rabbit hole during my first build and was nicely talked off the ledge by Alan Carruth. Remember, every guitar is the sum of its parts. And most importantly, your playing style and ability will affect what the sonic result is. My advice: you will only get a guitar to a certain point by using scientific measurements; after that the real difference is made through the experience gained over many builds. So good luck figuring out the puzzle.

A suggestion: your post needs to be cleaned up. You need to shorten your sentences, clarify them and separate them into thoughts and paragraphs. Plus, you need a bit of an introduction to the post. I think this will help you get a better response from the members of the forum.

Best,

Rick
AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical