The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-15-2023, 08:29 AM

I’ve got guitar
Cordoba GK STUDIO. solid spruce top laminated cypress back/side
I have hear playing Gk studio NEGRA with same solid spruce top but laminated rosewood bak/side and to my ears they not sound so differently.
Sure my ears are not so fine, but my luthier confirm my thought that in case of laminated woods the differences in sound are very minimal
What do think about with your experience?
Now my luthier make a setup e lowering action then I’ll post images and my impressions
At now I can say that is classified as flamenco guitar but it’s not only for flamenco
Old 11-15-2023, 10:23 AM

I have no experience with that line but I can confirm that the wood of the back and sides has only a small effect on the sound of a guitar and even less so with laminated woods. Really easy to understand: with a 3-layer (3-ply) laminate at least 1/3 of the plate is of a different wood, usually.

Flamenco guitars are cross-over guitars in a sense: you can see them as classical (or "Spanish") guitars made to play a specific for of popular/folk music.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 11-15-2023, 10:38 AM

I was surprised for many different sound of this guitar depending on
playing style
From pure flamenco, to good classical and also jazzy sound ,and this for me it was been a good surprise.
Also type of string has great influence on sound.
Now on it there are D’Addario EJ45 tension normal ,with clear nylon and bass silver plated multifilament nylon core.
Balanced string with clear soft treeble and warm responsiva bass
Probably with EJ45 c composite with the same treeble but with bass composite bass response should be better .
Old 11-15-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido_59 View Post
Probably with EJ45 c composite with the same treeble but with bass composite bass response should be better .
The d'Addario "composite" basses are made by Aquila, and they have a very interesting offering of classical guitar strings themselves that you might be interested to try. Two different kind of flamenco strings and at least 2 other sets (Rubino and Sugar) that are very appropriate for modern (classical) music. They only don't make brass or bronze-wound bass strings but apparently you are happy with the copper-wounds you are using so that probably isn't a big deal.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 11-15-2023, 12:00 PM

Maybe I have confused but I have read that both Ej45 and Ej45c have silver plated wound bass string
Difference is that Ej45c has bass with composite core instead nylon core
Treeble are the same
Old 11-15-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido_59 View Post
Maybe I have confused but I have read that both Ej45 and Ej45c have silver plated wound bass string
No you haven't, silver-plated copper is the common winding alloy for classical bass strings. In my opinion the silver plating has almost no effect on sound (it prevents the copper from oxydising) so I usually just call that "copper winding".

And I meant that that the core of the "composite" strings is made by Aquila, or from a material that Aquila makes. I don't know who applies the winding (but that is probably largely irrelevant for the sound ).

Old 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM

Understand what you mean
Now I restart to play with EJ45 standard normal tension ,in the future I think if change type of string and/or tension
I choose normal tension because Should be easy to play for a beginner or for restart to playing after many time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical