The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-26-2020, 11:35 AM

Default Rubato in popular music

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could think of some song examples from popular music that are not quite played to the click, but not just that, that are played in what is called (at least I believe) rubato, or ad libitum. I've read online that Romantic composers such as Chopin used it a lot. One of my recent songs seems to be without a click also (not sure though if it's exactly rubato) and I'm sending a snippet of the intro.
I would really like to listen to some songs in popular music, not classical, that have no tempo, ideally on an acoustic guitar or similar.
Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by neofolk; 02-26-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, it's very rare to have an entire piece be in a "rubato" mode... I usually hear it (and use it when I perform) as an introduction or a interlude within the piece. Lots of examples out there...

Check out The Band's song, "Daniel and the Sacred Harp" - begins with a cool little accordion piece, then moves into the groove of the song. Come to think of it, The Band used that device frequently in an introductory capacity, right from their first album; listen to Garth's Hammond organ introduction to "Chest Fever" - might be Bach piece?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-26-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
what is called (at least I believe) rubato, or ad libitum.
Rubato ("robbed time"): the temporary disregarding of strict tempo to allow an expressive quickening or slackening, usually without altering the overall pace.

Ad libitum: with free rhythm and expression.

Quote:
I would really like to listen to some songs in popular music, not classical, that have no tempo...
One of the elements that distinguishes musical sound from noise is that musical sounds have a regularly repeating (periodic) vibration.

One of the formal elements of music is that it has a pulse or beat (tempo/rhythm) that provides an aural framework. Musicians take "liberties" with that pulse, beat or rhythm - rubato or ad lib - in order to add expression and/or variety to the sounds. However, if a piece of music is completely devoid of anything that a listener can identify as a regular beat the sounds become chaotic or "random". At some level of chaos/randomness, it ceases to be heard as cohesive music and just becomes "sound". It's up to the performer and the listener to decide where that dividing line occurs.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:28 PM

Solo guitar "chord-melody" lends itself some pretty wide variations (more easily done when no one else is trying to follow along)

Pop-songs typically gain a few BPM going into the chorus.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
One of the formal elements of music is that it has a pulse or beat (tempo/rhythm) that provides an aural framework. Musicians take "liberties" with that pulse, beat or rhythm - rubato or ad lib - in order to add expression and/or variety to the sounds. However, if a piece of music is completely devoid of anything that a listener can identify as a regular beat the sounds become chaotic or "random". At some level of chaos/randomness, it ceases to be heard as cohesive music and just becomes "sound". It's up to the performer and the listener to decide where that dividing line occurs.
Would you then say that the excerpt I posted has a beat? I understand what you say but it seems that the key thing to "define" now is the beat. I mean, we all know what that is, I know what it is in a regular song, but would you say that there is a beat in my excerpt? (And I can play to the click but this piece really can't be played to the click, I tried it and it's not right.)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:33 PM
Guitar Gourmet

One of my favorite tricks used by some bands is starting the intro on an off-beat that gives you an alternate take on the feel of the groove and then they start the song on the downbeat and redefine the groove entirely. An example is the Doobie Brothers "Chinatown."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofolk View Post
would you say that there is a beat in my excerpt? (And I can play to the click but this piece really can't be played to the click, I tried it and it's not right.)
Yes, I'd say there is a beat. I think I'd prefer it if it was a more regular beat, but it's your piece and up to you to make it sound how you think it should.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 02-26-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:12 PM

A long long time ago...I can still remember how...

Rubato is great.. when it's intentional.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-26-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

There is rubato and tempo are separate things. Then there are accelerations and decelerations and fermatas. These things are more or
less commonly used. If you are writing your own music do whatever you feel fits the best.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write