The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-24-2020, 12:00 AM

Default Thinking about quitting lessons

So, I've been taking guitar lessons for a few months now and I'm thinking about quitting. My teacher is very good but very serious about technique and playing in time(which I guess he should be) but I feel like having a strict regiment of scales and a song that I'm supposed to have learned by the next week, sort of takes the fun out of playing for me.
Playing guitar for me, is a way to unwind after a hard day of factory work. Also, a hard day at the shop, leaves my body(and hands) sore. So I don't feel like I'm giving the stuff he gives me to practice, the time and attention it deserves because I either don't have the time(because of working overtime) or the energy.
Plus, I know I'm never going to be a professional musician, it's just a hobby for me.
What do you think, should I stick with it a little longer and see what happens?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
So, I've been taking guitar lessons for a few months now and I'm thinking about quitting. My teacher is very good but very serious about technique and playing in time(which I guess he should be) but I feel like having a strict regiment of scales and a song that I'm supposed to have learned by the next week, sort of takes the fun out of playing for me.
Playing guitar for me, is a way to unwind after a hard day of factory work. Also, a hard day at the shop, leaves my body(and hands) sore. So I don't feel like I'm giving the stuff he gives me to practice, the time and attention it deserves because I either don't have the time(because of working overtime) or the energy.
Plus, I know I'm never going to be a professional musician, it's just a hobby for me.
Go on YouTube and type in "Marty Music"
Thank me later.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Go on YouTube and type in "Marty Music"

Thank me later.
I've seen some of his videos, it's a great channel for learning guitar. My lessons were very focused on bluegrass flat picking, which isn't as easy to find good videos on YouTube for, unfortunately. Thanks though.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:12 AM

Only you can answer that question. It sounds like what he is teaching you will be of value as long as you play music. Of course, there is always the goal of the student, which some teachers seem to better address than others. In other words, maybe he is the wrong teacher fo you?

It sounds like you work hard. Don't feel bad about taking a break from lessons. You have other priorities. What if you took a few weeks off to think about it? It is a service you are paying for after all. Maybe talk to a few other teachers and be upfront about your goals and expectations?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
(1) It gets easier.

(2) It's good to have demands and requirements to meet.

On the other hand, hey. Do whatever you want.

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-24-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
It's better to get stressed now than to get stressed later trying to fix your old bad habits. If money and time is not the issue, I would highly suggest you to continue your lessons until you feel like you're confident. The frustration from a guitar guy with 15 years of experience who is having trouble with bad positioning and posture is nothing compared to the frustration from a new learner. From my point of view, unless you feel confident with your skills, or having trouble financially or physically, mentally or time-specific issues, it's good to have an instructor for a few years. As I said earlier, it will take you miles ahead than you trying to learn it by yourself. Why take the harder route if you could always take a shorter one? I kind of envy you right now since I never had proper lessons lol.

Keep up the good work sir!
Martin Backpacker('11)
Seagull Maritime SWS Concert Hall CW Semi-Gloss('11)
Cort Earth 100SE('11)
Yamaha A3R('12)
Martin D-28('12)
Furch Yellow Gc-CR('18)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

I think you should follow your heart, take a break from the lessons, and see what gels from them in your own time. It’ll come. Thank your teacher and take some more lessons if/when you’re ready. Best wishes.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:51 AM

Ya gotta have fun playing guitar. Lessons are only good if they help you have more fun. Obviously there’s work involved. But it should be fun.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakejfran View Post
If money and time is not the issue, I would highly suggest you to continue your lessons until you feel like you're confident.
That's another thing, I've been playing for a while now. He has definitely pointed me in the right direction on a few things. But as far as technically playing the music... I feel like it would be harder and it would take longer, but I could learn it on my own.
Also, I love playing bluegrass but I also love heavy metal and blues. I've been trying so hard to learn the stuff he's giving me, to the level that he expects me to play it, that I haven't picked up my electric guitars in months.
I appreciate everyone's input. This is a great forum, it's nice to hear some friendly constructive criticism and different opinions, to help with my decision.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Jerry Lee was taking lessons his teacher was real strict. He demanded that he play the piano his way. Jerry Lee didn't like his way so he played it Lewis style and got slapped. That was the end of the teacher pupil relationship. The music was in Jerry and boy did it come out.
Guitar playing should be fun. It sounds like you maybe ready to play it your way. 😉
Old 02-24-2020, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Just reduce the frequency; a lesson every two weeks instead of every week. You keep the discipline and structure of professional tuition, but gain time to indulge in some fun stuff too. If your teacher won't agree to it, find another one who will. I've been with my current teacher for a year, but I got through three others before I signed up with him.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:10 AM

IMO, utilize guitar lessons for techniques since theory is online and not difficult to learn.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyException View Post
Just reduce the frequency; a lesson every two weeks instead of every week. You keep the discipline and structure of professional tuition, but gain time to indulge in some fun stuff too. If your teacher won't agree to it, find another one who will. I've been with my current teacher for a year, but I got through three others before I signed up with him.
This is a good idea. If you had a personal trainer in the gym and they started you out too intensely you would ask them to ease up or you would quit.

If you think of this as a long term learning curve then slow and steady will win the race. Learn proper technique and timing but at a pace you are comfortable with. This will leave time for fun stuff. Win win.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:15 AM

Quote:
What you just described is EXACTLY why I am doing this completely on my own terms. It is completely for me at the pace that I decide. It is for nobody else. As you said, this keeps it relaxing and nice. Not telling ya what to do. I am not trying to be a professional either, and I want it to be enjoyable and fun. If I ever did do lessons I would make it clear to the teacher what I was looking for...you are paying so you should be able to do that...

Good luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've been teaching guitar for over 40 years and if there is one thing I know for sure it is that a good teacher needs to constantly assess the student's needs, desires and potential. These things can and usually do change as time passes. The vast majority of the many hundreds of students I've had are just like you: they want to see progress, they want to learn what's important in terms of technique and theory but most of all, they are doing it for their own enjoyment with no aspirations of glory. I always factor that into my lesson planning, which I do on a weekly basis for each and every student. A teacher who's bound to one course of study or a strict regimen and a "one size fits all" way of teaching is doing his or her students a disservice in the long run. Sooner or later, as the student makes progress he will figure out what he really wants to play in terms of music styles and techniques, and often that is quite different than his ideas when he started. A teacher who doesn't recognize this and is more of the "my way or the highway" type is not going to be successful in the long run.

Look, at the risk of sounding cynical (OK, it is cynical!) it is much, much easier for a teacher to stick to a rigid course of study: little or no lesson planning to do! When you can play page 10, we will go on to page 11 and not before! My whole family is and where professional musicians, some quite known and very successful and "serious musicians." My dad, who was a very well known drummer in the Big Band days was the sweetest, kindest man who ever lived - except when it came to learning an instrument. Watching him and my uncle and my grandfather teach in a rigid way taught me that for some people (most, I think) this traditional way of teaching music is fraught with anxiety and stress for the student, mixed with varying amounts of satisfaction of accomplishment. I knew there had to be a better way.

No guitar teacher should ever forget for one minute that their students are there because they want to be and they often need not only a guitar teacher but a cheerleader. A good teacher never forgets to focus as much on what the student CAN do as well as what he can't!

But in spite of my best efforts, for one reason or another there is the occasional student for whom I am not a good match. I accept this and if that becomes apparent I do not hesitate to suggest they either take some time off from lessons - or find another teacher. Some guitar teachers I've seen over the years are unable to do this and I suspect that has more to do with their ego than caring about what's right for the student.

So, I suggest that you take some time off from your lessons, digest what you've learned and then either go back to your present teacher with specific questions and clarify your needs and expectations.....or find another teacher.

Good luck and I hope you keep playing!

Gene

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write