The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-23-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone familiar with CMML?

CMML is a rare form of leukemia. It seems to be a subset of the more common condition known as MDS - myelodyplastic syndrome. I'd be interested in learning of your experiences. Thanks. Larry
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;
Old 02-23-2020, 12:04 PM

My dad had it, but I'm not sure I can give you much help. He was in his 80s when diagnosed with CMML and passed away from a separate, unrelated condition less than two years later. At his age he was not a candidate for stem cell transplant--which by my understanding is the only possible cure for CMML--but the leukemia was being managed with medication, and from what his doctors said our impression was that he could have gone on with it for some time if not for his other illness.

I'm sorry you have reason to ask about it. Best of luck to you and whoever else is confronted with it.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:55 AM

Default CLL

Do not have CMML but was recently diagnosed with CLL, also a form of leukemia. Not sure yet how progressed it is, but on line information says it often first shows up in those over 70 years of age and frequently is only monitored. It also seems to be manageable with meds. Still it scares the heck out of me.

Look on line, there are a number leukemia information sites. Good luck with your CMML !!!
81 Fender E Strat
13 Epiphone Sheraton II
82 Seagull 12 string
Old 02-27-2020, 12:36 PM

I was diagnosed with CML "Chronic myeloid leukemia" fours ago and put on a medication called " tasigna" to my understanding at the time there were 3 different types of medications available. I did catch it very early by luck and in under 6 months my white blood cells were back to normal and in one year my fish cell count was 00.00 you can ask for any better than that.

What once was a terminal disease is now very treatable. "IF" you catch it early, get your blood work done every year folks. Now this medication is very expensive $12000.00 a month.....THAT IS NOT A TYPE O so you will need to have insurance. But you will be able to enjoy the rest of your life.

I have zero side effects and live a completely normal life

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Tags
leukemia