The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
A small turn will not cause your guitar to explode and can definitely help with the action, despite what the purests say. The operative word is "small."
Adjusting one's truss rod only helps if it is the thing that needs to be adjusted to improve action. Otherwise, it will make action worse.

Large, small, medium are irrelevant. Don't randomly adjust the truss rod. Define a target amount of relief and adjust the truss rod as much, or as little, as necessary to get it from where it is now to that target.

For most players, strings and styles a target of between about .005" and .010" is desirable. Some like a little more, some a little less. Feel free to experiment with the amount of relief on your guitars to find what YOU like best. Then you have a defined target, at least on that instrument, with those strings for your style of playing.

This isn't rocket surgery. It's so simple, I'm not sure what there is to debate about it.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 AM

Truss rod purists say to adjust it first, then and only then address action - for a reason. It's undeniable that adjusting the truss rod either way - more relief or less relief - has an effect on action height. It just does. So if you have too much relief and slightly high action, adjusting the truss rod is the correct step to take to fix the problem. It's only when the truss rod is correct that you look at other steps to address playability. I look at guitar setup as a continuum - it starts at the nut and works it's way down the neck, all parts affect all others, nothing stands alone. You need the nut, the frets, the truss rod, the saddle, the intonation to all be right, at the same time. If adjusting the truss rod is the right thing to do, then do it! And don't apologise...
Old 02-18-2020, 11:11 AM

it's pretty simple actually. Just look down the neck, knowing what you're looking for, and adjust as needed.

not rocket science.

That said, I can feel it... immediately.... I'm sure many people on this board can.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Why? Using the truss rod to adjust neck relief is absolutely one method to help adjust the action on the neck. Even pro Guitar tech's working on touring artists concert tours use this technique all the time. It's quick, simple, and easy, and it works great...as Shades Of Blue found out.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
It “works” because the relief wasn’t right initially. And because many electric players only know one way to “adjust the action”.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
This is why the sequence of neck adjustments starts with setting neck relief, then moving to the other stuff.
I found this to be true also. I adjust relief, nut and then saddle.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-18-2020, 12:56 PM

Yup, I used to give my Taylor a 1/4 turn during the winter and then turn it back 1/4 in the summer.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
I’m curious which way you turned the truss rod? I’m guessing you loosened it for more relief?
Hi Lillis

Yes. I've always had instruments where you Loosen UP (counter clockwise) to add more relief, and Tighten DOWN (clockwise) to flatten the fingerboard…

Perhaps there are some built other than that.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
...Yes. I've always had instruments where you Loosen UP (counter clockwise) to add more relief, and Tighten DOWN (clockwise) to flatten the fingerboard…

Perhaps there are some built other than that.
Only in the Southern Hemisphere - naturally, they work in the opposite direction there.

We need Bruce and Colin from Australia to chime in here - I’m pretty certain that the Coriolis Effect enters into it south of the equator, as well....

whm
Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Only in the Southern Hemisphere - naturally, they work in the opposite direction there.

We need Bruce and Colin from Australia to chime in here - I’m pretty certain that the Coriolis Effect enters into it south of the equator, as well....

whm
OK Wade

No toilet talk allowed…right?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Adjusting one's truss rod only helps if it is the thing that needs to be adjusted to improve action. Otherwise, it will make action worse.
No argument here. My assumption is that it would indeed be the thing that needed to be adjusted. Of course it you loosen it when you should have tightened it or vice versa that would make the action worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Large, small, medium are irrelevant. Don't randomly adjust the truss rod. Define a target amount of relief and adjust the truss rod as much, or as little, as necessary to get it from where it is now to that target.
Nobody advocated randomly adjusting the truss rod. I have made small adjustments to tighten or loosen the truss rod between winter and summer. For me it gets the action exactly when I want it to compensate for the weather and humidity changes that happen when the seasons change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair