The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-22-2020, 04:08 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone make their own food or beverages from scratch?

You know what, let's include things you may grow (veggies/fruits) or raise (chickens).
I once grew carrots and runner beans in a community garden. They had a much better flavour than shop grown carrots or beans - OTOH they only yielded enough for 2 meals after quite a few hours of work. I think I had a bigger plot that I actually owned I could nail a routine of planting/sowing etc that might be economically competitive going to a supermarket.

It would be interesting to know what they do on commercial farms that takes the flavour out of veg.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Southern fried chicken sounds delicious.
It was, but can't do it too often. Last night I made fettuccini with clam sauce (another heart-stopper!), side of grilled asparagus. Tonight we're dining out. I'm having a salad.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM

Yesterday, I hit the 45 day mark for the dry-aging of a 20lb bone-in prime rib roast...

So I pulled it out of the cooler, butchered, bagged and froze my 2.8lb (each) cowboy steaks.

I'm sure I'll cook these in different ways, but because they're so thick, I suspect I'll have best success with Sous-Vide (129ºF for 2.5 hours) followed by a pan-sear butter baste, or, indirect heat (around 175º) in the big green egg with a reverse sear @ 500ºF.

I have a nice prime boneless rib going into the dry age cooler in a couple days!
Old 03-05-2020, 04:49 PM

I make a very tasty rye sourdough bread. I'm anything but passionate about cooking or baking, and this move resulted from the pure desperation that any German expat experiences in the US, which by our standards is a wasteland when it comes to baked goods...

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Grow Tangelos, Eurekas, Meyers, Mandarins, Valencias, Navels, Mexican limes.....

...and zillions of of native drought-resistant plants (AKA...weeds).
Old 03-05-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

I once made a lot of my food from scratch. Now I just make my own salad dressing and yogurt. Retirement (coming soon) should allow me time to make bread, soups, sauces and other food.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:11 PM

Looks great! Let us know how the cooking, and eating, turn out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Yesterday, I hit the 45 day mark for the dry-aging of a 20lb bone-in prime rib roast...

So I pulled it out of the cooler, butchered, bagged and froze my 2.8lb (each) cowboy steaks.

I'm sure I'll cook these in different ways, but because they're so thick, I suspect I'll have best success with Sous-Vide (129ºF for 2.5 hours) followed by a pan-sear butter baste, or, indirect heat (around 175º) in the big green egg with a reverse sear @ 500ºF.

I have a nice prime boneless rib going into the dry age cooler in a couple days!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic