The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-12-2020, 07:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Whole new set-up - looking for advice and guidance

I know that this is a wide open question, and that there are a lot of resources for me to research. But here is the situation:

Let’s say you’re starting from scratch, your budget is $5,000 +/-, and your goal is to purchase a brand new set-up for recording and filming high quality acoustic guitar videos for a new youtube channel. Sound recording quality should be emphasized over video quality. Here are the needs:

1. Computer (preferably laptop)
2. Video/sound editing software
3. Video/still camera
4. Microphone(s)
5. Preamp/Interface

I know I’m asking a lot, but any help, guidance, direction, and words of wisdom will be highly appreciated and very thankfully received.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:47 PM

Since doing all of those things involve a lot of knowledge, time, effort and practice/experience to do well, I would buy the equipment you know how to use and operate properly. So my answer would be just like if you asked what guitar to buy with $5,000 - the one(s) you have gone out and researched and feel is in your comfort zone to operate and learn on.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Since doing all of those things involve a lot of knowledge, time, effort and practice/experience to do well, I would buy the equipment you know how to use and operate properly. So my answer would be just like if you asked what guitar to buy with $5,000 - the one(s) you have gone out and researched and feel is in your comfort zone to operate and learn on.
Fair enough. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

I think you forgot a few things - most notably monitors, which you need to be able to mix high quality audio, and room treatment, which you'll want for recording and being able to hear what you record. You also don't say what you're recording: solo guitar? Singer/Songwriter? 8-piece rock band? Makes a big difference.

Here's what I'd consider with that budget range, assuming either solo guitar or singer/songwriter

Computer: Macbook, $1300
Interface: Apogee Duet , $650
Audio Software: Logic, $299 (alternate, Garage Band, free)
Video Software: Final Cut Pro X, $299
Monitors: Adam A3, or similar, $350 each = $700
Camera: Lumix G7 or similar, $500
Mics:Pair of AT4033s or similar, $800
Room treatment, mic stands, cables: $500

That comes to $5048 if my prices are right. Might be tight on the room treatment, cables, etc.

But there are literally dozens, if not hundreds of options for each of these, and you could cut corners on many things. PCs are cheaper, Audacity is a free audio editor, or Reaper is decent for $60. There are usable mics for as little as $100 each. I think anyone considering recording should at least look at the Zoom recorders, the H6 will give you 6 inputs for $300, and even the built-in mics are fine. For You Tube, you can get by with almost any camera these days - maybe you want a couple of $100 point and shoot cameras (or you can use your phone). You could try headphones for monitoring, but mixes don't work as well, and good headphones will cost almost as much as decent monitors. You could easily cut this budget in half or more and still have a decent recording setup, as long as you're not trying to record a band.

I've not done it, but you should be able record a decent video with a smart phone or tablet, external interface and mics, edit on the phone and upload to you tube. Assuming you have a phone/tablet, there's recording/editing software for next to nothing, get an interface like the Duet mentioned above, a couple of decent mics, decent headphones, and you'd be done for a fraction of your budget. All depends on what you're trying to do.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Let’s say you’re starting from scratch, your budget is $5,000 +/-, and your goal is to purchase a brand new set-up for recording and filming high quality acoustic guitar videos for a new youtube channel. Sound recording quality should be emphasized over video quality.
As usual, Doug's post is packed with information...

It appears your aim is (solo?) acoustic guitar, so I would spend most of your time figuring out microphones, as I believe they will affect your sound quality the most.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think you forgot a few things - most notably monitors, which you need to be able to mix high quality audio, and room treatment, which you'll want for recording and being able to hear what you record. You also don't say what you're recording: solo guitar? Singer/Songwriter? 8-piece rock band? Makes a big difference.

Here's what I'd consider with that budget range, assuming either solo guitar or singer/songwriter

Computer: Macbook, $1300
Interface: Apogee Duet , $650
Audio Software: Logic, $299 (alternate, Garage Band, free)
Video Software: Final Cut Pro X, $299
Monitors: Adam A3, or similar, $350 each = $700
Camera: Lumix G7 or similar, $500
Mics:Pair of AT4033s or similar, $800
Room treatment, mic stands, cables: $500

That comes to $5048 if my prices are right. Might be tight on the room treatment, cables, etc.

But there are literally dozens, if not hundreds of options for each of these, and you could cut corners on many things. PCs are cheaper, Audacity is a free audio editor, or Reaper is decent for $60. There are usable mics for as little as $100 each. I think anyone considering recording should at least look at the Zoom recorders, the H6 will give you 6 inputs for $300, and even the built-in mics are fine. For You Tube, you can get by with almost any camera these days - maybe you want a couple of $100 point and shoot cameras (or you can use your phone). You could try headphones for monitoring, but mixes don't work as well, and good headphones will cost almost as much as decent monitors. You could easily cut this budget in half or more and still have a decent recording setup, as long as you're not trying to record a band.

I've not done it, but you should be able record a decent video with a smart phone or tablet, external interface and mics, edit on the phone and upload to you tube. Assuming you have a phone/tablet, there's recording/editing software for next to nothing, get an interface like the Duet mentioned above, a couple of decent mics, decent headphones, and you'd be done for a fraction of your budget. All depends on what you're trying to do.
Doug, I can’t tell you how much you’ve helped me here. Thank you so much for taking the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
As usual, Doug's post is packed with information...

It appears your aim is (solo?) acoustic guitar, so I would spend most of your time figuring out microphones, as I believe they will affect your sound quality the most.
Thanks Gordon. Yes, it will be for solo acoustic guitar.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 AM

If you haven't done home recording (or video editing) before, be prepared to do a lot of learning and experimentation - maybe even years worth. Gear does not equal knowledge or ability.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
If you haven't done home recording (or video editing) before, be prepared to do a lot of learning and experimentation - maybe even years worth. Gear does not equal knowledge or ability.
Noted and appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Maybe you know this and are familiar with Doug Young's reputation but it's highly improbable for you to get better advice than his. Knowing what I know of Doug, I'd get exactly what he suggested in a previous post. What will cost you a little over $5000 comes from about $1,000,000 worth of experience.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Doug, I can’t tell you how much you’ve helped me here. Thank you so much for taking the time.
You're welcome, hope I don't steer you wrong! There are so many choices these days and everyone works differently and has different tastes and needs, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Since you're recording solo guitar, if you haven't seen the video/article I did for Acoustic Guitar a year or so ago, it might be helpful:

https://acousticguitar.com/home-reco...oustic-guitar/

I don't know why I look so grumpy in the video splash....

Old 02-13-2020, 07:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
You're welcome, hope I don't steer you wrong! There are so many choices these days and everyone works differently and has different tastes and needs, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Since you're recording solo guitar, if you haven't seen the video/article I did for Acoustic Guitar a year or so ago, it might be helpful:
Doug, I just read your article and watched your video. I will re-read and re-watch many times. So incredibly helpful, thank you so much!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:42 PM

Doug's overview of a very complicated subject is very good. I don't think he mentioned lights, and that is something to consider. LED panels are quite good and not too expensive. Light boxes with individual bulbs can produce very pleasing soft light too.

But the most important thing, no matter what your hardware is, is figuring out how to do it. Very professional results can be had with iphones, particularly with supplemental lenses (like the Moment lenses), but these are usually done by people who understand exposure, composition, lighting, backgrounds, camera movement (if there is any) and all the stuff that makes video look good.

There are many Youtube videos about all these related subjects and it is often helpful to look at Youtube music videos and try to determine what makes them look good and what makes them look bad. Often something as simple as how big the room you are shooting in can make a huge difference, because it allows distance between the subject and the background, distance which allows for different background lighting and greater depth of field (the background can be out of focus).

In terms of knowledge, this is a huge subject. It is quite possible to spend $5000 and shoot terrible videos, not because the equipment isn't good, but because you don't know how to us it. So I would make my first priority, before you spend any money, educating yourself about the subject of video production, by whatever means you can.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 02-13-2020, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Doug's overview of a very complicated subject is very good. I don't think he mentioned lights, and that is something to consider. LED panels are quite good and not too expensive. Light boxes with individual bulbs can produce very pleasing soft light too.
Yeah, I was trying to avoid that rathole :-) There's a whole other level with video, but it depends on what you're doing. You could shoot video with an iphone in natural daylight and not worry about lights, or you could have lights, backdrops, multiple cameras, etc. For lights, I recently got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q42GXQ which are cheap and work quite nicely (I added a softbox for them later, which helps a lot). You can also get more cameras, I usually use 3, which helps make the video less boring, I think (hope). But cost adds up, and you could easily spend $5K just on video gear, without even getting into top-end stuff.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post

But the most important thing, no matter what your hardware is, is figuring out how to do it. Very professional results can be had with iphones, particularly with supplemental lenses (like the Moment lenses), but these are usually done by people who understand exposure, composition, lighting, backgrounds, camera movement (if there is any) and all the stuff that makes video look good.

There are many Youtube videos about all these related subjects and it is often helpful to look at Youtube music videos and try to determine what makes them look good and what makes them look bad. Often something as simple as how big the room you are shooting in can make a huge difference, because it allows distance between the subject and the background, distance which allows for different background lighting and greater depth of field (the background can be out of focus).

In terms of knowledge, this is a huge subject. It is quite possible to spend $5000 and shoot terrible videos, not because the equipment isn't good, but because you don't know how to us it. So I would make my first priority, before you spend any money, educating yourself about the subject of video production, by whatever means you can.
Quote:
Yeah, I was trying to avoid that rathole :-) There's a whole other level with video, but it depends on what you're doing. You could shoot video with an iphone in natural daylight and not worry about lights, or you could have lights, backdrops, multiple cameras, etc. For lights, I recently got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q42GXQ which are cheap and work quite nicely (I added a softbox for them later, which helps a lot). You can also get more cameras, I usually use 3, which helps make the video less boring, I think (hope). But cost adds up, and you could easily spend $5K just on video gear, without even getting into top-end stuff.
More great information. Thanks again to both of you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD