The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-13-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post

Been seeing these lately around the lake next door...
Always mixed in with deer tracks.
But the steps seem to take no real rhyme or reason...

Top two tracks most likely came from a pig (feral, perhaps); that third print at bottom is characteristic of a deer (exhibits pointed tip typical of a cervid). Middle print appears to be a double track--one track overlaps another.

Last edited by Inyo; 02-13-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:04 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Those tracks don’t look anything like those I’ve ever seen a deer make.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
They are perfectly smart for their lives in the woods. Humans on the other hand....
Agree. In my part of the world they use to jump out in front of cars crossing the road decades ago (back in the ‘70s) - now you’ll see them stand by the side of the road *waiting to cross*, looking both ways, then *walking slowly across the road when clear* as if instinctually knowing they can be seen. Some animals are adapting quickly to their changing environment.

PS photo doesn’t look like deer tracks to me
Old 02-13-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Turkeys on the other hand go wherever they want when they want. No matter what. Their only saving grace is that they are slow. They don't run out in front of cars they walk.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-13-2020, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Agree with the posters on the double deer prints. Often see the triple toe tracks of walking deer going up our roads after a fresh snow fall.

Took a walk this morning after an inch or two of wet snow and saw many of these prints. Seems their rear foot lands just off center of a front print and leaves that image. More prevalent with larger/older deer then the smaller/younger ones.

Been a strange winter so far, milder then usual and still waiting for the 2-3 foot snow fall that occurs here at least once a year. Even came across bear tracks several times in the past few weeks including this AM.

john
Old 02-13-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

I think there is just a bit of over thinking going on. Since the OP stated he has seen it more than once. I doubt it is a double print of some kind, the odds of it happening even a second time make that highly improbable.
My guess is it is most likely a deformed dew claw the has over grown, enlarged, and grown down to level of the hoof . Also it is probably a buck as their tracks tend to be longer proportionally and a bit more straight sided /less heart shaped than a doe as per the OP photos

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-13-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Top two tracks most likely came from a pig (feral, perhaps); that third print at bottom is characteristic of a deer (exhibits pointed tip typical of a cervid). Middle print appears to be a double track--one track overlaps another.
To the best of my knowledge, we have no pigs here, feral or otherwise.
Lots of prints, deer, canine varieties, cats, raccoon, bird prints larger than my size 10 boots too!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Kevwind...as improbable as it sounds, have walked behind a single deer down our road and seen the double step about 2-3 times in a hundred foot stretch of snow covered road.

If 6 or more deer go for a stroll down our road, you're likely to see that print a lot more.

john
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post

To the best of my knowledge, we have no pigs here, feral or otherwise.
Actually, the commercial Fair Valley Farm--which raises "pasture-raised pigs" that "are able to forage for about 40% of their diet"--exists only 1.90 miles east of the eastern shores of Fern Ridge Reservoir, Oregon, scene of the mystery tracks.

And of course the following Oregon counties contiguous with Lane County--wherein lies Fern Ridge Reservoir near Eugene--have all officially reported feral pigs: Douglas County; Klamath County; and Deschutes County. Thus, based on the distinctive tracks revealed in the original post here, one would not be surprised at all to learn that feral porcine specimens have now invaded Lane County, as well, finding their way to the Fern Ridge Reservoir area.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Yep, maybe the hoof is split, or has been injured.

I have a million deer on my 30 acres and have never seen that.

Yes.

A million.

This is deer country.....

Did a deer eat your headlight?
scott
Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Agree with the posters on the double deer prints. Often see the triple toe tracks of walking deer going up our roads after a fresh snow fall.

Took a walk this morning after an inch or two of wet snow and saw many of these prints. Seems their rear foot lands just off center of a front print and leaves that image. More prevalent with larger/older deer then the smaller/younger ones. john
please share us a photo next time you see them
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Riverwolf...have an old slide phone that takes pictures but don't know how to download. Found our iPad (?) and charging it so will try in a few.

john
Old 02-14-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Kevwind...as improbable as it sounds, have walked behind a single deer down our road and seen the double step about 2-3 times in a hundred foot stretch of snow covered road.

If 6 or more deer go for a stroll down our road, you're likely to see that print a lot more.

john
Humm ? well anything is possible I suppose. In 30 years of hunting and 40 years of living with deer constantly on our property it is not something I remember seeing, (perhaps I was not paying close enough attention). But I would still bet on deformed dew claw

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-14-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
That one ran into my truck at a full sprint. There was no stopping, it just committed Harry Cary is all I can figure.

They are dumber than any other animal...
No, actually geese are worse.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Kevwind, I'm no animal expert and you probably know more about deer habitat and habits then I do. Took some pics this AM and sure hope I'm not a complete fool but they look an awful lot like the OP's picture. Trying to figure out how to post the pics.

Saw one of the deer yesterday on our old road and no cars plus sub zero weather preserved them some what.

Pushed the little icon that says insert image and it asks for a URL....Houston we have a problem........

Took pictures with Apple Ipad and transferred them to this laptop and here sits a 68 yo fool wishin' his 14 yo neice were here.

Will be back folks after doing some reading on old posts and looking for explanations of how to insert a picture.....see ya in a day or two, or week or two.

john

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic