The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-29-2020, 08:21 AM

Default Boy, am I ever frustrated

It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago and wifey said "Buy yourself something nice--not a guitar--but something."
I thought maybe it was time to buy a microphone to record myself playing guitar. You know how recording audio on an iPhone sucks, so the idea was to fix that. I poked around on the interwebs and found one that was quite nicely reviewed. It's a Samson G-Track Pro, and seems quite capable [see product description, URL at bottom.
There wasn't information detailing its power or its output, and I posed that question, but no one bit. I took a chance and ordered it.
Turns out it has no power, but uses power from whatever computer you hook it up to. Okay, fine. I hooked it up to my iPhone and got a prompt: "This device draws too much power and can't be used." Tried it on my iPad, same prompt.
I consulted with friends who suggested I needed a hub to hook the mic up for power, so I bought a hub. After getting a USB 2.0 micro for its output, with a conversion to iPhone connector I finally tried it out. Nothing.
Anyone know how I can get this thing to work with the iPhone or the iMac that I have? Thanks.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 01-29-2020, 08:26 AM

It should work just plugging it into your iMac.

I have a similar USB mic that I just plug into a USB port on my iMac. It works.

I doubt you'll get that type of mic to work with an iPhone.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:32 AM

You could try something like this: It lets the phone talk to the USB port, but provides the power rather than the phone do it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elecjoy-Cam...0308314&sr=8-4
Old 01-29-2020, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Powered USB hub? Cabling that enables a power pass through?

The Samson site doesn't list the G-Track Pro as working with IOS devices. However it does list the G-Track and says the following:

Quote:
Note: The Samson G Track USB Mic may be used in conjunction with the Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter when the passthrough power connector is connected to a power source.

* The Samson G Track requires the use of a powered USB hub to be used with an iOS device.
https://samsontech.zendesk.com/hc/en...-Compatibility

as for your Mac - you followed the manual instructions?
Old 01-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Anyone know how I can get this thing to work with the iPhone or the iMac that I have?
Did you mean to say "iPad" rather than "iMac"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
You could try something like this: It lets the phone talk to the USB port, but provides the power rather than the phone do it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elecjoy-Cam...0308314&sr=8-4
Did you link to the correct item? The item I'm seeing doesn't appear to have a power source other than the products to which it connects.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-29-2020, 09:07 AM

i think you should get an interface like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (or Pro or whatever you want...Solo's just the simplest/cheapest). it has phantom power to use with a condenser mic. i got one last month and works well plus comes with the license to use the DAW that you probably need to record in the best way.
https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-i.../scarlett-solo
Old 01-29-2020, 09:07 AM

The Apogee mic works very well with the iphone if you get frustrated and want to return it.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:45 AM

Great stuff here! Lots of useful info. for me, as I have been embarking on similar territory—& it isn’t easy when you have no experience and are practically averse to technology! Good luck.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsforlife View Post
Great stuff here! Lots of useful info. for me, as I have been embarking on similar territory—& it isn’t easy when you have no experience and are practically averse to technology! Good luck.
THIS is why I recommend a stand alone recorder such as a Tascam DR-05 for "simple" recording. Some of them will operate just fine as a USB microphone, so no need to get a special usb mic, plus you can use them anywhere without dragging another device to tether it to.

Once a stand alone recorder is used to capture your audio then the resulting files can be transferred to a computer for further editing.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:16 PM

Default That's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Did you mean to say "iPad" rather than "iMac"?

[I did intend to say ipad, although I also have an Imac]

Did you link to the correct item? The item I'm seeing doesn't appear to have a power source other than the products to which it connects.
[That's true. Here's my original post where I talk specifically about that]

There wasn't information detailing its power or its output, and I posed that question, but no one bit. I took a chance and ordered it.
Turns out it has no power, but uses power from whatever computer you hook it up to.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 01-29-2020, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
[That's true. Here's my original post where I talk specifically about that]

Turns out it has no power, but uses power from whatever computer you hook it up to.
I agree that the promotional language isn't clear on that fact. The instructions make it a bit more clear at it has a "Connecting to a Computer" section and lists only Windows and OSX as viable options. Your iPad and iPhone are not going to cut it. I think your best option is to pack it up and return it.

YouTube
Old 01-29-2020, 02:32 PM

You'll want a powered hub, it has to plug into the wall and use house current.
Something like: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00DQFGH80
Check the third image down on the amazon page, it shows the walwart. The walwart connection plugs into the hub on the side, right next to the cable coming out of the hub that will plug into the computer.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sford52 View Post
You'll want a powered hub, it has to plug into the wall and use house current.
Something like: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B00DQFGH80
Check the third image down on the amazon page, it shows the walwart. The walwart connection plugs into the hub on the side, right next to the cable coming out of the hub that will plug into the computer.
That might work but the manual doesn't have any language indicating the mic will work with iOS. It specifically mentions OSX and Windows.

YouTube
Old 01-30-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsforlife View Post
Many started with no experience and with little in the way of specific audio tech knowledge. But most can with time acquire at least a working knowledge.

Yes the technology and terminology can be overwhelming when new .
BUT given the label for a professional recording person was originally, "audio engineer", and what we as amatures are trying to replicate ,,,,,seems to me learning some of the tech, should be accepted as part of the goal and learning curve.

This forum can be a knowledgeable resource ......
But as I have posted literally hundreds of times ( and arguably should be a sticky for this recording forum)

#1 Decide what your current and perhaps foreseeable short term future goals are for wanting to record.

#2 Decide on, and post an actual expressed dollar amount budget range.
Phrases like " won't break the bank" "reasonable" etc. etc. are pretty much meaningless. Every "bank" has a different amount of funds to "break"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-30-2020, 08:55 AM

Be aware that many powered usb hubs will not supply the power required unless connected to a computer. Your iPad may not work in this configuration. I use the apple adapter (I think its called a usb 3 adapter) that plugs into the iPad and has both a usb and a lightning port. Connect the lightning port to your adapter and plug your device into the usb port. Using my Zoom interface this works fine and charges the iPad at the same time. It also works with my Steinberg UR22 unless I need phantom power ... then I have to plug in the supplemental 5v power supply.

Link to the adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...apter?fnode=91

Last edited by 89bruin; 01-30-2020 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Additional information.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD