The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-11-2020, 08:53 AM

Default AirTurn goSTAND mic stand?

Looking to further compact my gig kit for a one-trip load-in/out and the mic stand is always the odd piece. I'm wondering if anyone here uses this mic stand that collapses to 18" and can relate their experience, good or other. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:08 AM

I've never seen one before, but their bundle package certainly is tempting.
https://store.airturn.com/collection...airturn-roadie
Breedlove Blond Jumbo
Yamaha Silent Steel String
Old 01-11-2020, 10:28 AM

I've had one for a few years now, with the boom added. In terms of compact size for portability and small-stand applications with the ability to expand to the dimensions of a regular-sized stand it's very well-designed.

However, it is not very robust, so you will need to take care with it. In the last year, a couple of the smaller parts have failed. The plastic sleeve around one of the tripod leg expanders and the plastic shell around the tightening mechanism for the top telescoping pole have both cracked (in the latter case, leaving the tightening screw for the top telescoping pole unusable--there's no way to tighten the top section in place). The tripod leg expander pieces also come out easily and can get lost on a large or crowded stage, so you need to keep an eye on that.

Over-all the advantages have out-weighed the problems (and for now, I don't need the top telescope for my purposes, so I'm thinking of just using some J B Weld to glue it into its retracted position permanently).

If you do get one, treat it gently!

Louis
Old 01-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

I have it, I've used it, I like it, but it takes a little care and awareness to use.

It really breaks down small and fits comfortably inside a Pelican Air 1535, you don't even have to go diagonal in it.

I think it's well made, seems like quality materials. Two things: It's flexible when extended and you're going to need a mic boom to reach your mouth if you're standing.

By flexibility, I mean the telescoping tubes are a little thin and it'll see-saw a little bit if you knock into it (I do mean a little). If you're used to eating the mic and energetically bouncing into it when attached to a typical weighted stand, it could be an issue.

As for height, I'm just 5' 6" and need that boom to do some of the work of reaching me. Another way to compensate is to not fully extend the telescoping legs, but that makes it less stable. (I didn't explain that well. I mean, fully extend the legs, but don't pull the entire leg system all the way down to the base. Less width, more height).

(Don't make the idiotic mistake I did, and not notice that the legs have a telescoping section as well).

In short it does the job but I don't know that I'd want to use it all the time if I were regularly gigging. I use it for an occasional gig where the sound stage is tiny and I need to bring everything up there in that Pelican and start wailing.

I don't know how well all those screws would hold up for starters. (Edit: Lol, see lscwhart above).

Last edited by Chriscom; 01-11-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple - they are fantastic if you need a very compact mic stand to take with you, and I’ve found them to be as well, or even slightly better made, than most inexpensive mic stands. But they are very lightweight, so of you want a stand that you can regularly abuse - these probably aren’t for you. Definitely want to get the boom arm with it - and they are having a seconds sale right now that makes them very reasonably priced -
Old 01-11-2020, 03:19 PM

Thanks! I pull a wheeled tool box that contains all my Gear for the gig, and the goSTAND would fit. I’ll give it a try. I’ve spent $50 in worse ways.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Thanks! I pull a wheeled tool box that contains all my Gear for the gig, and the goSTAND would fit. I’ll give it a try. I’ve spent $50 in worse ways.
Excellent. Would be interested to see what you think when you get it.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:14 PM

Default GoStand

I have two, have had one for several years. I use it with the Manos IPad mount
And an AirTurn pedal. Works great...easy to break down, fits in my gig duffle
Bag. No problems...definitely recommend it.

1947 Martin 00-18G
1950 Martin 00-18 (birth year)
1965 Guild F-30 NT
1967 Gretsch Country Gentleman
1979 Martin E-18
1984 Martin D-28V Brazilian
2008 Gretsch Nashhville Classic
2009 Martin 0M-40 Madagascar custom sunburst
2010 Kirk Sand Classic custom nylon
2013 Martin D-18A 1939
2015 Martin 000-28C
2016 Martin D-28A 1941
Old 01-12-2020, 11:33 AM

It’s ok for playing while seated, but standing with a harmonica attached to the boom, too wobbly for me. I use it as a backup mostly, or when another musician joins me.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:02 PM

Ordered, with the boom, from B&H in NYC. Should have it Tuesday. I was hoping the local GC or Sam Ash would have in stock so I could use for tonight's gig. I'll let you know first impressions when it gets here, but won't have the chance to use it for a gig for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:20 AM

Got the stand and boom last night, set it up with my iPad and SM58 to see how it'll do. At full extension of each vertical telescoping part the stand is as wobbly as a drunk at closing time. Unacceptable. But retract each section by 2" and it's MUCH more stable, although 6" shorter than the max height. The boom makes up the difference, and I'm able to get my mic in the sweet spot. The tripod base seems to be OK, but I've got it fairly wide, telescoping legs unextended, making a triangle of about 15" on a side. I could always add a coil of extra cable (also in my gear box) around the base for added security and stability. I see what others have said about it being a little less than tour ready. The knobs are small and delicate, easily broken with rough handling. No matter, it goes into my rolling gear box and I'm the only one who'll handle it. No use for it at a gig until 1/26 ... I think it'll be fine, but I will have my old stand-by (pun intended) waiting in the car if it doesn't work out.

I think that it would work especially well for a seated player/singer (which I am when I'm solo) ...
Old 01-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Got the stand and boom last night, set it up with my iPad and SM58 to see how it'll do. At full extension of each vertical telescoping part the stand is as wobbly as a drunk at closing time. Unacceptable. But retract each section by 2" and it's MUCH more stable, although 6" shorter than the max height. The boom makes up the difference, and I'm able to get my mic in the sweet spot. The tripod base seems to be OK, but I've got it fairly wide, telescoping legs unextended, making a triangle of about 15" on a side. I could always add a coil of extra cable (also in my gear box) around the base for added security and stability. I see what others have said about it being a little less than tour ready. The knobs are small and delicate, easily broken with rough handling. No matter, it goes into my rolling gear box and I'm the only one who'll handle it. No use for it at a gig until 1/26 ... I think it'll be fine, but I will have my old stand-by (pun intended) waiting in the car if it doesn't work out.

I think that it would work especially well for a seated player/singer (which I am when I'm solo) ...
Thanks for the report. Good point about the sitting-down part. I'm sure it's technically possible to make something that condensed but less wobbly when extended, but until some company wants to take a flyer on that, it looks like this is what we've got.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks for the report. Good point about the sitting-down part. I'm sure it's technically possible to make something that condensed but less wobbly when extended, but until some company wants to take a flyer on that, it looks like this is what we've got.
With the boom it doesn't have to be fully extended, though. I'm 6'2", and the stand works for me when standing, too. To make it stiffer they'd have to use heavier tubing, at some point losing its main attraction ... lightweight portability.

I'm not concerned about functionality ... I know it'll work for me. I'm more concerned about long-term wear and tear. We'll see.

Last edited by RustyAxe; 02-13-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've been gigging with a pair of these for more than a year. I use them as speaker stands for the tiny satellite speakers for my Lucas Nano 608i.

They are a little delicate but they are light and pack down very small. I've had no problem with them.

I also use a couple of them for mic stands in my very small home studio. In use they take up less room than conventional mic stands. No stability problems.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:17 AM

I own one, and I only use it because it packs in a suitcase for when i go on vacation. It is not a stand I would use for gigs it's too lightly built.

This is the best compact stand I've used...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKHLKNY..._t2_B009SNI17E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification