The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2020, 03:28 PM

Default pickup for 1996 Taylor 912C

I have a 1996 Taylor 912C and was considering added electronics. Any experience/suggestions (baggs anthem, fishman matrix, etc.)?
Old 08-11-2020, 06:05 PM

I have a 1995 912c with a K&K PowerMix Pure System. The ability to blend the two pickups is great, the onboard preamp is fantastic, and the sound is very natural.

Prior to that I had a Baggs Dual Source system for many years. It sounded good, but the K&K sounds better.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:16 AM

Lots of stuff to consider. What's your budget? playing style? Do you play solo gigs or with a band? Higher volume situations, such as with a loud band or wedge monitors on stage can make some types of pickup very feedback prone. Also consider how much modification you are willing to make to your guitar and whether you have the budget or it is practical to use outboard preamps which are necessary to get the best out of some pickups.
Then finally listen to some sound samples and see what you like. Undersaddle pickups like the Baggs and Fishman you mentioned can sound tinny and 'quacky'. Personally I like magnetic soundhole pickups but some find them too electric sounding. A good place to listen and compare is http://dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Old 09-19-2020, 03:32 PM

Default Anthem affected acoustic tone

I went with the Anthem system on the 912C which sounds wonderful amplified. However, it seems to have impacted the acoustic tone. The guitar doesn't seem as loud, and the lower strings are a little dull, almost like the strings are old. Has anyone else had a problem with the acoustic tone after installing an Anthem?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification