The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-13-2018, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Recording, what else is out there?

There are USB powered devices on the market, but then you have the potential fan noise of a computer to deal with. Also there are plenty of the Zoom like devices on the market (I have a Zoom H5).

Are there other stand alone ("self powered") devices out there that have better mic pre amps than what the Zoom has to offer? I'm just curious.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 PM

The newish Sound Devices recorders are nice. They have the same basic thing in Field-Recorder and Musician versions. I spent some time checking out the Field-Recorder version for a job I didn't end up getting, and it seemed really solid and the mic pres sounded good.

On the other hand, I didn't compare it sonically side by side with the Zoom. I think the H6 sounds a ton better than the H4, don't know anything about the H5.

Couch Standards
Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Someone just posted about the Spire Studio, which was the first I heard of it. I have no idea how the mic preamps are, but it looks like an interesting stand-alone solution.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Yes, Sound Devices would be a most noticeable step up that I'm aware of. I had the 722T ( I think that was the model, tho they seem to have changed the line up a bit, and that one's no longer listed. The 702 looks the closest - almost $3K) that I used for a long time, and it worked great, excellent preamps and converters. Note that it does have a hard drive in it, so it's not 100% silent, tho close. I basically sold mine when the Zoom line came out, as to me, for what I needed, the Zoom was at least as good at a fraction of the price, and is totally silent. I seriously doubt you'd hear a significant difference between one of these and the Zoom for recording solo guitar. Check out the preamp shoot-out I posted a while back to get some idea of what 10-100X the price gets you in preamps in this application. If noise is the concern when using a USB interface, a far easier/cheaper solution is to move your computer to a different room. I just poked a hole in the wall, and monitor, keyboard, USB, etc, cables thru into my recording room. A closet that you can close the door on would be roughly the same.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 PM

The new range of Sound Devices recorders are more "prosumer," less expensive by a lot, and don't have a spinning drive in them.

Couch Standards
Old 12-14-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Someone just posted about the Spire Studio, which was the first I heard of it. I have no idea how the mic preamps are, but it looks like an interesting stand-alone solution.
Here's a short video with Michael Grace on Spire's preamps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD