The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

I want Guru Of The Week for: you don't get what you don't get.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:41 PM

Consider that title as hereby granted, Guru Evan.

I mostly hang out here in the CF forum because it is less acrimonious than the main page. It would be a shame if this sub-forum slips into trolling too, as that would mean the end of my visiting AGF entirely.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Consider that title as hereby granted, Guru Evan.

I mostly hang out here in the CF forum because it is less acrimonious than the main page. It would be a shame if this sub-forum slips into trolling too, as that would mean the end of my visiting AGF entirely.
I had mentioned somewhere here in the past week or two, that we occasionally get someone of the dumas persuasion who doesn't get it and goes out of their way to not "get it."

I like the fact that this sub-forum is friendly and helpful. Don't let the occasional troll(ish) poster turn you off. The info here is useful; if someone chooses not to play nice, they rarely last long. Their only retort is "I don't get it" or they play "the plastic card." Not much to say after that.

My thanks to all the good folks who make this sub-forum the friendly place it is.

Jim
Old 06-03-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My thanks to all the good folks who make this sub-forum the friendly place it is.Jim
I second that motion
Old 06-03-2016, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the encouragement but I'm not going anywhere, Jim. I just make liberal use of the "ignore" function on the User CP. Then the trolling posts don't even display.

But I go into the main forum page less and less often with every passing month.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
....But I go into the main forum page less and less often with every passing month.
I find this is the same for me.

There's seldom anything in the General AGF forum that has interest for me anymore.

With the exception of the occasional 'drive-by's", this subforum is a peaceful and helpful place to learn new things and ask questions.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
... this subforum is a peaceful and helpful place to learn new things and ask questions.
That's precisely why I'm here. Open minds exchanging ideas and information on CF guitars. This is cutting edge stuff, and we're a part of it. Pretty cool.

As one who engages in pitched battle in my professional life (lawyer), when it comes to my personal time I have below-zero interest in listening to tortured viewpoints of rabble rousers.

On with the show. What was the original topic here?
Old 06-03-2016, 11:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've really enjoyed this forum. It's informative, entertaining, and mannerly.

I am seeing two kinds of people here. There appears to be a bunch of old pukes who not afraid of something new, and a gaggle of young folks who are the future.

We are at a revolutionary point in luthery. I love it. I went through more than 40 nylon string wooden guitars looking for my ideal, and I ended up in the what I see as the future--composite guitars that match any sound you want, instruments that are light-weight, not bothered by changes in temperature or humidity, and that play like dreams, made by people who really care.

Thank you all. We are so lucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
That's precisely why I'm here. Open minds exchanging ideas and information on CF guitars. This is cutting edge stuff, and we're a part of it. Pretty cool.

As one who engages in pitched battle in my professional life (lawyer), when it comes to my personal time I have below-zero interest in listening to tortured viewpoints of rabble rousers.

On with the show. What was the original topic here?
I quoted the original post above. Res, you have brought it full-circle. Yes, on with the show...
Old 06-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
What was the original topic here?
In case this question is not rhetorical, it basically said what you just said but in different words.

That we are basically standing on the future of lutherie. Every CF guitar bought not only brings worry free pleasure and unique tones, but it is also a nod and wink- a vote if you will, to encourage the research and development composite guitar making.

It's like buying organic food; yes, you initially pay more- but you get something a cut above conventional offerings. When you add in the "vote" with your dollars factor, competition usually enters the market. This is generally a healthy thing because there is more choices for the consumer and it often drives down cost!
Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 AM

I am a science teacher and love learning about the innovations here and pondering about how to improve guitars.

Composites are definitely the future, and wood will be for traditionalists. I think the move to eKoa by Blackbird is just another step forward in widening our choices.

Choosing your fibre will be like choosing your wood is now.

We currently have flaxfibre, we have glass fibre, carbon fibre, and kevlar fibre is added for mixes.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 06-04-2016, 05:49 AM

I have often said that wood is nature's composite, with cellulose fibers embedded in resin. These days we have various man-made composites - carbon or glass fibers embedded in polyester or epoxy resins. And we have more options all the time. Ekoa is very wood-like in both appearance and tone.

While every single piece of wood is different, manufactured composites are consistent, and can be chosen for whatever mechanical properties are desired. It is a cool time to see the idea applied to instrument building. As an engineer with considerable background in vibration and acoustics, this stuff fascinates me.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

If it's even possible, how long before a Graphene guitar is developed and appears on the market? It would likely have to be constructed of formed layers of Graphene or Graphene/Carbon Fiber Composite to give some mass and structure to the instrument but I wonder how light in weight the guitar would be and what kind of tones it would produce? The first graphene guitars would likely be priced beyond all but the wealthiest of players.

Graphene is a crystalline allotrope of carbon with 2-dimensional properties. Its carbon atoms are densely packed in a regular atomic-scale chicken wire (hexagonal) pattern.

Uses: Potential graphene applications include lightweight, thin, flexible, yet durable display screens, electric circuits, and solar cells, as well as various medical, chemical and industrial processes enhanced or enabled by the use of new graphene materials.

Structural material -
Graphene's strength, stiffness and lightness suggested it for use with carbon fiber. Graphene has been used as a reinforcing agent to improve the mechanical properties of biodegradable polymeric nanocomposites for engineering bone tissue

Sound transducers -
Graphene's light weight provides relatively good frequency response, suggesting uses in electrostatic audio speakers and microphones.[133] In 2015 an ultrasonic microphone and speaker were demonstrated that could operate at frequencies from 20 Hz-500 kHz. The speaker operated at a claimed 99% efficiency with a flat frequency response across the audible range. One application was as a radio replacement for long-distance communications, given sound's ability to penetrate steel and water, unlike radio waves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potent...nd_transducers
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-04-2016, 08:53 PM

Never heard of the material Sprucetop but thanks for the post-it was an interesting read.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber