The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 AM

I have had mine on for about two weeks and played at a recital (guest) recently. Since I have had regular d'Addario and the dynacore strings occasionally give good intonation it is hard to say if the strings have improved in that respect.
My experience:
I noticed that the carbons stretched out quite a lot during install and continued stretching much more than the dynacore sets that I usually use. Once they settled in (in similar time to regular d'Addario nylon set on the trebles) they have been easy to put tune and the tone is good.
With just one trial it is hard to say, but I will likely try another soon.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:51 AM

Too late for the party I suppose, but I'd still like to try them. I'll ask my local retailer.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM

You could always try, Mooh. I sent my request no more than a couple of weeks ago.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
Too late for the party I suppose, but I'd still like to try them. I'll ask my local retailer.
Go ahead and try. I thought I was too late a week or two ago, but today I received the strings.

Cordoba C5 (2015)
Yamaha FS700S (2014)
Conn F-1512 (1977)
Epiphone EA-250 (1973)
Old 10-20-2014, 03:30 PM

The strings came today.

Thank you Don and D'Addario.

Cordoba C5 (2015)
Yamaha FS700S (2014)
Conn F-1512 (1977)
Epiphone EA-250 (1973)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Just got mine.
I have not put them on yet because my EJ45C's are nearly new.
Might have to do it anyway.
I noticed that the tension on the trebles is greater than my normal tension composites but smaller in diameter. Win, win!

I'm more of jazz nylon string player and often play with a pick. These really
look like a great fit for me.

Thanks Don and D'addario!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 AM

Darn! Missed it!

I'm a long time user of D'addario strings, especially the DynaCores and the wonderful coffee-colored composite g-string.

Next time, maybe title the post "Free Strings"
Old 10-21-2014, 11:35 AM

Thank you, Don. I have received the strings and look forward to using them.
Barb
Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Got a set an have them on now..... Outstanding strings... My whole guitar vibrates when I play forte and they sound good.... Powerful indeed.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 11-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Darn, missed this. but will give them a try when my new build arrives in December
Old 11-03-2014, 04:08 PM

I got some of these, and they really sounded good when I first put them on - of course I should have changed strings before, but was too lazy! Anyway I noticed increased loudness and sustain and the strings really seemed to bring out the sweetness of the guitar that I like so much. They did stretch a lot for the first few days, but not more than with the usual Oasis strings. I would say that they excellence in tone seems now to have abated, sadly, but I've got maybe 80 or 100 hours on them so probably to be expected and will have to buy some more!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Unhappy

Put them on a couple of weeks ago, As I was tuning the 1st string, it slipped off the bridge. That hasn't happened to in more than 20 years. Luckily. I routinely tape a piece of cardboard behind the bridge to protect it. Re-tied it with an extra loop, tuned everything to pitch, checked to see if the ties were good, removed the protective cardboard and put the guitar away. Couple hours later, opened the case to find that the 1st string had once again slipped off, leaving a divot on the previously pristine soundboard of my Taylor 814c-N.

Needless to say I removed all the strings and replaced it with a nylon set. I'll not be trying carbons again anytime soon.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
Put them on a couple of weeks ago, As I was tuning the 1st string, it slipped off the bridge. That hasn't happened to in more than 20 years. Luckily. I routinely tape a piece of cardboard behind the bridge to protect it. Re-tied it with an extra loop, tuned everything to pitch, checked to see if the ties were good, removed the protective cardboard and put the guitar away. Couple hours later, opened the case to find that the 1st string had once again slipped off, leaving a divot on the previously pristine soundboard of my Taylor 814c-N.

Needless to say I removed all the strings and replaced it with a nylon set. I'll not be trying carbons again anytime soon.
I'm relatively new to synthetic-strung guitar, but I knew from doing my background research before purchasing my Cordoba that the newer formulations of treble strings often prove tricky to tie. I used two extra loops at the bridge tie and a secure tie at the string post and have had no problems with my first four changes.

This probably should be brought to the user's attention on the string packages. I think string producers just assume that users will know about the difficulties with fluorocarbon and other advanced formulations. That said, they are SO worth the extra care in stinging; no comparison in the tone vs. "standard" nylon.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post

Ouch!
This happens with all fluorocarbon trebles. The easiest solution is to hold a match near, but not on the string end. That will form a ball at the end, and if your string does slip, the ball will catch the loops, rather than slipping completely. Some people have tried this, and burned the string end. In that case, the ball has very little holding strength, and can still slip. If you're without matches, a simple overhand knot, or figure eight know will work as well. They're not pretty, but they will definitely keep a string from slipping all the way.

P.S. I agree with everything Rudy said above, and a warning/instructions should be placed on the package.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 AM

Dang, I feel for the poster with the Taylor.

Since I use Bridge Beads I thought I'd share my experience tuning up.
The high E spooked me a bit. It did not slip at all in the bridge bead but it certainly did stretch more than my usual EJ45C set at the headstock.

Net result was a lot more wraps than normally have.

In the end, the strings stabilized and hold tuning at least as good and maybe a little better than the EJ45C's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical