The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-25-2020, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Default I'm Finally Starting to Feel Like a Singer!

Some history--I'm 65 and have been playing in bands since I was 15 (that's 50 years haha). I started out only playing guitar and always resisted singing. When I was 30ish I was in a classic Country band and my bandmates needed me to sing harmony. I was terrified, but I pressed on and got ok with singing my occasional parts. Eventually along the 12 year stint with that band I stepped up and sang a couple songs a night for variety (we had an awesome front man/singer). Later I joined a Blues band and sang about 1/2 of the songs, but still really considered myself a guitar player. Later I joined a Jug Band, and we had 3 singers--I sang some harmony and then lead on maybe 1 or 2 per set. Later formed another Blues band (still together), and I sing about 20% of the songs, and always felt that my partner was a stronger vocalist. I also play in a couple of other bands currently (and have had several other projects previously), but I never sang. A little over a year ago I "forced" myself step up to doing solo stuff, which was way beyond my comfort level. So, I've worked hard, practiced a lot, took some voice lessons, and started hitting some open mics about 6 months ago. I've gone from being very nervous to pretty comfortable--but again, I still felt like more of a guitar player than singer. I'd get occasional compliments here and there that boosted my confidence. But last time out I was complimented by a frequent music listener at a place I play at regularly with my band (that also hosts open mics). Her husband said "My wife said your good, and If my wife says you're good, you're good). It was like a shift in my attitude, where my confidence jumped 10 fold, to where now I'm starting to thing of myself as a singer and not just a guitarist!!
I still have a ways to go before I'll be at the "solo performer" status--and need to continue to collect enough material to be able to pull off a whole solo gig. I know what I need to work on, but this new found confidence has really boosted my attitude and motivation--I just wish I'd done it 40 years ago!

I hope this offers something for those in the same boat as me--to keep working hard at it, and to use all of the resources you can. I would also love to hear advise from those more experienced re taking it to the next level!
Thanks for listening!!

Last edited by Stringmaster; 02-25-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:57 AM

I think self doubt as vocalists plagues most of us my friend. I've always liked to sing, right since I was a kid (I'm 63 now) but never considered myself even a reasonable 'singist' - but I continued because I enjoy it.

Then a while ago I started my YT channel where I'm lucky to have received some really nice comments, and there have been a few times on holiday when I've been complimented after doing some drunken karaoke - but then perhaps the punters liking my singing were as drunk at the time as *I* was!! lol

I haven't heard your vocals, but I'm sure you're fine and that you deserve the praise you've had re them. Some of the biggest 'stars' in the world don't have the greatest voices; its about capturing the imagination and hearts of your audience; which you obviously do. If you enjoy your singing they'll sense it and enjoy it too.

* GUITARS
Freshman Apollo 6 string electro acoustic
Harley Benton GS-Travel-E Mahogany
50yr old EKO Ranger 12 String
Old 02-26-2020, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Good work! I love it when a plan comes together...

The next step in singing is to begin to really think of "delivering" the song, as opposed to "just" singing it. Along with knowing the lyric backwards and forwards, it's very much the bringing forth of whatever YOU FEEL is the "essence" of the song; what it's really saying (to you - might be different with each person) and giving that through your performance/vocal...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-26-2020, 01:12 PM

I played in a duo for a few years with a guy I've had a long history with,
we harmonize well together so the chemistry as a duo was pretty solid. But we found it hard to get gigs, why pay two one one can do it.

he was off in another band at the time so I figured with so many people doing solo gigs, who were no better than I was, what the heck,, why not.

So I did what you did, practiced hard, and learned how to properly use my voice, then I struck out to do solo gigs.

The one thing the person I took a few vocal lessons from said when he'd see I was backing off a bit "Never be apologetic, You know what to sing, so sing like you mean it"

I learned a bit more on how to be confident. I also found it easier to be using a mic, and putting everything thru the system I'd use playing out or use headphones off my board.

This increased my comfort level once I got used to it and I was able to use my diaphragm properly and not shy away from passages that needed more push than others.

At the end of the day, what I found out was probably what you're seeing.

You're a lot better than you think you are...

stick with it, it's a lot of fun, and a lot easier than I certainly first thought it would be

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write