The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 03:01 AM

Thank you both for your sage advice. And while the lure of finding a Stradivarius at the local thrift store is tempting I’ve got to much on plate. Plus I know my limits and finding and reconditioning old guitars is beyond them. I can barley play the darn things. I should have been more forthcoming with my original post. I’ve actually purchased an old Regal off of Steve and am just waiting on customs to send me my bill so I can clear it. Fingers crossed I’ll take possession of her by the weekend. So my interest in Regals is purely sentimental because I now own one.

Last edited by Salty-Fairy; 12-06-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 12-06-2017, 04:03 PM

I hear ya Salty! They are addicting to a point. I enjoy any older guitars I see and want to play them all.
Here's a new pic of the body being glued back together!
I asked Steve if there was anything he can use to clean some of the grime off the images, haven't heard back yet.
If any of you know what might work, let me know!
Obviously I don't want to harm the images or remove any more paint.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:09 PM

Next will be to prep the area around the bridge to fit the new bridge in the proper place.

Spoke to Steve and he uses 1/4" quartersawn Sitka for the main X braces and a 5mm thick for the top cross brace, then tapers them toward the ends, or edge of the top overall. Mahogany used for the under fretboard extension and maple for the bridgeplate. The dimension of the bridgeplate was determined by the warping of the top, for added support.

Last edited by Looburst; 12-06-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Never seen a better clamping job. The guys got a fortune tied up in clamps! If the grime is oil, grease or tar, Ronsonol lighter fluid will do the trick.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Sweet, I'll mention this to Steve but he may already have a fix in mind, we'll see. Thanks George!

Perry
Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I hope he bought in bulk.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Yes he did, Fred!
Ok, so the body has been put back together and all is well. Some more updates on the Cowboy git!
Got a new bridge today as well as Steve was able to clean a lot of the grime off and I'm happy with the outcome.
Last pic shows bridge being glued and clamped in place.

You can see, comparing these first two pics, how much grime was removed in the second pic.

New bridge waiting to apply.

Won't be long now boys!
She's almost finished.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:35 AM

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!! BEFORE

NOW AFTER!

COWBOY GUITAR BOOK PICTURE!

Steve has been amazing to work with on this and notice how he even got the contours and/or profile of the original bridge shape perfect as well! When you compare to the picture in the cowboy guitars book, the only thing missing are those ugly screws on the bridge.
Thank you Steve for a fun project, that I didn't have to do anything on but watch and of course give you money for.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:37 AM

The guitar will still be at Steve's over the weekend, set up at mock full string tension, he will check it on Monday for any seam pulls, neck adjustments and or anything else.
Right now the saddle is simply sitting on top of the bridge, to check the intonation and pressure to the body and neck. After the weekend, all will be checked again and the saddle slot will be cut and saddle installed properly. Also the neck extension will be glued in place permanently as well. Barring any other adjustments that have to be addressed first.

In addition, the tuners are under review as well for Monday. If they don't hold up to full tension, we will have to deal with that as well.

Last edited by Looburst; 12-08-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Today was a conversation about my playing style, I told Steve moderate to aggressive in attack. Sounds like the guitar did fine over the weekend, as far as tension, neck angle and the tuners held tuning too.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:11 PM

What a blast! I love to see these old boxes made into real playable instruments.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Thank you yes, nothing as sad to a guitar player, as seeing a guitar that nobody plays, or is unplayable.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Nothing as sad to a guitar player, as seeing a guitar that nobody plays, or is unplayable.
Nothing as sad to a guitar, as seeing a guitar player who won't play it.

images.jpg
Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 PM

LOL, that too, George.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Steve did a really amazing job of cleaning the guitar up. Looks like he went with a forward shifted, long taper, non-scalloped bracing.

If you are half as happy with your Regal as I am with my converted Harmony you will be dancing a jig when the guitar comes home. Steve should give you a finders fee as watching your saga unfold has convinced me to send a guitar to him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion