The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Default Well I got a belly and shifting bridge

My 2001 santa cruz Vintage Jumbo appears to be taking after it's owner and is developing a bit of a pot belly and the bridge while not pulling off the top appears a bit diagonal. I'm getting ready to contact Santa Cruz and see if they'll happen to honor a warranty they don't have to as I'm not the original owner but, I mean the worst they can say is no. What am I looking at as a fix?

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:36 PM

How does it sound? In some cases a little belly is good (mine not included).
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM

It still plays and sounds great. I just don’t want to end up harming a guitar I truly love. I will get it set up and hope that a truss rod adjustment will help slightly but the more I read the more it looks like neck set and bridge removal are in my future.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
It still plays and sounds great. I just don’t want to end up harming a guitar I truly love. I will get it set up and hope that a truss rod adjustment will help slightly but the more I read the more it looks like neck set and bridge removal are in my future.
Stop reading! Or at least find better sources.

Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get disturbed because they look at their guitar, see something they don't understand, find bad information on the internet, and get worried over absolutely nothing. You say the guitar plays and sounds great. If the neck angle was off it wouldn't play great. If you had an issue with the bridge it wouldn't sound great.

These guitars are lightly built, in the general style of prewar Martins. They tend to develop some belly and the bridge can rotate forward slightly. Neither is an issue if not excessive. From your posts here, I see nothing even close to a warranty issue, or any issue at all really.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post

Seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've seen people get disturbed because they look at their guitar, see something they don't understand, find bad information on the internet, and get worried over absolutely nothing. You say the guitar plays and sounds great. If the neck angle was off it wouldn't play great. If you had an issue with the bridge it wouldn't sound great.

These guitars are lightly built, in the general style of prewar Martins. They tend to develop some belly and the bridge can rotate forward slightly. Neither is an issue if not excessive. From your posts here, I see nothing even close to a warranty issue, or any issue at all really.
AMEN, brother!! If you want to stay healthy, don't look up symptoms on the internet. Goes for you, and your guitar -
Old 04-04-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post

Thank you for the comfort. I'm gonna take it for a set up and truss rod adjustment and see what the luthier says.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:40 PM

Ding. Great plan.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 AM

Wanted to post an update. Before I left for vacation I tuned the guitar down a step and hadn’t opened the case for almost 2 weeks. Well opened it up last night and noticed things seem to be correcting themselves. A trip to my luthier will be in order.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:40 PM

Default strings?

Are the strings on the guitar too heavy for the guitar, according to the guitar manufacturer?
Old 04-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Are the strings on the guitar too heavy for the guitar, according to the guitar manufacturer?
Nope, they're santa cruz mid tensions which they say they can handle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair