The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-04-2018, 03:21 PM

I'd personally stay away from oil (which might affect your final finish) and certainly ink/marking/paint.

Have you tried just a spit coat of shellac, to see if the color magically evens out?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
I'd personally stay away from oil (which might affect your final finish) and certainly ink/marking/paint.

Have you tried just a spit coat of shellac, to see if the color magically evens out?
Yes, The 2nd picture of the original post is with shellac on it.
This one
Old 04-07-2018, 07:53 AM

If they won't take stain maybe you can try a translucent finish over them. What I am thinking is a few coats of something like EM1000 sanding sealer so you are no longer dealing with the actual wood, then getting some Transtint dye and spot-dyeing the dots to blend in. Key is to totally seal the surface so you are not trying to stain the wood, you are dyeing the finish.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
If they won't take stain maybe you can try a translucent finish over them. What I am thinking is a few coats of something like EM1000 sanding sealer so you are no longer dealing with the actual wood, then getting some Transtint dye and spot-dyeing the dots to blend in. Key is to totally seal the surface so you are not trying to stain the wood, you are dyeing the finish.
Its funny you should mention this because I was thinking the same thing.
I thought I was getting somewhere when I used some paint over the spots, I had them blended pretty good or so I thought.
I started the epoxy pore filling over top and it made everything show up worse. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Its funny you should mention this because I was thinking the same thing.
I thought I was getting somewhere when I used some paint over the spots, I had them blended pretty good or so I thought.
I started the epoxy pore filling over top and it made everything show up worse. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks
I think it's a waste of your time to attempt matching the color by fauxing it, feathering it in, etc.. I restore antiques and make furniture for a living and have plenty of faux finishing experience, along with matching color, grain and so forth. It's not a skill one picks up over night and in your case it's even more challenging because errors are magnified the smaller the item is - like a guitar.

I have no idea what's caused the blemishes on your Wenge and the closest thing I've seen similarly were mineral stains in Padauk. They never came out either so I had to replace the affected pieces in some furniture I was building. I'm sad for you because I know just how much time you have invested and it's heartbreaking to see the spot you're in.

I haven't read through this post so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned. But have you tried experimenting on a scrap piece with the same spotting issue trying a very dark water based analine dye? I'm not suggesting you attempt dyeing just the spots but all the Wenge. If that doesn't work, I believe you have no other option but to finish it with something opaque - or leave the spots and live with them.

I wish you luck,

Jim
Old 04-07-2018, 08:24 PM

I have found that most finishes will take stain give it a sealer coat of 1lb shellac and then use a quill pen to lightly with ink or stain
Old 04-08-2018, 05:51 AM

I realize this was not your plan from the start, but why not make some beautiful dark burst, or a black guitar, or one of those dark purplish brown finishes? I personally really love the looks of black.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 04-08-2018, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the ideas and we'll wishes Jim.

Nottypine, I did try covering the spots over shellac but just ended up with dark spots instead of light spots.

Frank, I think it I will be ending up with a dark back like you suggested. I have a couple other little things to try and if all else fails. .....
Travis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair