The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Binding/Purfling glue question

I have been using Tite bond 2 for all of my binding glue ups. I have had good luck with it but sometimes when using multiple wood strip purflings along with wood bindings, it can be a handful getting glue on all the pieces and getting them in place to tape them. Not to mention the mess.
I have seen that some tape the bindings and purflings in place and glue with a thin CA glue after they are taped in place.
I feel this would make it a lot easier to get good clean miters on the corners and be much less stressful when installing.
Is there a down side to using CA glue for this?
Is the CA glue bond as good or better than Tite Bond?
I would appreciate any advice,
Travis
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 AM

-rumor has it that ca may cause finish issues down the line (complaints of a green tint mostly) but i've never had any.

-it certainly is strong.

-depending upon viscosity it can gap fill as well.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the reply Arie, The discoloration to Spruce was one of my concerns. Anyone else have any experience with CA on bindings?
Old 12-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

I tried pre glueing some thin wood strips to some maple binding prior to installing. The ca was a mess and a failure. Hard to keep the edges lined up and if I used accelerator I got "chunks" in places. Tried Duco on one, but it didn't bind completely. I used LMI wood glue and found the perfect solution for me. It is just tacky enough to stay while getting the edges matched up, easy to clean up. I clamped with clothes pins, alternating sides. At installation I again used the LMI glue. Perfect fit, time to tape, easy clean up. This is my first build and I am sure others have success with other methods, but this is how I'll do it from now on.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:37 AM

I have used CA many times. I always do a few coats of shellac around the edges of the top so the CA will not penetrate to the top. Later the CA can be scraped off.

On my last one here, I taped the binding, abalone and purfling all together at the same time. I wicked thin CA in between the tape gaps. Thin CA is able to seep down and bond everything. This takes practice and know just how much CA to use, if you do too much you could have it running down inside the guitar, which is not good.
After it dried, I removed the tape and then wicked CA in the spots where the tape was.

The darker outline around the top edge of the guitar is where I did a few coats of shellac. Any CA that had gotten on to the top was easily scraped off later with a blade. My top came out perfectly clean, and the binding, abalone and purfling all tight with no gaps.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the info Brad and Jared.
Jared, I silently watched your build for your daughter. It turned out great, I bet you can't wait to get it in her hands.
Travis
Old 01-01-2016, 08:58 AM

I tried ca on several guitars and have gone back to titebond original. The trouble I had with ca was twofold first if the ca got on the tape holding the binding it was laborious to remove, the tape really toughens it up, the other and more significant problem is the visibility of the glue line in light woods (maple especially), even though the gap was super small the ca created a dark line at the bond. Obviously if you are always using dark purfling this doesn't show, but with light woods it was annoying especially where a maple end wedge mated with the maple binding.

Kent
Old 01-01-2016, 10:49 AM

Kent,
Thanks for that information, I think I will stay with Tite Bond.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

I've heard good things about this binding glue from Luthiers Mercantile.

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishi...ding-adhesives
Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I've heard good things about this binding glue from Luthiers Mercantile.

http://www.lmii.com/products/finishi...ding-adhesives
Their product information states that is for gluing plastic bindings to wood. The OP's question was regarding wood bindings and purflings.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:11 PM

As Charles has noted, there are diferent glues used when gluing different bindings.

For me,
plastic bindings - I like lmi glues
Shells - I like CA or epoxys
Wood - I like titebond

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-02-2016, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Their product information states that is for gluing plastic bindings to wood. The OP's question was regarding wood bindings and purflings.
I was referring to the "FCA" glue which says it is for either.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I was referring to the "FCA" glue which says it is for either.
Sorry, my mistake.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair