The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

View Poll Results: Which one of these two do you use and why?
Zoom H1 3 75.00%
Tascam DR-05 1 25.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Zoom H1 vs Tascam DR-03

(My bad, the poll should read DR-03 instead of DR-05)

After a morning of research, I've come to the conclusion that, for my budget, ease of use, and what I need to accomplish my recording goals, one of these two will fit nicely.

Before buying, I'd just like to get a consensus on what the folks in here are using and why? If there is another product out there comparable to these 2, fill free to choose 'Other' and please elaborate.

Thanks again, this forum, over the last 4 years, has been better than college courses!!

Jack

Last edited by leehop71; 07-31-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Jack,

The Zoom H1, H2, or H4 are wonderful products. Great sound, very easy to use, cheap, and compatable with computer editing (if so desired), storing, and sharing. I bought my H2 used for $100 and it served as my sole recording device for a year. I bought a used H4N next, and it's pretty amazing how good the sound is for the price.

You can use one or two of your own mics if you choose to buy these later, with the H4.

I gather that the Tascam would be just about the same in most respects, but I have not used their products.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jack…

Buying hand-held digital recorders in the $100 ranges is about features.

They are all going to record what you point them at. Other factors are:
  • How easy to start a recording?
  • How easy to retrieve the recording and import your recording into a computer (for editing or burning to CD etc)?
  • Can the recorder act as a USB mic to a computer
  • Portability
  • How long do batteries last?
  • Tripod socket (for mounting it on a camera tripod versus mic stand)
  • Can it be upgraded
  • Support

There may be other factors, but a simple 2 track recorder is just a point-n-shoot recorder (like a point-n-shoot recorder).

If I recall correctly the DR-03 is no longer made and was replaced with a newer model (DR-05 you originally listed). According to the reviews I read at Amazon dot com, the DR-03 was a battery eater.

I see a variety of recorders as a teacher (students bring them to lessons) and by far the Zooms are the ones which last years and years and years...

As an aside, I prefer using a 20-30 inch tall camera tripod to record with because it's handier and less 'threatening' when I put a digital recorder on a tripod in front of someone compared to a mic on a mic stand.

It's also lighter and easier to transport when I'm going elsewhere to record.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jack…

Buying hand-held digital recorders in the $100 ranges is about features.

They are all going to record what you point them at. Other factors are:
  • How easy to start a recording?
  • How easy to retrieve the recording and import your recording into a computer (for editing or burning to CD etc)?
  • Can the recorder act as a USB mic to a computer
  • Portability
  • How long do batteries last?
  • Tripod socket (for mounting it on a camera tripod versus mic stand)
  • Can it be upgraded
  • Support

There may be other factors, but a simple 2 track recorder is just a point-n-shoot recorder (like a point-n-shoot recorder).

If I recall correctly the DR-03 is no longer made and was replaced with a newer model (DR-05 you originally listed). According to the reviews I read at Amazon dot com, the DR-03 was a battery eater.

I see a variety of recorders as a teacher (students bring them to lessons) and by far the Zooms are the ones which last years and years and years...

As an aside, I prefer using a 20-30 inch tall camera tripod to record with because it's handier and less 'threatening' when I put a digital recorder on a tripod in front of someone compared to a mic on a mic stand.

It's also lighter and easier to transport when I'm going elsewhere to record.

Great review Larry!! As well as I know you from following your posts, you are well versed and a well respected opinion.

I can get a Zoom H1 on Ebay for $109 including the accessory kit with the desk tripod, which would suit my needs perfectly!

Thanks again Larry!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Hope this helps; http://www.premierguitar.com/article...rders_Reviewed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD