The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-29-2013, 06:41 AM

Default iPad & Recording

Greetings from PTProfessor!

I am a big Apple fan and was wondering what an ideal set-up might be for leveraging my iPad in order to record my "acoustic/electric" guitar and vocals.

Of course I should probably begin with Garageband, but beyond that, will I need a two-channel device ( such as the iFocusrite iTrack Solo that I saw at the Apple store)? What other hardware should I consider as well? Should I just use my dynamic mic or could I find something more portable for use?

Last, wouldn't the large file size be a major drawback for using Garageband with my iPad?

Last edited by PTProfessor; 06-29-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Auria. (I use it)

Decent condenser mic. (I'm hearing good things about the CAD M179 @$120)

Yeah, the Focusrite iTrack sounds good.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 AM

I use an Apogee MiC, http://apogeedigital.com/products/mic.php ..Works flawlessly with my IPAD and sounds phenomenal....
Old 06-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTProfessor View Post
...Last, wouldn't the large file size be a major drawback for using Garageband with my iPad?
Hi PTProf...

Recording and editing sound/music on an iPad is possible. Possible doesn't mean convenient, or easy. And I'm saying that compared to recording with a handheld device (such as a Zoom H4n, H2 etc), and editing on a computer.

High-rez recordings take up a lot of space, and once processed have to be moved and then erased to clear up space to record/edit more.

All my iPads have been 64GB; even so I decided early on I'd use other means to do remote recording and process audio, video and photos.

I use a Zoom H4n (love the look of the new H6 too) when I want to do serious remote recordings. I can use the H4n as my capture device (including full 48v phantom on AA batteries) and then transfer it to a proper DAW on a computer to edit later. And it can serve as a computer interface as well.

It has great internal mics, can take 2 XLR external mics, or ¼'' input.

Other than novelty, I have not been able to justify recording serious projects on the iPad. I prefer to use my wife's MacBook Air to edit both photos and music when we are on the road.

Doug Young has done some recordings (one in an airport in his lap while waiting to board), and I believe that was with the Apogee mic.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
I use an Apogee MiC, http://apogeedigital.com/products/mic.php ..Works flawlessly with my IPAD and sounds phenomenal....
A very intriguing mic.

Wouldn't my Blue Snowflake USB mic serve me just as well if I went the route of Garageband and the mic alone?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi PTProf...

Recording and editing sound/music on an iPad is possible. Possible doesn't mean convenient, or easy. And I'm saying that compared to recording with a handheld device (such as a Zoom H4n, H2 etc), and editing on a computer.

High-rez recordings take up a lot of space, and once processed have to be moved and then erased to clear up space to record/edit more.

All my iPads have been 64GB; even so I decided early on I'd use other means to do remote recording and process audio, video and photos.

I use a Zoom H4n (love the look of the new H6 too) when I want to do serious remote recordings. I can use the H4n as my capture device (including full 48v phantom on AA batteries) and then transfer it to a proper DAW on a computer to edit later. And it can serve as a computer interface as well.

It has great internal mics, can take 2 XLR external mics, or ¼'' input.

Other than novelty, I have not been able to justify recording serious projects on the iPad. I prefer to use my wife's MacBook Air to edit both photos and music when we are on the road.

Doug Young has done some recordings (one in an airport in his lap while waiting to board), and I believe that was with the Apogee mic.

I saw Zoom products at the Martin Guitar Owner's Club gathering. Another viable solution. Interesting.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
A very intriguing mic.

Wouldn't my Blue Snowflake USB mic serve me just as well if I went the route of Garageband and the mic alone?
IPAD is not USB...!! Although you can use it on your laptop..
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Stet. I'm an idiot! It's the antihistamines.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Stet. I'm an idiot! It's the antihistamines.
i believe there are adapters that will allow the usb mic to work with the ipad. here is a quick google search of the subject to get you started if you decide to go that route.

https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Barry...

But they make a USB adapter which if the interface (or mic) is self powered often works with iPads.

It just cannot try to draw power from the iPad.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-29-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Hi Barry...

But they make a USB adapter which if the interface (or mic) is self powered often works with iPads.

It just cannot try to draw power from the iPad.

I will look at my instruction booklet, but Im fairly certain, that I read somewhere, it will not function "Correctly" with an adapter...Ill check on it...In fact if I can find an adapter in my HUGE junk drawer, I'll try it so the op doesn't waste any money ......(I have a USB mic around here somewhere too, probably in the same drawer !!) BUt using my own rationale, thats is probably why I bought the Apogee one...
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will look at my instruction booklet, but Im fairly certain, that I read somewhere, it will not function "Correctly" with an adapter...Ill check on it...In fact if I can find an adapter in my HUGE junk drawer, I'll try it so the op doesn't waste any money ......(I have a USB mic around here somewhere too, probably in the same drawer !!) BUt using my own rationale, thats is probably why I bought the Apogee one...
Hi Barry...

Not every self-powered usb device works with an iPad, but the ones which do are all self-powered.

I saw a list (unofficial) of mics and interfaces which do work with iPads.

I have an ART USB Dual Pre which works with it. It supplies full phantom, headphone circuit, and dual Neutrik inputs (XLR or ¼''). 9V battery or power supply. I put a Snark on it for size comparison.

It was $75. It also serves as an extension preamp/mixer with no tone controls.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Although a bit more expensive, I use an Apogee Duet with my iPad and I'm very satisfied with it.

I use it with a pair of condenser microphones and Auria.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Three weeks ago I bought an iTrack Solo, a Shure SM 58 and a micro stand - I already own an iPad. I wanted to record my humble efforts on the guitar. Unfortunately the combination doesn't work together very well. I still not quite sure where the biggest "problem" is, but the level in GarageBand was way to low (doublechecked everything with different devices). As I dont want to "edit" anything, I returned the whole bundle yesterday and now I am thinking about buying a tascam d05.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Hi Barry...

Not every self-powered usb device works with an iPad, but the ones which do are all self-powered.

I saw a list (unofficial) of mics and interfaces which do work with iPads.

I have an ART USB Dual Pre which works with it. It supplies full phantom, headphone circuit, and dual Neutrik inputs (XLR or ¼''). 9V battery or power supply. I put a Snark on it for size comparison.

It was $75. It also serves as an extension preamp/mixer with no tone controls.

Just for the curious it is the adapter for the lightning (IPAD/IPHONE) back to a 30 pin will not function correctly with the mic...I am sure you are right about the self powered ones...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD