The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-18-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
Yes, I was surprised to see how close the two necks are on the backside. The real difference is what is happening on the top side. The Guild has more of a rolled edge along the length of the fretboard and a 12" radius at the first fret. Together all of these small tweaks add up to a fuller feeling neck in my hand.

Tommy
I hear you! I played an Ovation Elite for many years, and I'm trying to get in that ballpark with the neck on the custom parlor. I don't think the Ovation had a compound radius, but it was 10". So, as close as I can get to that would be sweet.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double O View Post
....I thought FB used horsehide glue?....
Andy at FB just confirmed that they have never used HHG. That confirms what the various FB dealers have told me over the years.

Tommy
Old 04-30-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I hear you! I played an Ovation Elite for many years, and I'm trying to get in that ballpark with the neck on the custom parlor. I don't think the Ovation had a compound radius, but it was 10". So, as close as I can get to that would be sweet.
I'm not sure where FB draws a line in the sand regarding neck/fretboard profiles/radiuses, but Andy at FB gave me the option of shipping my guitar to him to remove all doubt. In this particular case, I did not feel it was necessary.

Tommy
Old 04-30-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I have owned parlors from a few builders including Santa Cruz, Ryan, Collings and Brondel. They were all good but only the Brondel remains, a little B4. If you are close to DC you are welcome to try it out.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Andy at FB just confirmed that they have never used HHG. That confirms what the various FB dealers have told me over the years.

Tommy
Thanks a lot for confirming that. Not a deal breaker by any means, but good to know.

Quote:
I'm not sure where FB draws a line in the sand regarding neck/fretboard profiles/radiuses, but Andy at FB gave me the option of shipping my guitar to him to remove all doubt. In this particular case, I did not feel it was necessary.

Tommy
I invested in one of those contour gauges from StewMac (cool lil item), so now I can show FB or any luthier what I'm aiming for re. neck profile. Thanks again for the idea!

Strongly considering Slobod's waitlist (I'll have some dough by summer to drop a deposit). His work is stellar, and I have a feeling he may be more accommodating regarding neck specs. We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
I have owned parlors from a few builders including Santa Cruz, Ryan, Collings and Brondel. They were all good but only the Brondel remains, a little B4. If you are close to DC you are welcome to try it out.
Thank you kindly for the offer! No where near DC but much appreciated.

Last edited by Double O; 05-01-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:39 AM

I would highly recommend checking out Irvin Guitars.

My partner was looking for something a tad smaller than a typical small jumbo. Most parlor guitars she has tried have been hopelessly boxy and 'small' sounding.

She already owns a gorgeous Irvin SJ and loves the sound and feel.

Wayne just added a parlor design to his offering. She commissioned one with moon spruce over koa. It is superlative - so much so that I encourage her to play the parlor over the small jumbo when we perform.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-14-2022, 01:13 PM

If you are ok with going up to a OO I would recommend Jayson Bowerman. He builds a model called the Oregon Opal. He is a good dude, a phenomenal builder, and has a killer selection of woods. If you are interested I would say check out his Facebook page. He will easily fit into your budget.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend some luthiers for me to contact for a build I'd like to do in the near future. I'd prefer someone with a waiting list that isn't several years long. Budget is 14K max but would happily spend less.

The type of guitar I'm thinking of is primarily for blues. I was imagining a parlor like the Froggy Bottom P-14 with Adi top and Mahogany b/s. Venetian cutaway. 1 11/16" at the nut. Low profile neck with a compound radius (12" - 16"). If not compound, then a short radius approaching as close to 10" as possible.

Obviously, I'm considering Froggy Bottom, but I'm not sure if they would build me a guitar with neck specs like I described above. So trying to explore other options as well.

BTW, I welcome any build suggestions you may have for this blues machine. Thanks.
Froggy Bottom A or C are superb for Blues and Ragtime.

FYI I would second Jason Bowerman as a builder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop