The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 09:29 AM

Default Guitar Latch Misalignment/Adjustment?

Hello, I recently purchased a used guitar which I love—but unfortunately, the seller made what I believe to have been an honest mistake, when they forgot to close or fasten the latch in back of the case (or side/behind). Do you know if this would be risky to try & maneuver back into place one one’s own? And if so: how? Basically the little foot or piece that goes into the slot, normally, is not lined up and just sitting far enough off to the side where it doesn’t go in. Now these pictures don’t show how much different it is otherwise to the rest, but if you could compare them by feel or touch, you’d see what I mean. The reason I’m hesitant to try is that I don’t want to break it as it feels pretty flimsy to me. Thanks if you can help or suggest anything.

Okay… may have to see about uploading photos ? I’m on mobile app! If you know what I’m talking about, the little tooth, that goes into the slot, that’s about the distance it stays open, and it does latch and stay shut (so it’s locked down do to speak), only trouble is, it’s hard to see & even harder to remember so not hard to get little cuts or abrasions when handling in dry winter months, or so I’d suppose.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

How to post pictures on the AGF - all here… https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=511949

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-08-2024, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
How to post pictures on the AGF - all here… https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=511949
Thank you JayBee1404! Even with my technical improficiency, I should be able to figure that out! Although, looking through them - they don't show all that much, or aren't all that revealing. You kind of have to be able to examine/inspect it in person, I'm afraid. Those I've sought help from (like the place I bought it from) & others... don't really seem to have much of a conclusive idea, or clue. It's a cool guitar, kind of rare/unusual though. So I'd hate to dump it for that reason. But I've done so for less over the years, out of sheer foolishness of course. It is funny how some things bother us, and some do not?
Old 03-08-2024, 07:02 AM

some cases dont line up right out of the box

the MIC ones have a tendency to warp. I've had to return a few Gator cases that had this problem.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-08-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
some cases dont line up right out of the box

the MIC ones have a tendency to warp. I've had to return a few Gator cases that had this problem.
Thank you, I will see what I can do. Which reminds me of a used G&L (wooden) that came similar to which you described, only I'm pretty sure it was due to user's error (for lack of a better...). And then someone had told me about how you can twist sort of the top and bottom halves of the case as you're closing in opposite directions, or together - so say top to the left & bottom to the right - & then they will line up for you. Low & behold... however, that would not solve this case, in this instance, I'm afraid. Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2024, 09:11 AM

Take it to a luggage repair shop. They should know what to do for you.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsforlife View Post
Thank you, I will see what I can do. Which reminds me of a used G&L (wooden) that came similar to which you described, only I'm pretty sure it was due to user's error (for lack of a better...). And then someone had told me about how you can twist sort of the top and bottom halves of the case as you're closing in opposite directions, or together - so say top to the left & bottom to the right - & then they will line up for you. Low & behold... however, that would not solve this case, in this instance, I'm afraid. Thanks again!
if the top closes with no gaps before latching, the top is probably not warped

you should be able to make it fit/work

pics would help for sure

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-08-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
Take it to a luggage repair shop. They should know what to do for you.
This. Luggage repair, cobbler, some upholsterers will do the job for you. Google suitcase repair in your town.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
This. Luggage repair, cobbler, some upholsterers will do the job for you. Google suitcase repair in your town.
Thank you. I will see if I can figure out how to do them later today (I am terrible with almost all things technology - way worse, than the average senior citizen & I am middle aged) - I basically got internet / in my own home~ only a decade ago.

So the person that sent it to me, forgot to latch the back one. So it stayed open in transit. I was quite surprised it didn't just break off, given that they were so much more flimsy/fragile (light weight?) at least the portion that does the "latching," or moves & 'fastens.'

It sits just out of alignment not enough to go in (the male into female) end. Thanks. I don't see any luggage repair shop advertised in my area. But that may be something to keep in mind. Nearest major metro is 2.5 hrs drive away. Thanks again, every one!

Would really hate to get rid of this one. Smaller body, about ten years old, Adironack over Rosewood. Would prefer not to name maker so that the seller doesn't get identified. I don't believe this was done on purpose or intentionally.

As I've said, if I've had 30 acoustics in my 20 years or so of acoustics playing; this would probably be top 5. Don't know how hard a replacement case would be, given that there is no name brand, and it is slightly oversized (there are foam/padding inserts along the lower bout).

And honestly, the pictures don't show a ton, in terms of doing it justice - what I am talking about. Maybe it I get another set showing what one or some of the others all of the way closed, that might help or make a difference.

Perhaps it goes without saying: the other 3 latches close fine. And as they should. Thanks again so much!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion