The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-27-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Guitar Shop Review: Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz, CA

My wife and I spent the weekend in Santa Cruz visiting some old friends. I spent a couple hours at Sylvan Music. They carry Lowden, Santa Cruz Guitar Company and Goodall, among other brands. They had about a dozen of each of those three lines. Among the Goodalls was an all-Mahogany Grand Concert that was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played, very rich and full, with great balance and volume. The best of the SCGC's, to my ears, was a Rosewood/Sitka 00 12-fret slothead; it sounded like the best of that style of guitar...incredible bass response and very playable.

Nice shop with several hundred guitars in stock (they are not a Taylor or Martin dealer but they had some used ones, including a nice--but somewhat battered-- 1935 Martin 00-28). The people there know their guyitars and are very friendly. Only complaint (apart from no new Taylors) is that their electric room doesn't have good soundproofing so it gets loud. I recommend a visit when you're in Surf City.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 07-28-2003, 07:21 AM

I spent a happy hour there when visiting my son at UCSC. Nice place and great people. They had some cool older stuff and the prices were sane. You folks in northern CA are blessed with some good music stores. Lucky there's nothing like that here or I couldn't afford myself.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:24 AM

Go Slugs!

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification