The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-26-2003, 07:17 PM

Default Guitar kit Qoestion?

I was planing on building a stewert macdonald dread kit this winter and my dads work area is located in a section of our basement that is not insulated. It gets preety cold up here in erie during winter and in that part of the basement in particular. I have read that the ideal temp for building a guitar is anywhere between 70 and 80 degrees and 30 to 40% humidity? Would this really affect the wood at all to a major degree if I built it in winter?
Should I wait till spring or summer or should I use a space heater?

Nick

Martin D28 Dan Tyminski (Indian/Adirondack)
CA Cargo
Old 07-26-2003, 08:29 PM

I know temperature and humidity affects wood, with guitar building it's more so humidity you worry about. I've never worried about it, but I've just done ukes and a mando as acoustic instruments, which are smaller, though I don't know if that would make a difference. I made a uke for a member of the Langley Ukulele Ensemble who were in Hawaii earlier this month, and I haven't had a call from her saying her uke was having problems. I've never really heard of an optimum temp for building, but you shouldn't let it get too cold. At Northwood in the climate rooms there are de-humidifiers which you can get at like Sears or where ever to keep it at 35% humidity. A space heater would also help if it does get really cold. The cold would probably affect gluing.
Pictorial of Violin #3
Old 07-27-2003, 08:52 AM

That's nice that you have a basement with a work area in it. I live in a townhouse and am currently using my bedroom and a storage closet. I have a new job that pays good and I may be renting my sister's old bedroom and turning that into a shop. We have an exchange student live with us for the school year, so it would be about a year from now the room would be free. That year would give me a change to save up $3000.00 or so for the rest of the tools I want, and I also need to pass the 6month probationary term at my new job to make sure I am somewhat perminently working there. What tools do you have in your dad's work area?
Pictorial of Violin #3
Old 07-27-2003, 05:58 PM

I feel that it's pretty critical to have your parts up to temperature before gluing....and you will be doing a lot of gluing. There are "infra red" heat sources available...they don't really heat the air, rather just the fixtures and you in the room....this might help.

PVA glues and aliphatic resin glues(Titebond) do work better above 65F...I don't think you'll have much of a problem below that temp, except getting the glue to spread properly, and squeeze out evenly. These will be your biggest headaches in a cold room. Humidity isn't as large a concern until finishing comes up...unless of course the room is WAY too dry, which basements usually aren't.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info guys I am sure it will come in handy!

Hey Lex as far as tools go my dad used to make money as a carpenter before and during college so he has all of your basic carpentry tools. The tools that I think will come in handy that he has are a drill press, jig saw, ban saw, and a finish sprayer.Now that he is older and works as a Draftsman he does not have time to do as much. He has built a fews custom decks for people in the past few years, that is his speciality. I think I will have to buy most of the lutherie tools.

Nick

Martin D28 Dan Tyminski (Indian/Adirondack)
CA Cargo
Old 07-27-2003, 07:56 PM

I actually don't know if I will be getting my sisters old room. i told her about what I wanted to do and she doesn't like the idea, even though she doesn't live there any more. I may have to look for a place to rent, like somebodies garage or something.
Pictorial of Violin #3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification