The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Recording Setup

What type of mixer would I need with how many buses, if my set up was 2 Alesis Adats, and some outboard stuff like( Compressors, E.Q., ect. and do you all recommend any brands and models of mixers??? Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 07:13 PM

I have had some success using a simple hard disk recorder with mixer built in and all I had to buy was a preamp for mikes that creates phantom power (art makes one for about hundred bucks and the Tascam 788 which is much less than I paid two years ago (about 599) and then two monitors . You can save here but I bought good ones eventually and they start about five hundred. Then there is the CD burner but that is not necessessary if you want to export WAV files to a computer. I like the simplicity of having its own cd burner so I got it . Total investment for me was bout two grand but now that everything is so much cheaper you can get going for about fifteen hundred and have first class rig.
You can go to my web site and hear the results of my efforts .
Hope this helps

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 07-22-2003, 09:50 PM

I think your set up is way beyond mine.
I record w/ a Shure SM81 and an Audio Technica 4050.
I bought a Boss compressor stompbox that i run bass through with fantastic results. I use a Boss 1180CD to record with.
Sounds like you are getting into some pro studio stuff that is over my head though. Best of Luck!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:01 AM

Thanks for all of the responses but I would really like to get my original question answered... Could I have a four bus mixer with two adats and still have plenty of room to do other stuff? I not really interested in the computer recording stuff..
Thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 11:07 AM

What specific Alesis products are you working with?

http://www.alesis.com/products/recording/index.htm

-Kent
Old 07-23-2003, 01:19 PM

I would be working with two Alesis lx 20 adats, and various outboard affects by different companies such as, dbx ect.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:07 PM

I misunderstood. I know nothing about adats.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 07-23-2003, 02:27 PM

I'm not enough of an ADAT guru to give you a complete answer, but I assume the units provide some means of syncing the two machines up, so the two eight-tracks give you the equivalent of one 16 track.

I would think a 4-buss mixer would be plenty -- can't think of why you'd need more, unless you're trying to do surround sound. I'd imagine you'd want at least 16 inputs, one for each channel, and maybe more if you could afford it. You need at least as many mixer channels as you ever plan on recording or mixing down simultaneously. More channels let you mix, say, five mics on a drum kit down to a stereo pair before going to your multitrack, while simultaneously playing or recording on the remaining channels as well (I know, I'm stretching here, but you may be surprised how quickly you can use mixer inputs with various routings).

I couldn't make a valid recommendation for going with either an analog or digital mixer, although I would guess if the Alesis has ADAT inputs, a digital unit with ADAT I/O would be ideal, but perhaps costly.

In either case, you probably want a mixer that's serious enough to include insert jacks on all the channels, has both XLR and 1/4" TRS balanced inputs, phantom power selectable on all channels. For analog mixers, the insert jacks are generally what you use to get your channel signals over to your multitrack. Group inserts would be an added plus. You probably want at least a couple effect sends and returns for your reverb/chorus effects, etc. You'd normally run your compressor in-line, or using the insert jacks.

I'm really a 788 weanie like Stixx, but just added a Carvin 32-channel, 4-buss mixer to my setup. Waaaaay overkill for sure, but it was last years' floor model at a rediculously low price in the main Carvin showroom, so I couldn't pass it up. I'm finding more creative uses for all the channels than I would have guessed.

Good luck,

Kent
Old 07-23-2003, 02:42 PM

I have used one of these:
http://www.mackie.com/products/8bus/index.html
and this:
http://www.mackie.com/products/sr32-4vlzpro/index.html

Both in the 24 channel version both going to 2 aDAT's. You get 8 tracks per aDAT so you need a least 16 channels with direct outs. The buses are nice becasue you and "pre-mix down" things to save space on the DAT's. This isn't ideal but when you have 24 channels and only 16 tracks to play with you have to.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:54 PM

both of those Mackies would be a good choice. as long as you have direct outs (you can use inserts as direct outs...not as clean as "real"direct outs but it works fine) you'll be fine. As far as the bus goes it really just depends on what you want to do. I would like 4 would be fine. I think it's most important to have the 16 outs.

kkrauss did a good job of expaining. By the way ADAT's will sync. All you need is the synce cable. It looks liek a computer serial cable and should have come wiht your ADAT's. You can also buy the Elco connector's so you dont' have to deal with the RCA's. That's my 2 cents but it's been 5 or 6 years since I've messed with that stuff.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Gil Bailie
Old 07-23-2003, 03:10 PM

so do you all think this mixer would work well, I will want to record atleast 8 tracks at once thanks
here is the link: http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=11791????

Thanks for all the help...
Old 07-23-2003, 03:29 PM

the link is broken...

which one were you looking at?

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

-Gil Bailie
Old 07-23-2003, 03:46 PM

ok...
I got it....you have to get rid of the "????" at the end and it'll get you there.

Yes that board should work and you should be able to do 16 tracks at once. you'll have to convert from 1/4" to RCA to get from the Mackie to the ADAT's. or you can buy 2 TRS (1/4") Elco connector's... but those are a bit pricey.

All you'll need to do is plug each connection into the Mackie insert jack halfway. you'll fell one click before the cable goes in all the way. That'll act as your direct out. Then go back in the line in or XLR. To be honest I can't remember if you can have both plugged in at the same time and hear your signal coming back in from the ADAT. I don't know why you wouldn't but i know we did A LOT of moving cables back and forth and that might be why. but it's a fair trade for a good economical mixer.

now keep in mind that if you are using the insert for the direct out it's going to be difficult to use a compressor when you track as opposed to when you mix. If you need to do that like on vocals or a snare then you should be able to insert the compressor in the track and bus that channel to one of your 4 buses and if I remember right those do have direct outs.

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, I'm just trying to help you think of everything.

-Gil Bailie
Old 07-23-2003, 09:11 PM

No Insulatation taken!!!!! LOL Thanks for all the help, I am looking to put together a good project studio in my house, within this next year, and I want to have real professional quality sound or as close to it as I can get, because I know thats hard to achieve.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:24 PM

O and another question couldn't I just add the compressor and and e.q. in the mixing stage???
Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification