The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2003, 11:34 PM

Question First Time Guitar?

A friend has asked me to recommend a first guitar for his college sophomore son. The young man has musical experience in horn and key boards. He is looking to spend $200 to $300. I think I can push him up a little, but I have trouble finding a playable instrument under a $1000. I know they are out there, I just don't know what they are. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark
Old 07-22-2003, 11:36 PM

theres the Taylor 110, and theres ovations, Alvarez (i got mine w/ case for $260, enclosed tuners, solid sitka top, great sound), takamines, deans..... just find what you think is best for the money.
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 07-23-2003, 12:33 AM

I would go for the Big Baby, the 110, or check out some of the Seagulls. Very good sound and playability there.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:18 AM

Seagull S6 or S6+. I owned several Seagulls (6 and 12 strings) before I was able to step up to Martin and Taylor. I was very happy for that price range, and you should be able to get an S6 for about $250 or less. I personally think it's a good deal for that much $$$.
PS. I always had the action lowered on mine, they seem to come out of the factory a tad on the high side for my taste.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:42 AM

Default Starter guitar...

My first "real" guitar was a lower end Yamaha (don't recall the actual model) that at the time was WAY cool for me! My point is that for the beginner, playability is much more of a relative thing than it is later on in your playing experience. I was just thrilled to have a guitar that wasn't a hand-me-down... I learned on it, and after some time I moved up to something better. It would be great to have a $1000 budget for a beginner guitar (sheesh!), but both of my kids got in for somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 (many do with MUCH less)... and it's working for them... for now. Good luck!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 07-23-2003, 10:42 AM

I hear good things from owners of Epiphones. Tough guitars with classic Gibson appearances.

On a more general note, the manufacturing fit and finish of low end models has improved tremendously in the last few decades. Probably due to computerization. Anyway, low-cost guitars from most manufacturers are surprisingly playable. You don't have the solid woods, but you do have an instrument with a smooth, straight neck, decent intonation, and decent string height.
1990's? Yamaha Classical
1970's? Ventura 5-string banjo
1940's? Tonemaster lap steel

Last edited by flatpicknut; 07-23-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:38 AM

I would recommend looking at some of the newer Alvarez models. I played one the other day that was reasonable in price, and all solid wood. I don't own one, but only because I save all my music money for that next Taylor. Okay, I've got it bad (TAS that is).

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 07-23-2003, 07:32 PM

Don't just shop for a name. I just picked up a no-name Chinese for $60 that sounds good enough to be compared with my Sigma. Completely playable, even though I'll go camping with it.

Let your ears tell you what sounds good, not the name on the headstock or the piece of paper in the soundhole.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It gives me a place to start. I would normally go and use my ears, but my friend wanted some suggestions. I'll try and get him to go with me to the local music store and test some of the suggestions, but it's an investment of time he may not want to make. He'd much rather just know what to buy and get it over with. He's not a player and doesn't understand how anyone can spend a day testing guitars.

Mark
Old 07-24-2003, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjs1214

He's not a player and doesn't understand how anyone can spend a day testing guitars.

Mark
Just a day?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification