The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Nice colourful bit of wenge you bought Printer, price?

Jim
Old 09-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Nice colourful bit of wenge you bought Printer, price?

Jim
With shipping about $75 US. Shipping was more than the wood. Now I need to decide what kind of top it will get.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM

That is really good value (as wenge tend to be), look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Jim
Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
That is really good value (as wenge tend to be), look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Jim
Hope I can get it bent with no issues, after that I will take my time with it. I still have some oak ready to go as my next build so I will have a lot of time to decide what I want to do with it. I ordered some European spruce, might go with the wenge.

Just did the truss rod slot and used a round nose bit , the router rides up against the steel plate. Next up is the mortise and tenon joint.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Been a busy day. I had some oak that curled on me, I decided to try another one of my ideas. Misted the wood down and then iron it. Worked fairly well.

I set up my jig to router the tenon joint in the neck. Went smoothly but kind of getting to feel like doing four guitars at the same time really is a lot of work.

Take a quick pass to level it out and then use a pattern bit to do the joint.

Really glad that is done.

I also reworked my jig to do the mortise joint on the body. I had it set up to use the router bit in a collar but the router I have had some plat in the holder so I wanted to use the pattern bit to do it also. Made it sightly smaller than the tenon so a quick swipe with the file will give a good tight joint. I made the jig with an adjustable stop to use on different size necks. I also made it so the body was flipped around as it would be easier lining up the body and clamping it. Cut one and tried the fit with the tenon. That is when I noticed a slight problem.

Decided to call it a day.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:59 PM

I really like these clamps, shame the place I bought them from rarely brings them in. Took off the end and stuck it through the hole in the drill base. Doing a furniture barrel nut (probably not the right name) bolt on neck.

Fixed up the heal end of the guitar, put a piece of mahogany in there and capped it off with pine. Decided to sand down the body. Noticed a crack in the side.

Could cut into the inner wall (this one has a inner and outer side wall) and fix it but why bother? It was the set of sides I was not going to use, also it is the one with the poor tap tone. Just gave the crack a shot of CA and calling it good enough. Not putting any binding on this one, might do a quickie paint job, might not.

Already itching to use some of the hardwood sets I have and need to bend the sides outside. We do not have many more warm days here and going to have to start thinking of cleaning up the garage for winter, along with some work that needs to be done on the car. If I had more time I might spend more effort into these, we'll see how it goes.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:28 PM

For as bad as I thought it would turn out, not too bad.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cut one and tried the fit with the tenon. That is when I noticed a slight problem.

Decided to call it a day.
That's one way to describe it. Your posts are very educational and entertaining.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
That's one way to describe it. Your posts are very educational and entertaining.
Yeah, don't do it this way and glad I am not the only one laughing at myself.

Speaking of not doing something, this wood is tough stuff. Go at it from the wrong direction and it tears out, a rasp is too course, it loads up a file and you have to clean out the teeth. Never going to use it for a neck again. And how many of these was I going to make? Should have tried one first.

As far as I got before my arms gave out.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:51 PM

Some of that protein drink and three more necks finished then Hollywood will be calling you for body double parts. Selangan Batu makes nice floor joists

Jim
Old 09-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Some of that protein drink and three more necks finished then Hollywood will be calling you for body double parts. Selangan Batu makes nice floor joists

Jim
I can see it making good floor joists.

How about this for the body? Going to have to scuff up the fretboard and bridge some.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:27 PM

Boy it is tough working on these pine guitars when you get some new wood in. Some Padauk, Jatoba and Bubinga with Sitka tops. And probably will not get to them till next year.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Meant to post this picture right after the other but got interrupted and one thing after another...

The bridge actually looks big and blocky, well because it is big and blocky. Needs to be shaved down, been debating on cutting off some of the round bit on the bottom and squaring it off more like a pyramid bridge but without the pyramid. Still not sure and it is hanging me up. Not like I don't have other work to do though.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:36 PM

Been busy but guitar not much further. I was going to make a jig to do the bridges in but got sidetracked with a couple other projects along with finally tidying up the place. Part of that was in putting up a rack to hold my clamps. I also was building a binding jig, just have to build the offset adjustment pin mechanism. That does not require me being out in the garage so it will wait.

I also built a cabinet for my metal bandsaw to sit on. I also cut a larger table for it and want to tie it in with the base to make it more stable. I am also going to get some vapor barrier and enclose the lower part of the shelving behind the saw. I want to make it my environmental chamber to keep my guitar wood around 50% humidity. We sometimes go down to -40 here in the winter and unless you turn down the humidity you get water condensed on the windows. One year measured about 5% humidity in the house, great for static, where is that cat?

I also want to use the middle shelf to do much of the dust generating work and hook up a dust collector for it. If I need to I can always run out to the garage to use the table saw, a bit nippy but if you are not out there long not too bad. So not too much work on guitars but on the process in making them.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Going to need some bracing stock for the winter builds. I have been buying spruce from radio controlled aircraft hobby shops but it is kind of expensive and only a few sticks in the pile have the right grain orientation. Last year I picked up some spruce from the lumber yard, I was particularly picky about it. Even with the waste that will go with cutting off the non-quartered sections I should be good for a few guitars.

On the 'let's spend some real money pile', four Adirondack tops arrived in the mail today. Wanted to make a deal for three tops and the seller countered with a good price for four. Ended up being less than they normally go for and shipping was included.

Building a jig but it will take me a few more days to get it completed. As a sneak peak,

Last edited by printer2; 10-09-2014 at 02:08 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair