The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 AM

Default Which budget metal body resonator?

Looking for a metal body resonator to play with. I'd like it to sound decent, but I'm not forking out the money for a national or dobro or whatever just to play around. I am set on a metal body, biscuit style bridge. I'm looking at what has the best sound that I can get for $400 and under.

The 3 I'm looking at are the Fender FR48 (which can be had used for around xxx on ebay), the Regal RC-2 (found one used with upgraded National cone and pickup installed for xxx), and a used Dean Chrome S (xxx).

What do ya'll think?

2008 Martin 0000 Cherry Custom
2003 Gibson J-45 (For Sale)
2000 Martin SWOM
2008 Michael Kelly Bayou Resonator

Last edited by cotten; 04-04-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 AM

Unfortunately I've never played a budget reso out of the box that really rang my bell, but of those three I probably consider the Regal. I actually played both a metal Fender and a Dean "Chrome G" at my local shop a couple of years ago and I took some notes - looking back I see the following

"The Fender played like my Duolian (metal) Dobro, but without the real punchy sound (a different cone might have helped that), had some rattles. Narrow 14 fret neck, not friendly for slide"

"Dean "Chrome G" - metal bodied (steel), biscuit, w/ lipstick pickup and maybe something else -it has three pots (didn't plug in), narrow neck 14 frets clear. I wanted to like this one - metal bodied slot head, but the neck just didn't feel right (for some reason it felt too long - I was constantly about a half a fret up the neck if I didn't look at the position markers). Tuned to open G and played some raunchy bottleneck - really had trouble getting much of it. Action was good, strings felt "slow" (maybe I'm too used to the Elixers). The first string didn't ring out like it should but I think finger picks would have helped that. Sustain was medium, the harmonic died out after about 4 notes. The combination of chunky gold tuners, gold knobs on the pots, mother of pearl headstock overlay and fret markers, and the chrome body looked garish - YMMV. MSLP $xxx, hangtag price $xxx."

So, neither of those impressed me much, eh?

Most inexpensive reso's have pretty poor cones and a upgrade to a Quarterman or NRP (particularly the new one) is worthwhile. Many have necks that are really hard to play slide on (14 fretters in particular), but a lot can be down with the proper setup. Of the three you mention I would consider the Regal, only because it sounds like the PO has made some of the improvements. (btw - I run a Quarterman in my spider, a hot rod NRP and carbon fiber biscuit in my Duolian).

Last thing to consider would be a new Republic or a Goldtone - in both cases Asian bodies with cone and setup upgrades - a little more than you have budgeted, but a lot more guitar.

Last edited by cotten; 04-04-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM

This guy makes some real nice resonators and is very helpful. http://www.libertyguitars.com/models.htm. You can get specific upgrades on cones and such.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM

If you can get an RC-2 with National cone and pickup for $xxx, I'd jump on it!

I bought one new, intending to throw a National cone in it, but the out-of-the-box cone is good enough that I've never got around to the upgrade. Mine has been on stage many times in the year I've had it, and it is always a pleasure to play.

- mike

Playing a resonator guitar is kind of like putting strings on a chrome-plated garbage can, then hitting it with a baseball bat - only it usually doesn't sound as good as that.

Last edited by cotten; 04-04-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: AGF Rule 2 in FAQ: no guitar price discussion. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

I tried a Johnston in a shop last week and wasn't impressed at all....
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM

I'd go with a Republic. They're made in Asia but they already have a bone nut, maple/ebony bridge insert and only have two mushroom posts, so the only mod would be National cones if you didn't like the Continentals.

None of these imports are a made to the quality of a National but my Republic squareneck tricone sounds pretty good and will definitely suffice until I can afford a National.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Maybe this would work for you?

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/50U-1887.htm

No connection to the shop... other than having spent a "boat-load" of money there over the years... and having received excellent guitars, gear, & service in return!

All the best!
Bill
Old 04-04-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Maybe this would work for you?

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/50U-1887.htm

No connection to the shop... other than having spent a "boat-load" of money there over the years... and having received excellent guitars, gear, & service in return!

All the best!
Bill
Yeah, thats the exact Dean I was referring to, but I dont know anything about Dean resonators, or Dean guitars for that matter. And I have heard mostly bad things about the Fender.

The Regal is a 2001, its tuners have been upgraded to Grovers, comes with a hard case, and a highlander pickup (which I dont need), along with a National cone upgrade. While all this sounds great, its really more involved than something I just wanted to "play around" with. The problem with the Regal is that he wants $65 to ship. My goal was to find something under $400, shipping included.

Anybody played the wood bodied Michael Kelly's and have an opinion? I know they're wood bodied and have spider bridges, but I can get one at a great price. I want it for blues - NOT bluegrass (no offense to you bluegrass players! ) I really want a metal body, but I thought I'd ask opinions to satisfy my curiosity.

2000 Martin SWOM
Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 PM

You might also what to check out the Rogues at Musician's Friend. I have the wood bodied Triolian, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's no National, but it gets the job done and sounds pretty good to me. They make a metal bodied version in your price range. And, if you don't like it you can send it back .
Old 04-05-2008, 01:32 PM

I liked the the Liberty's but I think they're over my budget. Nobody has played a Michael Kelly or the Dean Chrome S?

2000 Martin SWOM
Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig140 View Post
Anybody played the wood bodied Michael Kelly's and have an opinion? I know they're wood bodied and have spider bridges, but I can get one at a great price. I want it for blues - NOT bluegrass (no offense to you bluegrass players! ) I really want a metal body, but I thought I'd ask opinions to satisfy my curiosity.

I play bottleneck blues on my spider bridge type 27 - it has the sweet sound that you would expect of a spider (completely different than the Duolian). If you are curious there is a crappy clip under my folder at the Acoustic Music section of the HCAG Annex. Most wood spiders will be wider flatter 12 fret necks - to me that is desirable for slide, not for fretted (my 27 intonates terribly so I don't do a lot of fretted play on it, the Duolian is somewhat better). I also go back and forth with the 27 and a nut extender when I want to noodle around with lap style.

Also remember that different metal bodies sound different - bell brass ("German silver") vs steel, and like 12 fret acoustics, the longer upper bout seems to make a difference with these critters also.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig140 View Post

i have a michael kelly bijuo"e"....it has a neck humbucker and an internal transducer type pick up that are balance with a nob on the face along with volume control...i love mine..very sweet and very loud with or without electronics. i play "spanish style" and mostly blues, fretted and both fingerstyle and picked. it keeps up nicely with no amplification. they are extremely well built , sturdy and beautifully finished.
i recently read on a resonator site that black resonators just sound better in general....hhhmmmm,....interesting, if curious observation but, mine is black and does sound better than many others i played in the selection process so,..????
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM

I've read positive comments about the Galveston-brand resos, but it's possible they're relabelled versions of some brands already mentioned.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 PM

I "tweeked" my Fender f48 . . . wider nut, removed a mushroom, new ebony/maple saddle and added a resonator p/u. Set up for slide or standard, I personally feel it's a great little resonator for the price.

I doubt you'd find much difference between any of the imported resonators . . .
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat
Old 04-07-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
If you are curious there is a crappy clip under my folder at the Acoustic Music section of the HCAG Annex.
Thanks! I'll definitely check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
i have a michael kelly bijuo"e"....it has a neck humbucker and an internal transducer type pick up that are balance with a nob on the face along with volume control...i love mine..very sweet and very loud with or without electronics. i play "spanish style" and mostly blues, fretted and both fingerstyle and picked. it keeps up nicely with no amplification. they are extremely well built , sturdy and beautifully finished.
i recently read on a resonator site that black resonators just sound better in general....hhhmmmm,....interesting, if curious observation but, mine is black and does sound better than many others i played in the selection process so,..????
I'm really considering those. I'm not sure that, with my inexperience in resonators and that I only want to "play around" with one, bridge type will matter much. I like the looks of the Michael Kelly. I wish the regular Bayou had F holes instead of screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
I doubt you'd find much difference between any of the imported resonators . . .
I noticed you have both a Fender and a Regal resonator. Did you find the quality to be similar? (BTW, that's a seriously impressive list of guitars you have there - from the Gibson SJ, to the Guild D55 to the Silvertone Archtop to the sunburst 814ce - all on my "hopefully one day" list!)

2000 Martin SWOM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments