The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 AM

I'm grateful for all the great advice!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

I don't believe anyone has mentioned this yet, but, when I first picked up a mandolin after playing guitar for 25 years, I found the fact that they are tuned to a perfect 5th made it very intuitive and extremly easy to learn. I actually was doing leads the first day. So, go for it, lots of fun.

Also, remember that all the strings are doubled which can make these things a real handful, so, when choosing your first mandolin, I suggest you look for comfort to make the transition easier.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM

consider also the "Big Muddy" or "Mid-Missouri" mandolins. Same company, but renamed to the former last year. Simple, all solid wood, American-made and great mandolins. New in your price range and if you upgrade to a carved-top mandolin, you'll likely keep it as a backup for life. There are some real fans of these mandolins out there - for good reason!

Go to www.mandolincafe.com (second or third mention and good advice).

f-d
Old 01-30-2008, 12:46 AM

Big Muddy, Eastman, Kentucky, Morgan Monroe all make decent entry mandos. I think Eastman is the class of the entry league but heck I played a cheap *** Montana the other day that would be OK to start.

If you have a friend that plays mando and isn't in the $3K starter crowd they can help you find a reasonable starter.

Dix Bruce has a starter mando book from Mel Bay thats eight bucks with a CD. That's a great starting point. If you learn three movable chord forms, major, seventh and minor, you can play in any key at will without even considering a capo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments