The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 PM
In The Pocket

Default Guitar/Banjo

Does anyone have one these hybrid banjos strung and tuned like a 6 string guitar? I was thinking this instrument would be fun. Dean makes a pretty cheap one... Are they any good? Are they worth it? Any sound clips out there?

Thanks,

Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 PM

I have a Deering Boston 6-string banjo. I love it/ I had a 5-string banjo for years but was always intimidated by the different chord structures and the completely different picking cadence. I use it to make an authentic sounding banjo part with the chord and picking structures I am already good at.

Bigsbee
Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Sublime/Ridiculous...

Oh wait, you're talking about a banjitar. Seen a few, though only one good one.

I was plunking around on a five string at the shop the other day. Strings 2-4 are tuned like a guitar so I can flat pick a little. If tuned the top string to E I could play a lot more. Either way it would be a form of plectrum banjo (plectrum being a fancy name for a pick).
Old 08-24-2007, 05:17 AM

i have a deering d-6.it is nice for certain kinds of music.it is always a croud pleaser. GN
Old 08-24-2007, 05:36 AM

...yup, the Deering make a rather good one, they even make a (gasp) 12-string banjitar!...yikes!

In all honesty, I'd stay away from the Dean....

"I like pigs. Cats look down on us, dogs look up to us, pigs treat us as equals" Winston Churchill

Ovation Balladeer S771 6-string
Ovation Balladeer 6751 12-string
Yamaha FG 730S
Manuel Rodriguez C1
Washburn B-14 banjo
Old 08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
In The Pocket

I read some bad reviews about the Dean too. I will check out the Deering D-6. No one else having fun with these hybrids?

Thanks, Devin
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 08-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Look at www.mervyndavis.com for something different.

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:53 PM

I've owned one and played a couple others. I owned the Tyler Mountain Banjitar for a few months and then sold it on eBay. I also owned a five string that I tuned like a guitar. What I've discovered is this: if you want something for "fun", the Dean or whatever other $200-$300 range banjitar (once set up correctly) will probably serve your purposes for a little while. What I didn't like about the one I had was that the strings were very close together and trickier to pick, it barely stayed in tune, and the tone of the bass strings were more "resonator sounding" verses "banjo sounding."

If you're looking for something to use for performance or recording, you'll need to step up in price. I've heard great things about the Deering ones, but they're not cheap. Gold Tone makes a few different grades of six string banjos, which will probably be my next purchase.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:27 PM

A pickin' buddy of mine bought a Dean and took it back in less than a week. He played it and he listened to me play it; neither of us liked it. I think the basic problem with it is that the pot/rim/whatever-it's-called is made of metal rather than wood. That's just a tone killer.

Don Smith
Old 08-25-2007, 09:22 PM
In The Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkitch View Post
Look at www.mervyndavis.com for something different.
Now those are different- pretty cool stuff...

- Devin
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 08-27-2007, 04:18 PM
In The Pocket

I have heard that chords can be a bit muddy sounding on these instruments... Especially on the bottom end. I would think that using the Nashville tuning/string set up on a six string banjitar would be the way to go for clarity and a good banjo sound. Has anyone tried this?

- Devin
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments