The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-13-2021, 06:38 PM

I worked 30 yrs in LE and always said if I had to work either because I was bored or had to supplement income after retiring I wouldnt retire.Been out for almost 8 yrs and never even gave a thought to working again.People used to ask "but dont you get bored" and I say, "if I'm bored that just means its nap time".Good luck with your retirement,enjoy it while you can.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I don't know.. you guys mostly seem like high people . I was mostly installing HVAC and on call repair guy. Retail isn't something i don't think i can deal with. The HVAC work is very physical and I just can't do it in a timely manner anymore,haven't been in 10 years. but i think i'll be good with the state pension and IRA and SS. But I don't wanna sit here all day playing guitar ... just want something ... enjoyable... hmmm.

Hey Eyesore,
High people? Like fancy?

I agree with you. I’d have to fall on the sword before I took a retail job unless it was a very,very special position- like working at Dream Guitars that has a “by appointment only” policy.

Some folks have mentioned volunteering and being of a service to your community. I think that’s something to consider. Can you turn an enjoyable hobby like guitar/music in to part time position where you could do an after school music program/ guitar centric class for at risk youth? Or for any youth for that matter. Just a thought.

Or maybe pairing up with your local Habitat for Humanity chapter in conjunction with the local trade school/ junior college you could help kids learn to do what you have done. Teach them a skill without having to actually do back breaking, physical labor.

Congratulations to you on getting to this place in life. You’ve worked hard. You deserve to relax and enjoy yourself no matter what you end up doing.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:18 PM

hi TRose... sorry I meant" high tech" people ,not high people[I m cracking up right now!!] I for sure am not high tech!! [dumber everyday!]anyway ; I forgot about Habitat for Humanity. I was really into Musicians On Call ;weekly ,[playing for patients in hospitals] but obviously that's not happening.. so when the time comes I will look into HFH.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:15 PM

Likely retirement in 2 to 3 years, a few years before my wife is eligible. The plan is to reduce my music lesson workload to maybe a day or two, maybe enough to pay for the vehicle expenses, groceries, or some other ongoing financial concern. I'll solicit my accountant's advice. I've often done some carpentry on the side as well, so that's a possibility.

Some charity work kind of appeals to me, food bank, homeless shelter, driver for the cancer society, that sort of thing.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I was all set to go into full retirement from my job and I was planning on getting a part-time job doing whatever to get me out of the house a couple of days

But my boss made me an offer to stay on part-time with reduced hours. I accepted. In a way I'm glad I did because I keep my seniority, but then I still have the work that was driving my bp up,

So we'll see how it goes. 4 days during the two busy seasons, no late hours or Saturdays and a couple of days a week in off peak months.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

The problem I had working part time was that employers seem to think that because you are drawing a retirement income they don't need to pay you much. I mean, we tell them we are just looking to get out of the house a few days a week. But they want to put you on a schedule and expect you to show up on time. To me a big part of retirement is being spontaneous about things and that's hard to do on a schedule. I t just wore on me when I was having a good time with someone or doing something and then had to say, this is fun, but I need to get to work, knowing quite well that I didn't really need to work.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-14-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
They want to put you on a schedule and expect you to show up on time.
That to me was what became work. Screw it .... I'm retired

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-14-2021, 09:39 AM

I just retired in December after 40+ years in business. At some point down the road I may get involved in volunteer work, but not right now.

For the time being I don't want to be involved in anything where I have to be somewhere at a specific time on a specific day. Had enough of that.

For now I want to be free to do anything I want anytime I want.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I just retired in December after 40+ years in business. At some point down the road I may get involved in volunteer work, but not right now.

For the time being I don't want to be involved in anything where I have to be somewhere at a specific time on a specific day. Had enough of that.

For now I want to be free to do anything I want anytime I want.
That is exactly why I haven't looked for any part time work in the past 5 years. When I worked part time after retirement, I always resented having to wake up to an alarm and adjust to a fixed schedule. I love waking up when my body says I've had enough sleep and doing what I want, when I want to do it. The only schedule I want to have is the one I set.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Eyesore--I have a brother who is in HVAC. He used to live in a marina and was in high demand keeping the refrigeration and AC systems in good repair on his friends' boats. BTW, BOAT stands for "break out another thousand", so he found the pay pretty good even working for buddies. He charged a lot less than the marina and still did fine. So if you are anywhere near the water this could be something to occupy as much or as little time as you like, and pay better than retail or ride share driving.

He is also looking to retire from his full time job, and move south. He is targeting resort areas with properties that need someone to manage their HVAC systems. He has had several interviews and was ready to commit to the move when the thing we can't talk about arrived in March......

Good luck, and congratulations!
Old 01-14-2021, 02:57 PM

I've got a number of years before I'll be able to retire - turning 54 this month.

I had thought about teaching, either as a part time after retirement, or as a glide path into retirement. In order to try it out while still employed at my full time gig, I put my name in the adjunct faculty hat at the local community college. I started teaching last fall.

There were some extra challenges, like the current situation, plus really short notice when they needed me. It also turned out to be way more time consuming than I intended for a part time job while still employed. The extra money was nice and some of the feedback was rewarding.

I'm still figuring out whether I want to do this - meanwhile spring semester starts next week, and yes I'm teaching.

The demand is there for skilled trades and technology teaching, whether CC or trade schools. The money is OK, passing on your knowledge is rewarding. I'd recommend looking into it.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:08 PM

ii don't think i'll give up the HVAC business for good [pick and choose i guess]. so i will have that from time to time.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:13 PM

I'm retiring at the end of June of this year. I'm currently the Department Chair of my department at our Community College. I will also be moving to the other end of the state but am contemplating teaching one class online. I don't yet know if that's what the school will want but if they ask, I'll probably say yes. My wife has been retired 12 years and is very happy I'll be retired too but thought teaching that one class would be good for me.

Not sure how that fits into the discussion but though I'd toss it in.

Best,
PJ
Old 01-16-2021, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I retired when I turned 67. I just turned 71 and after four years of chillin’ I’m thinking seriously about doing something charitable with my time.
We don’t need the money and we have a good life and everything we wanted.
I would point out that most of our gigs have been charitable work so you're already on track!
Old 01-16-2021, 02:32 PM

I had planned to teach guitar and ukulele more often to solo students and small groups, but recent times have shut that sideline down. Now I'm not sure when retirement time comes in a couple of years. Many of my clients will be at a loss to replace my particular technical specialty and don't want me to retire - some tell me that I cannot retire. I do have an exit strategy.....

Perhaps I will yield and finally accept an invitation to play in church music group. Right now learning new tunes every week is WAY more work and energy than I can afford to invest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic