The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-04-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Anybody into making Kefir and or cultured...

vegetables/sauerkraut?
Old 01-05-2021, 03:43 AM

If you mean pickled vegetables, giardiniera is easy and kind of fun to make, and it’s very tasty. I made a batch a year or two ago and the results were outstanding (as in, "Why haven't I tried this before?")

Kimchi is another that I like a lot, but I’m not sure I’ll ever try making it.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:33 AM

Default fermented vegetables

I've tried pickles and salsa but have decided to concentrate on sauerkraut. Sauerkraut is the easiest for me and provides all the beneficial "bugs". Cabbage, salt and time.

I've invested in the proper sized glass bottles and venting lids. I shred 2 heads of cabbage every 2 weeks and ferment it for 3 weeks. This yields 3 quarts and stores great in the fridge. All the equipment and recipes are available online. Make sure you use the proper salt. 2 weeks fermentation works ok but I find 3 makes a more tangy batch. A very fun hobby and not complicated.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:23 PM

I've made sauerkraut - it usually comes out fine, but sometimes it gets slimy! And it does smell up where ever you are storing it.
We've made kombucha in the past, but it gets really strong if you let it go too long.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Years ago I made kefir. I'd been commiserating with a colleague about our chemo treatments and she said "You gotta be making your own kefir..." and slipped me a couple small bags of "special starter grains". Globs of something.

I have to say, they worked for making a good beverage. After a few years I started traveling again and just got out of the habit.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-06-2021, 08:31 AM

Default slimy sauerkraut

I had a slimy batch and adjusted the salt during the fermentation time. More salt 2tbs for 2 shredded heads. There is definitely a stink during the fermentation process. It is the gas being released the reason for venting lids. Once in the fridge with a tight lid no more stink.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I've fermented a variety of veggies and have found sauerkraut to be the most successful (for me). I make it in a crock with a plate on top of the cabbage and a kitchen towel over the top of the crock until I move it to the fridge. I have found that my best sauerkraut has been the batches made with the large kraut cabbage variety. I spice it with caraway and dill seeds and juniper berries. I usually put it into the fridge after about a week as I prefer a lighter ferment. I didn't make any this fall and am missing having it around.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:47 PM

My wife nor her mom make kefir, but they make yogurt, some cheeses, and vegetables.

A friend from college turned his hobby into a regional firm that makes fermented and pickled foods.

The stuff from all of them is great.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:02 PM

I started making milk Kefir about 5 months ago, and really liked it, especially when mixed with fruit (think smoothy). Unfortunately my stomach does not - it gave me the worst gas. My wife still makes and drinks it.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I make sauerkraut and sour dough bread. Also kept a jar of milk Kefir going for a couple years. Did quite a bit of beer making in the past also.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:20 AM

What do most of you use to shred cabbage? I used to make about 2.5 gal. of sauerkraut with a bit of shredded carrots and used a food processor for the shredding, but it was too much work and I just do veggies and kefir now. Must be an easier and less messy way.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:36 AM

My operation is so small (2 batches) per month probably ends up as 6 quarts. To shred or more like cut I use a flexible cutting pad and a sharp Chefs Knife. I actually like some of the larger chunks once fermented. With a large funnel and bending the cutting pad the cut cabbage slides into the bottle fairly easy.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
My operation is so small (2 batches) per month probably ends up as 6 quarts. To shred or more like cut I use a flexible cutting pad and a sharp Chefs Knife. I actually like some of the larger chunks once fermented. With a large funnel and bending the cutting pad the cut cabbage slides into the bottle fairly easy.
Thanks for the thoughts rsay777. I now have a gal. jug with vents that I use for culturing veggies that will work nicely for cabbage, and I have seen things on line that will make shredding by hand easier.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I make about 20-30 lbs a year. Used a mandolin for a couple years but finally bought a kraut slicer from Raw Rutes which is really fast and easy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic