The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-14-2021, 09:40 AM

Default Unemployment benefits help please.

I injured my thumb back in August and then started a new job in November which requires very much physical repetition. After working with no problems since then, 2 days ago my thumb joint swelled up and was causing me pain. If I step down from my job because of the pain, will I be able to collect unemployment benefits while looking for a less physical demanding job? Fwiw, I would likely be laid off in 2 weeks time or put on an overnight shift (which I won't do).
Thanks for any information.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:45 AM
Musical minimalist

I'm thinking this is a question best brought up to the agency specific to your state.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Much depends on where you live. Typically you cannot collect unemployment if you resign voluntarily. But you may have a worker's compensation claim. Find yourself a local attorney who does this kind of work, they are all over the internet. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:08 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCtodd71 View Post
I injured my thumb back in August and then started a new job in November which requires very much physical repetition. After working with no problems since then, 2 days ago my thumb joint swelled up and was causing me pain. If I step down from my job because of the pain, will I be able to collect unemployment benefits while looking for a less physical demanding job? Fwiw, I would likely be laid off in 2 weeks time or put on an overnight shift (which I won't do).
Thanks for any information.
That's a disability claim, not unemployment. (I posted before reading Bob's post above)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:03 AM

Unemployment laws vary by state, but in general unemployment insurance is for workers who have been let go through no fault of their own--e.g. laid off, company goes out of business, etc. So if you are laid off in two weeks, you probably would be able to collect unemployment.

Voluntarily leaving (quitting or resigning) or being let go for cause (fired) usually does not qualify for unemployment benefits.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 AM

Doesn't a repetitive motion injury at work fall under OSHA? If so, then your employer is obligated to take measures to remedy the situation. So rather than quitting your job, ask your employer to remedy the situation. After that your pain might go away (hopefully) and you get to keep your job.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it is worth exploring.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

You can't just quit and say it hurts to do that job so pay me unemployment compensation. You have to go to your employer and start the process along with going to a doctor to document the issues. It will be a long drawn out process. They will probably try braces and look at the option of switching hands and on and on. In the mean time you will be required to work using these ideas. If they change your shift and you quit well then you quit no and there will be no compensation. Contrary to urban myths it's not easy to get workmans comp without proving you should have it. Though allot of people like to protect their pride by claiming they screwed the company and didn't deserve it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic