The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM

Default For carbon fibre acoustic guitar owners—wood top for looks?

Do you prefer a carbon fibre look or a wood veneer?

I’m about to order an Emerald Balor bass and have the option of a royal ebony top. I’m torn as to whether to go for the wood, or a black or red top would look better. I’ve seen the red in person and it’s beautiful and subtle.

The wood top is more ornate.

It would look a bit like this but of course it would be a bass.

I mostly perform on electric but if I used this, it would be in a Jazz or avant-garde setting.
, or solo.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM

Definitely doesn't float my boat but to each there own, if you like it, get it. I always wondered why carbon guitars were so industrial looking though. I guess this thread answers a question I always had in the back of my mind as to why they were always grey or black.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

The wood top has an interesting look but if I were to get a carbon fiber guitar, I'd just go with the look of carbon fiber. Let it be what it is.

Interestingly, that carbon fiber look has its own cachet these days, with many cars having carbon fiber accents on both the interior and exterior as an upgrade. It costs more than wood trim in some cases. On some more modest cars, I've even seen what is essentially faux carbon fiber -- material that mimics the look but isn't actually carbon fiber. So there's nothing down-scale about the look of honest-to-real carbon fiber in the eyes of many consumers these days.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

I own a Rainsong P-12 which is primarily my travel guitar that can literally go anywhere with no worries. It is an outstanding parlor guitar that IMO is as good as any parlor guitar built from wood because it has it's own distinct tone which many describe as clear and articulate.

I like both the clear CF look and if you don't like that, order it painted (just like they do electric guitars). My Rainsong has what is called a tobacco finish that is really a beautiful golden reddish brown. Not a fan of carbon guitars with the wood veneers. My knee-jerk reaction is the wood veneer may compromise the tonal response of the soundboard but I'm sure the builder probably compensates.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 05-17-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:58 AM

I have a RainSong Concert OM, and I love the way the carbon fiber top looks. If I were getting an Emerald, I'd stay with the carbon fiber top rather than a veneer. But I don't think there's anything wrong with the veneers. They're beautiful. I think I'd just rather a guitar of mine look like what it is.

I'd probably get green, though.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Carbon fibre body with a cedar top.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I love the Emerald woody tops (generally speaking) but each one is so different and there are ones I love, some I just like and some I don't care for. So if price is not an issue (there is a cost bump for woody tops), and there is a veneer you are particularly fond of then go for it. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I tend to prefer the cocobolo and ziricote tops. Pau fero was also nice. I was not a big fan of the ebony you posted though.

I will add this: I've owned a lot of really nice, really beautiful wood guitars with figured woods, beautiful inlays, interesting designs and no one every bothered to make a single comment on them when I played them out in public until I got my X20 woody. Every time I play that guitar out, I get at least one and usually several people come up to me and comment on what a stunning guitar it is. Does that make a difference about the guitar and how it plays and sounds? Nope. But it's still cool.

I mean, come on! Look at this:

Last edited by Methos1979; 05-19-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Slightly off topic, but isn't it a shame that pretty much any mention of CF gets a thread sent away from the general acoustic forum, into our little corner of the forum?

On topic: Raw CF looks great, but so do the woody veneers. Buy whichever makes you most lustful!
Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM

Some of the wood veneers are crazy awesome, but I am more of a function over form kind of person. I think those woods are beautiful, but I don't know that they buy me much personally because I don't really look at the guitar much when I am playing. I am generally too busy to stop and admire it the rest of the time. I just want a tough guitar I don't have to worry about and can keep out to grab whenever I am near.

I think if I were to get another CF guitar (with time and money not concerns), then I would go for something like the white doodle guitar that was on Emerald's website a few years ago (might still be there somewhere). Only I would have the doodles be events in my life and the background just be the natural carbon fiber.

K.I.S.S. is my motto. To put it another way with one of my favorite platitudes, "Knowledge comes from acquiring things. Wisdom comes from letting them go." I just need one decent guitar and can let the rest go. I still think I am not quite there, but the stock X20 is a lot closer than most guitars I have played and the Lucky is pretty darn good too. I still can't let either one of them go, so the wisdom isn't kicking in enough yet. In the meantime and in case you haven't heard it lately, thank you Alistair and Joe!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Slightly off topic, but isn't it a shame that pretty much any mention of CF gets a thread sent away from the general acoustic forum, into our little corner of the forum?

On topic: Raw CF looks great, but so do the woody veneers. Buy whichever makes you most lustful!
Not entirely true. It depends. In this case, the OP specifically stated in the thread title...”For carbon fibre acoustic guitar owners—wood top for looks?”. That’s pretty much directed to those who frequent this subforum, many who don’t bother to frequent the General.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM

Wood is wood and CF is CF....why disguise it. I really like CF in colors.....black/gray CF is soooo industrial. I saw a photo of a CF guitar with a stained red look....the CF pattern showed through.....nice.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:51 PM

I have one (Emerald X7-Life) with a fancy wood veneer and one (Rainsong Shorty SG) with about as plain a CF top as exists in this world. Doesn't make one bit of difference to me.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Like bsman, I have an X7 Opus that has that great looking carbon fiber weave. I also have an X20 that was one of last year's Select Series with a louro preto wood veneer... it knocks me out.

Whether to go with a wood veneer or a black or other CF weave color is pretty personal. I would say it is about what floats your boat and works with your budget. I think the Emerald woodies are striking and unique.

Like our homes, our vehicles, and the way each of us dresses, while a guitar is a tool for making music, it is also a personal statement. I have some wood guitars that I find striking: a burst finish or a nice grain structure. My 814ce has a tobacco burst finish... it sounds and plays like an 814 with a plain spruce top, but the look is unique.

My X7 is stock, but I appreciate it just as much as it's fancier big brother. My choice, yours may vary. That Emerald Balor bass is a great-looking acoustic/electric bass - carbon fiber weave or a unique wood veneer, either way you will have something very special. I don't see a bad decision with either.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 05-17-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:12 PM

I have some woodie CF and CF showing CFs.. like them all , don't really have a preference .... heck I even have a wood guitar with a veneer top...eKoa looks darn good the way it is. I like the honeycomb on my McPherson Touring too... gotta be something I don't like...Hmmmm,,???,,,
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-17-2018, 04:47 PM

I prefer the Amber carbon fiber look.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber