The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Default My Benedetto archtop just exploded.

So here I was, enjoying a rainy Sunday immensely. I was switching back and forth between sitting on the couch and playing my Benedetto archtop, and sitting in front of the computer perusing the AGF.

I was writing a reply to the archtop thread that I started a few days ago when I heard a really, really loud POP, followed by the sound of gorgeous pieces of tonewood raining down on an oak wood floor.

I jumped out of my seat, looked over to the couch where I left the Benedetto sitting and saw this:

Darn, this is not going to be good. I walked around to the front of the couch and found this:

I then looked around and found the tailpiece (the cause of all the trouble) and the bridge and saddle lying on the ground.

I was sitting about 12 feet from where the guitar was resting and a few of the pieces flew farther than that. It really gave me a healthy respect for the kind of tension these instruments have to withstand. I was fortunate that none of the pieces fell onto the guitar. I've looked it over and fortunately I can't find any damage to the guitar body. The bridge and saddle are also OK, they were just flung 15 feet into the air when everything gave way.

Unfortunately, the tailpiece is toast. It looks like the wood just gave way. The guitar was strung with EJ16 (12's) phosphor bronze strings - I don't think they should have created too much tension for the guitar. I'm bummed because this is a rather unique tailpiece. It's not a standard Benedetto tailpiece (which can be bought at Stew Mac). My options are probably to have it glued or replaced. Some of the splinters are missing, so I'm not sure that glue job would work or look that great.

Can anyone offer any reasons why this may have happened? Just a freak accident, or something more? The guitar was lying gently against the couch as shown in the photos. I've done that a million times with hundreds of other guitars and never had a problem. Any other "smoking gun" issues that you guys can identify?

Well, that's my sad story of an ideal Sunday gone bad. I'm going to write Mr. Benedetto right now to see what kind of assistance he may offer, if any. Even if I can buy another new tailpiece from him, it would be better than nothing.

Dang.

Last edited by backdrifter; 03-11-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Humanist

Sometimes wood just splits apart...as happened here.

I once had a bridge come off a flat-top guitar which was hanging on the wall at my old store...that also created quite a disturbing noise.

I'm sure you'll get some help from Benedetto, although the images/sounds will remain ingrained...

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 03-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Good lord!!

So sorry. No advice, but a ton of empathy. It appears that the guitar can be fully operational again...but wow. Flaw in the grain of the TP that finally gave way??
Old 03-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Scary! Glad to see there's no damage to the body. Your point about the incredible tension these instruments are under is right on...
Old 03-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the replies! Gotta love good old fashioned moral support! Yes, I agree, the guitar will be fully functional again after receiving a new (or repaired) tailpiece. I just think that unfortunately there is slim to no chance of getting a duplicate tailpiece unless I pay big bucks to have one custom made (not likely).

I just shot an email to Benedetto guitars via their website. I had a self-imposed issue with a Bambino that I owned once a few years ago and was very impressed with their response. Bob himself emailed me within a half hour of my inquiry and was very helpful. They certainly don't owe me anything on this 7 year old instrument that I am not the original owner of, but any assistance they provide will certainly be appreciated.

More to follow....

Last edited by backdrifter; 03-11-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Good lord!!

So sorry. No advice, but a ton of empathy. It appears that the guitar can be fully operational again...but wow. Flaw in the grain of the TP that finally gave way??
I once had a bridge pop off a guitar, but it was in its case when it happened. For some reason I always open my guitar case just before going to a gig. I don't know why, but I'm glad I have that habit. I was getting ready to go play, opened my case and there sat my (at the time) go-to guitar with the bridge off. Not exactly what you want to see just before a gig, but there was nothing I could do but take another guitar and worry about it later. The bridge came off clean. I took it to a luthier the following Monday and it was easily repaired.

Hope you had a backup guitar to play. Looks like a pretty simple repair job and if it's a flaw in the wood (which it appears to be) the builder will probably make it good.

BTW, that's a mighty pretty guitar. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 PM

I'm just waiting for someone to claim it must have been a humidity issue. Uh yeah, right. Sorry for this act of God. Just be thankful that it wasn't in your lap and you avoided injury. I look forward to seeing the post-repair photos. Doesn't look overly challenging on the repair side. I bet you get some great builder support Hang in there!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Nooooooooo!!!! That's terrible. Very sorry to see that. It looks like you've got all the pieces so a good luthier should be able to get that back together. A critical piece like that would be better made from micarta or something a little more sure than ebony in my opinion, and that piece is under a lot of tension.

My Andrews archtop uses a bronze tailpiece like this...

JR
Old 03-11-2012, 01:19 PM

Thanks guys, I'm already feeling better.

Mr. Rogers - that guitar is BEAUTIFUL! I recently discovered Mr. Andrew's guitars and have been drooling over them ever since. I would love to hear your thoughts on it and see more photos.

Fortunately, I do have other guitars to choose from. It looks like the rest of the day will be spent with my Collings. If the bridge flies off of that one too, then I'll be really bummed (and thinking that my guitars are possessed.....)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Woodworkers will tell you that a good glue job will make the piece even stronger than it was originally. So check with any good luthier. I don't think you looking at the end of the world. Keep all the pieces and keep them CLEAN until they can be put back together.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Wow. It looks like no damage was done to your guitar, a new tailpiece is an easy issue to get, I'm sure Bob can send you one tomorrow. I had a guitar (classical) that the bridge came off and wailed into the fingerboard end and gouged it and the soundhole, not to mention the pieces of top that came off with the bridge. To JR, many archtop builders use ebony tailpieces with NO issues (I think Bob was the first builder to champion ebony tailpieces with violin gut holding them on). This is a very freak occurance.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 PM

I was going to ask what you thought was going to happen when you lit that fuse...

Nice to hear that it is something easily rectified, even with another tailpiece.

TW
Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Wow. It looks like no damage was done to your guitar, a new tailpiece is an easy issue to get, I'm sure Bob can send you one tomorrow.
Agreed - but unfortunately, I doubt he'll make me a custom duplicate to the "Frank Vignola" tailpiece that I had on this guitar.
I certainly agree though - I'm fortunate in that this could have ended up much, much worse. I was quite relieved when I checked the entire guitar over and didn't find any other issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I was going to ask what you thought was going to happen when you lit that fuse...
Thanks, I could use some humor right now!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Sorry to hear about the archtop. That must have given you a sick feeling in your stomach. Good thing you weren't playing it when it snapped - strings flying around like whips could cause some nasty cuts.

Good luck on the repair.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Agreed - but unfortunately, I doubt he'll make me a custom duplicate to the "Frank Vignola" tailpiece that I had on this guitar.
I certainly agree though - I'm fortunate in that this could have ended up much, much worse. I was quite relieved when I checked the entire guitar over and didn't find any other issues!

Thanks, I could use some humor right now!
I bet Bob will make a duplicate, I have never owned a Benedetto, but in the times I've talked to Bob at various shows, he seems to be a very nice, caring fellow. Again, I think this is a one in a million failure (sorry you had to be THE one).

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops