The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-18-2018, 09:26 AM

Default Pat Metheny last nite

Wonderful show from Pat last nite. He played with a quartet, Gwilym Simcock on piano, Linda Oh on bass, Antonio Sanchez on drums. They pulled songs from his entire catalogue, he mentioned he had 500 to choose from. We heard Bright Size Life, Phase Dance on up. Much of it electric with the Ibanez, some Synth guitar, but the acoustic moments stole the show for me. Mesmerizing pieces that transported you, achingly beautiful melodies. Sound was impeccable at the Newman Theater in Denver. A cool moment when he opened with his 42 string Pikasso guitar, in the middle of a passage I watched him reach over and tweak a tuner. I can't eeven imagine... True genius, really a treat to get to see him again.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I haven't seen him in years. Thanks for the reminder. I may have to check his tour schedule. Sounds like a great group of musicians backing him up. What a treat!

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

ENjoyed the few shows I saw him do 30 years ago.
You're right about being melodic.
He hears, executes and gives us plenty to hang our musical hat on.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:48 PM

Default Another good one...

... but was it a great one? I can't forget his bigger bands and more ambitious projects, like secret Story and Orchestrion, or The Way Up. Projects that created a mood and concept and drilled down deep. Or the night he played Red Rocks, for an audience many times the size. But time moves on, and his moment of mass popularity seems to have moved on. too. But that was a live, responsive audience, wasn't it?

This was the same show as two years ago in Boulder, but the new band is more settled and sure, playing with more fire. Highlights for me were "Third Wind," which for a decade has been shortened to merely one wind when performed live. It starts with a sprint, then poops out. This time, Antonio's drum solo stood in for Lyle's bridge, and the sing proceeded to its final movement. Also, Every Day I Thank You, from 80/81, was played for the first time on my 20-some PM shows, with Linda dueting to fill the Hayden Memorial Chair. Afterwards, they shared a hug. The whole song sounded like a hug.

Technically, no new inventions this go-round. I thin Pat's moved on from Ibanez. I remember something about his new archtop from a European builder, and the net indicates he has a Manzer of similar appearance. Frankly, I thought his archtop tone sounded better years ago, but now he favors a dry, precise, snappy tone that reveals his ample supply of fingertip nuance. And from your perspective -- I was up in the rafters, above Antonio -- didn't that Steinway sound like a tinny electric piano?

I couldn't help notice how many seats were empty at the end. Maybe those culture-vulture season ticket holders didn't know what they were getting into. These oldies shows range from the sweetest to the most atonal, from the loudest to the softest. As my wife says, "the best and worst music I've ever heard." I'd like to think the best is yet to come, but four years after his last album, I'm not sure what to expect next?
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM

I'll be seeing this tour on Sunday, in a smaller theater outside of Seattle (no Seattle date!).

I first saw him with Gary Burton in 1976 and became a lifelong fan. One of my top few guitarist inspirations that has lasted.

Project-wise he may not be at his peak. He seems to be exploring different band members more than grand compositional ideas, and I still feel the impact of the absence of his biggest collaborator, Lyle Mays.

However, I've always seen him show up bursting with ideas and never failing to dig deep in order to get his guitar singing and talking. That attitude is enough for me to sit transfixed for the entire show.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-19-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Another big fan here. I go back 40 years, but I must confess to not keeping up with everything he does, or playing his records regularly these days.

On the other hand I try not to miss him in concert when he is nearby, whatever the lineup. My most recent show was just Pat and Ron Carter, and I was very close. That was sublime.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 AM

Default About Lyle

Lyle Mays actually has a new double album, "The Ludwigsburg Concert," on the Jazz Haus label. It's a 20-year-old live concert with his quartet, straight ahead jazz.

I think of Metheny/Mays like the great writing partnerships of Ellington/Strayhorn and Lennon/McCartney. But I no longer expect to hear new material from them. Lyle did an interview recently (Jazz Times?) where he indicated that jazz hold no interest for him, because it ignores the rich tools of drama, transition and composition found in classical music, his first love. He also suggested that the traditionalist Jazz Police discredited his work because of his use of synths.

As for Pat, I caught his lecture and Q&A at a music school two years ago. (Random observations: his body language was slouchy like a teenager, but his gestures were instantaneous, like he was catching flies out of the air; and he speaks in perfect paragraphs, full of elaborations and detail.) "Basically, I'm an improvising musician, in the live context," he emphasized... though he did say he has ten albums worth of new material already written.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN