The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-14-2021, 08:31 PM

I’m with Evan. Send me emails when you have something to show me. I don’t need one every day or two. I’m not cranky. I do get annoyed every time I go on their site and have to accept their cookie protocols before I can see anything. I have always felt their products were good enough they didn’t need to track me. I always wanted to follow them.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:07 AM

The cookies statement is something all websites must do by law in the EU, I believe. It's truly annoying, but I don't believe Emerald has a choice. Most of my websites each day have a similar popup that has to be removed before you begin. Thank governments and lawyers for this "consumer protection".

As to the Emerald emails--love them. It's refreshing to receive anything on CF guitars after endless streams of truly meaningless entries pass through my inboxes daily.

If I see Emerald in the subject line--I'm happy to give it a glance through--maybe even click on a link if it interests me (especially shipping videos).
Old 09-15-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yes yes, you all are right. I've been inundated with uninvited emails recently and obviously feeling a bit cranky about it. But, I've miss-spoken myself and promise I'll never do it again (until the next time). And thanks for the gentle rejoinders.
Evan! There you are!

I've been trying to reach you about your cars extended warranty!

Glad I finally found you.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
Good catch. But meh... Fishman Fluence pickups. I was hoping for the HyVibes.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-15-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I was hoping for the HyVibes.
I was hoping for that as well. That would have been pretty trick for a carbon fiber guitar of the future
Old 09-15-2021, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I like Emerald's emails. They typically only send one when there's something interesting (to watch).

But it probably doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out:

https://emeraldguitars.com/builder/#/virtuo
Interesting. When they announced the slimline, I commented on Facebook or YouTube that it would be really cool with a humbucker by the bridge as well.

Apparently they were listening
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-15-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I’m not disappointed because Emerald has already publicly stated a commitment to HyVibe, so it’s not “instead of” but “and.”

Alistair has also forgiven Captain Jim for his Fishman Fluence sins(maybe Captain Jim was the inspiration for the new model?). Alistair has even allowed people to play Takamines at Emeraldfest.

My question is, will the Virtuo cannibalize X10 sales? And to what degree will having built in pickups affect the acoustic sound?

Last edited by esimms86; 09-15-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Two completely different animals, no?

There's room for both, and each choice will appeal to a very different type of player.
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I have a set of Fishman Fluence pickups on an SG, and I have to say I really like 'em. On that guitar.

In regards to pickups on the top of an acoustic affecting the sound: I think it has to have some effect. I really like my X10 with the Krivo humbucking pickup and the individual piezos, but I think that guitar is perhaps a bit quieter acoustically as a result. It still has a lovely balanced acoustic sound, though. It is designed to shine at its best when plugged in.

What Emerald is doing with slim-body and additional pickup designs will likely offend some "purists," but they are giving players some great options for plugged-in sounds.

I've said it before: it's a great time to be a carbon fiber guitar player - so many good options.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was hoping for that as well. That would have been pretty trick for a carbon fiber guitar of the future
I was just poking around in the builder, and the HyVibe is now a selectable pickup system for most models. It’s not an option for the X10 Slimline though - presumably because the body is too thin for the control panel to be mounted on the side.
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-15-2021, 11:01 AM

Well it seems like you guys got the scoop early. Somehow the Virtuo went live on the builder a day early and someone picked up on it just before us.
Watch my launch video tonight and you'll get some further info on the Virtuo but Im happy to fill you guys in a little early as you have all been great supporters on this platform.
The Virtuo is something I have been developing for the past 18 months and was actually the birth place of much of the innovation that has already been put out on other models such as the adjustable saddles and the slim body X10 design. in a way the Virtuo is the prequel and the X10 slim was the Sequel but we tend to do things out of order in Emerald land.
The X10 Slim is aimed at a true acoustic player where we have done everything to preserve the acoustic tone both plugged and unplugged. The Virtuo is very much aimed as an amplified acoustic guitar where its design and construction have been focused on making the best plugged in experience for both stage and studio.
The pickup configuration gives an incredible array of tonal options that Studio guys that have been road testing it have been getting really excited about and for a stage performer that jumps between acoustic and electric it is the ultimate versatile tool.
I always wanted to build an electric guitar but with the Virtuo we have achieved that while still staying pure to our acoustic roots.
I hope you will be as excited about this guitar as I am, its something really special.
Covid has changed our lives in many ways but for me it has been a creative shot in the arm. I hope you will enjoy the results.
Oh and for those disappointed its not a Hyvibe guitar perhaps you should have a look at the 3D builder as we have now made Hyvibe an option across our range.
If you have any questions please leave them here for me and I will check back later if possible.
Thanks for all the support and Inspiration
Alistair
Old 09-15-2021, 12:23 PM
Guest 928

It's pretty cool when a maker keeps an eye on forum responses and weighs in on the conversation. You don't see that very often.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

This new instrument sounds like a fine addition to the Emerald product line - something truly different. Earlier in this thread, I said that big build ups tend to make the actual announcement anti-climatic for me, and I was speaking in general terms rather than specifically about Emerald.

However, this new Virtuo does seem to be something different, possibly in similar market space as Taylor's T5z, though obviously as different as Emerald is from everything else in all their models.

Congratulations on another fine product.

I think the most tempting Emerald product to me at this time is the Kestrel, though the saddle string spacing at 2" seems a bit narrow. Maybe that is typical for archtops, though I have not measured mine. I do think, though that my guitar buying days are behind me unless I tripped over $4k somewhere unexpectedly.

If Alistair is reading this, I don't know if you read the thread I started here recently regarding David Eastman's and my meeting to try each other guitars, but we both were definitely concluded that between it and my Sable, it is pretty much a wash. I am impressed. That is definitely saying something good, since to me, the Sable represents incredible attention to detail in manufacturing and is likely the "keeper" out of my whole collection. I do like the X20's somewhat wider saddle string spacing for fingerstyle.

Tony

Last edited by tbeltrans; 09-15-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Well it seems like you guys got the scoop early. Somehow the Virtuo went live on the builder a day early and someone picked up on it just before us.

Watch my launch video tonight and you'll get some further info on the Virtuo but Im happy to fill you guys in a little early as you have all been great supporters on this platform.

The Virtuo is something I have been developing for the past 18 months and was actually the birth place of much of the innovation that has already been put out on other models such as the adjustable saddles and the slim body X10 design. in a way the Virtuo is the prequel and the X10 slim was the Sequel but we tend to do things out of order in Emerald land.

The X10 Slim is aimed at a true acoustic player where we have done everything to preserve the acoustic tone both plugged and unplugged. The Virtuo is very much aimed as an amplified acoustic guitar where its design and construction have been focused on making the best plugged in experience for both stage and studio.

The pickup configuration gives an incredible array of tonal options that Studio guys that have been road testing it have been getting really excited about and for a stage performer that jumps between acoustic and electric it is the ultimate versatile tool.

I always wanted to build an electric guitar but with the Virtuo we have achieved that while still staying pure to our acoustic roots.

I hope you will be as excited about this guitar as I am, its something really special.

Covid has changed our lives in many ways but for me it has been a creative shot in the arm. I hope you will enjoy the results.

Oh and for those disappointed its not a Hyvibe guitar perhaps you should have a look at the 3D builder as we have now made Hyvibe an option across our range.

If you have any questions please leave them here for me and I will check back later if possible.

Thanks for all the support and Inspiration

Alistair

Is the neck shape different than an X20 neck?
Old 09-15-2021, 01:44 PM

--------------

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber