The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 PM

Default No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I hear ya loud and clear and certainly didn’t mean to sound so blunt. I’m actually just perpetuating a silly nonsense question I asked in the first place because who cares. In the end we all just love guitars. One Love!
No worries, thanks for keeping it real

Another aspect to this, is sometimes critics are not critics at all, but rather very crafty salesmen who do not sell the brands they put down.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
I've had 13 PRSi. If you like a Strat, check out the John Mayer Silver Sky, highly recommended!
The new PRS John Mayer is going to be a big seller. Do you have one?
Old 01-21-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I don’t but if I had the money I would buy one. Truly the best of both worlds , a Strat and PRS.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I don’t but if I had the money I would buy one. Truly the best of both worlds , a Strat and PRS.
The thing that impressed me most of the John Mayer model when I first read about it is the price. Very affordable when compared to the standard PRS core models; $2300. Of course, that's still a lot of $.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I do, a red one. Wouldn't you know they would make a green one, (my fav. color, just announced at Namm?).
They fixed the stupid chord receptacle on regular Strats! I've had about 6 Strats, and this guitar shuts all of them down. Try one if you can, superb!
Old 01-24-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I do, a red one. Wouldn't you know they would make a green one, (my fav. color, just announced at Namm?).
They fixed the stupid chord receptacle on regular Strats! I've had about 6 Strats, and this guitar shuts all of them down. Try one if you can, superb!
Yep, I saw the new colors this morning online. How do you like the radius on yours? It's 7.5" or 7.25"? Very vintage spec.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think Red is still my favorite color but the new Golden Mesa would be right there also

Here is and interesting (if long) comparison of S- style alternatives to Fender from Andertons YouTube channel. Which includes the Silver Sky

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-25-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The thing that impressed me most of the John Mayer model when I first read about it is the price. Very affordable when compared to the standard PRS core models; $2300. Of course, that's still a lot of $.
When I bought my first PRS SC245 back around 8-10 years ago, I paid $2200 out the door. Amazing how prices go up over time.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Yep, I saw the new colors this morning online. How do you like the radius on yours? It's 7.5" or 7.25"? Very vintage spec.
I don't notice the radius at all, easy to get around on. In the past year I've gotten used to a 2018 Gibson SG hp, with the larger sized neck, so not really an issue for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:15 PM

Paul explains it. PRS was VERY close to going under, however Paul Jackson Jr, who had the American Idol gig, saved the company. This exposure and promotion in front of MILLIONS of TV viewers every week rekindled interest in PRS guitars, and they are now technically the third guitar company after Gibson and Fender.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 AM

I think most players, whether they are a fan of PRS or not, would state that PRS has the most consistent quality assurance among Gibson/Fender/PRS. What I mean by that is you're less likely to pull a PRS off the wall and notice detail imperfections (i.e. binding imperfections).

On another note, I bought this book last year and it's a great read.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Paul explains it. PRS was VERY close to going under, however Paul Jackson Jr, who had the American Idol gig, saved the company. This exposure and promotion in front of MILLIONS of TV viewers every week rekindled interest in PRS guitars, and they are now technically the third guitar company after Gibson and Fender.
Great interview. Thanks for posting it.

I found the whole internet uproar over the Silver Sky to be a pretty interesting treatise on the human condition and the convoluted notions and mythology that people subscribe to.
I remember one statement by a self anointed electric guitar pundit that the Silver Sky would be dead in the water in 6 months, and die a quick death once they hit the dealers !!! . People are so funny
A year in now and the local independent dealer in Ft Collins still cannot keep a Silver Sky in stock long enough to even "hang it on the wall " He gets them in, in ones and two's and then calls up the top few people on the waiting list, and they are out the door in hours , such that I still have not been able to get my hands on one to try .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-27-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think most players, whether they are a fan of PRS or not, would state that PRS has the most consistent quality assurance among Gibson/Fender/PRS. What I mean by that is you're less likely to pull a PRS off the wall and notice detail imperfections (i.e. binding imperfections).

On another note, I bought this book last year and it's a great read.
Yes Paul describes (in the posted interview) it as having a narrower window of quality control, than the other two , and constantly moving towards the "better" end of the spectrum .
Interestingly enough I am actually pretty thankful that I did give up on electric guitar for some 47 years because when I got back in I had no long established preconceived notions about tone or brand. And even though I assumed I would get a Fender or Gibson , that is not how it turned out and I could not be happier.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-27-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:50 PM

I got into electrics in my late 40s. While I knew what some classic designs were, I did not know all the details of fan boy and tribal behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I have been playing Gibson’s since I was 16, 47 years now. I have had SGs, Les Pauls, 330,335,345, Juniors, and still play the Melody Maker with TTop PAFs I bought as a Junior in high school.

My PRS McCarty stays in tune.
The superb build quality stood out immediately. Some were too bright and fancy for my tastes but every one I touched was so well made. I became obsessed with the hollow body series and had a nice one.

Quote:
Paul's story of success is an American wonder. Anyone who bashes his legacy or his guitars is just ignorant, cheap, or jealous. Why even discuss?
How I feel even though my PRS did not end up in the two that have had me GAS-free for years.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:36 PM

As a longtime PRS player (since 1999) I'm well aware of the stereotyping and chirping about PRS guitars.

I also don't care. Guitars are tools to an end, and if one kind doesn't work for your sound, then go get one that does.

What I will try to get across to electric guitar buyers today is that PRS, besides its well-deserved rep for the tightest QC in the business, has never stopped trying to get better.

Case in point: Its pickups. I had McCarty and Hollowbody-II guitars that were wonderful guitars, but back in the early 2000s the pickups were just blah, and PRS got a rep for sounding sterile. (I'd go put in Seymour Duncans or Classic 57s and get the sound I was after.)

But Paul Reed Smith never stopped trying to get better sounding pickups. He developed the excellent 57/08 pickup (clear, open PAF style) and the hotter 59/09 version. He found a stash of old wire and made the 53/10 pickups, the vintage pickup to kill them all, till he ran out of wire and now they're unobtainium. The current 58/15 pickups are terrific too, in the 594 guitars.

Those series of pickups were the missing piece to PRS guitars. If you tried PRS years ago, and found them blah-sounding ... you might want to try a newer McCarty with 57/08s or a 594 with the 58/15s. I think you'll be surprised. They're complete now.

Developing a Strat-style guitar last year brought PRS another dumptruck full of Internet hate, except for the fact that they're pretty great, and the PRS factory is back ordered on them.

Point is, PRS never quits looking for ways to get better. I was away from the brand for about 10-12 years in the 2000s, then came back about 2013 or so. I found not just the pickups had improved, but the rest of the guitars seemed better: small things like tuners, hardware, bridges had gotten better too, and they made for a more "unified" guitar.

These are the best guitars they've ever made, and they've been at it a while.

=K

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars